Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez, last memory I have of mine was in the 80s. Either on a '81 6 month sojourn to Europe or a mid 80s one week blitz/drive from London to Edinburgh and back(special massively discounted ticket:). Anyway my walkman had duct tape holding it together. I think you call it gaffer tape. I was getting ready to board the plane in Heathrow back to the States. I honestly can't remember which trip it was. The customs guy took it out of my rucksack, and eyed it suspiciously. IIRC there had been some airline bombing recently. So to convince him it was in fact a tape player, I pushed play...and the Sex Pistols blasted out :D
Odds on any other time most likely would have been a mixed tape.

I was heavily involved in tape trees in the 80s into the mid 90s, so I'm pretty sure my Walkman had a "low gen" tape of some Pink Floyd show or another...

"Low gen" for me was probably 4, I wasn't at the pointy end of those trees... :cool:

Yes, we've lost a few greats these past days...

Andy Fletcher...many thanks for the ride, even though you guys did let me down over the cancelled Festival Hall gig in 1993...as the comments say, this is one of the great live videos in the history of pop, and the beginning of a new dawn for so many Gen X kids in the USA...

Alan White...I was more a No man, but still, he'd be in the pantheon for his work here, keeping that backbeat for one of the immortal 45s...

Vangelis..no words needed...a musical genius.

Last edited:
something that got me through Hump Day :)
I love this song, I always imagine a wooden floor getting stomped into splinters

a German band that was obviously fond of the Pogues

and dedicated to the US GOP, Fox News, and the Q-tips

"Now it's dark..."

Still remember walking into Gaslight, late 1989 on a wet Saturday morning...on the import wall, a just released album in the US from a singer who's name I knew from the Blue Velvet soundtrack. The soundtrack itself was hard to find and I had loved the track Mysteries of Love. Lo and behold, this new release had the song. My mind ticked over...$34 was bloody expensive for a 19 year old in those days. But bugger it...the Cats had just lost a GF, and when I saw in very small writing on the back of the CD that it was "Produced by David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti", I thought the risk on an unknown album was worth it.

33 years later and the dreamland Julee Cruise, David and Angelo created with Floating Into the Night remains one of the great artistic gifts. 10 sublime songs of love found (Side A) and love lost (Side B), it's perfection and mystery forever precious.

At a Twin Peaks convention, the somewhat reclusive Julee sang a couple of the songs to backing tracks...'how can you not cry when singing 'The World Spins'?' she would later say. Pass the tissues...

"Now it's dark..."

Still remember walking into Gaslight, late 1989 on a wet Saturday morning...on the import wall, a just released album in the US from a singer who's name I knew from the Blue Velvet soundtrack. The soundtrack itself was hard to find and I had loved the track Mysteries of Love. Lo and behold, this new release had the song. My mind ticked over...$34 was bloody expensive for a 19 year old in those days. But bugger it...the Cats had just lost a GF, and when I saw in very small writing on the back of the CD that it was "Produced by David Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti", I thought the risk on an unknown album was worth it.

33 years later and the dreamland Julee Cruise, David and Angelo created with Floating Into the Night remains one of the great artistic gifts. 10 sublime songs of love found (Side A) and love lost (Side B), it's perfection and mystery forever precious.

At a Twin Peaks convention, the somewhat reclusive Julee sang a couple of the songs to backing tracks...'how can you not cry when singing 'The World Spins'?' she would later say. Pass the tissues...

Thanks for that, James1970 . I caught news of Julee's demise yesterday and felt immediately... "off." Not really fan-sorrow as I didn't pay close attention to her, but her work with David Lynch indelibly etched itself into my head. During the initial Twin Peaks airing in the US, a close friend and I always watched the new eps religiously, as in leaving restaurant meals early to catch the broadcast. My friend Jen succumbed to ALS a few years ago, and now Falling is part of my mental tribute to her.

All of that resurfaced when I heard about Julee...

I’ve got my ticket for the Good Things festival in Melbourne on December 2. The only reason I’m going is to see TISM - my favourite all-time Aussie band (along with Skyhooks). They haven’t done any live gigs since 2004… If you don’t know who TISM are then you seriously need to get with the program!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A phenomenal find and upload by the Ed Sullivan gang...obscure garage band The Remains in colour, plugged in, with red-headed go-go dancers (girl behind the drummer on fire)...still 1965, so the suits are a perfect cut...

Liked for the go-gos :grinv1:

Is the keyboards missing? Harmonica came through on his mike though. Sounds like they were knicking some early Yardbirds riffs.

i can, and do, talk for hours about both those subjects if someone will let me. i would be thrilled to do the above. one of my mates in adelaide i met through playing in bands. we were chatting about the beatles the first time we met, he is a huge fan too. i told him there were two things i could talk forever on, the beatles and geelong. following footy is not that cool in the adelaide music scene (bit too 'blokey'), but it turned out he was a huge cats fan, too. hes moved to melbourne now, though.

its kind of a running joke with my friends - 'you know paul mccartney...', then queue the laughter as another conversation gets turned onto the beatles.

im an 80s kid, and i grew up with all those amazing bands too.

brian wilson has a claim to being a far better composer than any of the beatles, but he also wrote a lot of naff stuff. im a huge fan, but i dont see how the beach boys catalogue comes close to matching the beatles. too many misses. same with the stones, especially post mid-70s - they became a parody of themselves.

the white album itself displays perfectly why i place them well above every other 60s band - music hall jazz, screaming rock, acoustic country, electronic sound pastiche, beach boys knock offs, acoustic balladry, all done brilliantly, and all written by one person. then add lennon and harrisons broad contributions (all brilliant), and there you have it. stylistically diverse, brilliant in every style - no band can lay claim to that. the others were good at what they do, but the beatles were good at everything.

the beatles record (1962-70) - 14 albums, countless brilliant singles (which werent on albums), every single one a classic of popular music... they could write formulaic songs, but they could never write bad songs. and they werent taught, it was all intuition. and it was unbelieveable intuition.

have a close listen to 'she loves you', and pay attention to the chord change under - 'she said she loves you, and you know that cant be bad... yeah she loves you and you know that cant be bad'.

the chord under the bolded part is a C minor in the key of G major. technically, thats wrong - by music theory that is meant to be C major. but it is, in my opinion, the greatest chord change they wrote.

these days, changes like that are common place, but in the music of the time, it was almost exclusively the 3 major chords and one relative minor. but they went from 'love me do' to 'tomorrow never knows' in about 3 and a half years.

never rested on their laurels and pumped out an imitation of their previous single, never stuck with a winning formula. by the time everyone caught on to psychedelia, the beatles had moved onto stripped back acoustic music on the white album. soon, everyone had moved on from psychedelia, and were doing what the beatles had done.

they smashed the mould, and did it in only 8 years, and didnt dilute their legacy with reunions, or crappy albums in their 70s (though mccartney is laying claims to this as a solo artist unfortunately).

the beatles have a magic and listenability that no other band touches. no matter my mood, if the beatles go on, i will love listening. cannot say that about anything else.

and, legitimately unintentionally, ive ended up running my mouth over the beatles in written form :oops:

as per the above, i actually claim the beatles to be the most underrated band of all time. they are rated hugely, but not hugely enough. its not a popular opinion with my friends, but i have actually converted a few to that view. whether with compelling argument or belligerence, i do not know. im going with compelling argument though, at least in one case :)

some of the solo records are mind blowing! 'all things must pass', 'band on the run', 'mccartney' (released same time as let it be), 'imagine', 'plastic ono band'...

i was born in '84, so i missed the vibe surrounding them at the time, but i think it still exists.

agree re the downloading - anyone downloading the beatles is missing the point!

i blew more than a student can afford on both box sets. my collection has so many doubled up beatles songs, because i cant help buying everything they release, which these days has always been released previously.

the remasters were a brilliant new take on the old catalogue, though. love them.
But, as good as The Beatles are, they can’t compare to Fela Kuti & Afrika 70 - Paul McCartney himself said that Fela and his band are the greatest thing he has ever heard - he was brought to tears when he saw Fela live in Lagos, Nigeria during the recording of Wings’ album, Band On The Run.

Fela was the inventor of Afrobeat. His band boasted the greatest drummer of all-time, the incredible Tony Allen.

Sure, The Beatles are great and I absolutely love them, but my admiration for their music pales in comparison to what I feel when Fela turns up the rhythm.

I have everything The Beatles ever released + all of Fela’s 77 albums. Both musical giants.

But there is only one real king of music: the legendary Fela Anikulapo Kuti!

P.S. I was there on my father’s shoulders when The Beatles appeared on the balcony of the Southern Cross Hotel in Melbourne in 1964.

Fela Kuti: Alu Jon Jonki Jon

Fela with Paul, Afrika Shrine, Lagos, Nigeria, 1974
5173AFEE-ECAD-4428-AE4F-86CA7E160EC5.jpeg

Last edited:
...and one of the landmark TV performances in rock n' roll history...the energy levels from the first bar...Tina and the Ikettes breaking into The Swim at 3.10 then that groove of Bold Soul Sister kicking in (pretty much the backbone of every 1990s dance track)...ohhh, baby...

When Tina was Tina, not her Simply The Best rubbish.

Not the nicest bloke was Ike but one hell of a musician.
Yeah, Tina's book rendered him persona non grata. Like it or not, Ike Turner was a musical pioneer.

Yeah, Tina's book rendered him persona non grata. Like it or not, Ike Turner was a musical pioneer.

Some claim Rocket 88 was the first-ever rock’n’roll record.

A friend of mine (now deceased) spent some time with Ike in a recording studio back in the day. She said that, besides being a brilliant guitarist, he was a great saxophonist. She also said that he absolutely hated white guys because when he was a kid, he saw his dad cop a brutal beating from a bunch of palefaces - In the clip of Ike and Tina posted above, you can see that there’s a white saxophonist in the band, so I don’t know the truth of that.

Last edited:

An eternal classic for me. The effortless usage of her voice is awesome. Went to see the Seekers with parents at the Myer Music Bowl as a grumpy kid, but was mesmerised by their songs even back then.
Pretty sure Judith would have had no idea how many young and old men were besotted with her beauty either. Very apt song title.

Last edited:

An eternal classic for me. The effortless usage of her voice is awesome. Went to see the Seekers with parents at the Myer Music Bowl as a grumpy kid, but was mesmerised by their songs even back then.
Pretty sure Judith would have had no idea how many yoing and old men wefre besotted with her beauty either. Very apt song title.

As is this one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back