Strategy The Phil Walsh gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason we are slow out of the blocks is our lack of clean possession. We just fumble or drop marks which allows the opposition to catch us on the hop time and time again. If we were clean from the outset we would be the ones jumping the opposition. The Port game was a bit like that until we fumbled Port to an easy win.

The reason we are slow out of the blocks is our lack of clean possession. We just fumble or drop marks which allows the opposition to catch us on the hop time and time again. If we were clean from the outset we would be the ones jumping the opposition. The Port game was a bit like that until we fumbled Port to an easy win.
Get CEY in the bounces then. Has the cleanest pair of hands in our team.

Get CEY in the bounces then. Has the cleanest pair of hands in our team.

We have to do something. I can only presume Phil is addressing the issue and if we had clean possession we would do damage to the scoreboard. I guess its all about the long term view of teaching the side to play his way for the coming years. No point going ultra defensive at the start and stalling development in the name of trying to bore an opposition side to death to snare the odd win. Doesn't teach kids anything.

We have to do something. I can only presume Phil is addressing the issue and if we had clean possession we would do damage to the scoreboard. I guess its all about the long term view of teaching the side to play his way for the coming years. No point going ultra defensive at the start and stalling development in the name of trying to bore an opposition side to death to snare the odd win. Doesn't teach kids anything.

I haven't had the courage to watch the replay yet, but I seem to recall that the commentators said at the start of the first quarter that we had started with an extra man in defence. Was this designed to keep the game tight for a while? It certainly didn't work as Brisbane used their extra man to create havoc as they slingshot the ball out of our D50. I think the commentators also said that we evened up the numbers once we were 4 goals down (or perhaps I was yelling for them to do this). Things certainly changed from this point and we controlled the game for the last three quarters although we almost managed to lose it with our horrible disposal.

How will we set up against Geelong? They have a conga line of AHs (Enright, Taylor, Mackie) willing and able to cut us up if we leave an extra man at each end. It was my impression that we played a 6/6/6 formation for most of the Hawthorn game. Is this the way to go this week? Jacobs winning the ruck and our boys winning the clearances will make this much easier.

Lyons hands are on par as well.

We really need to trade that kid for his own sake.
I'm not interested in his own sake, if he is good enough then he will play.
And if he is that good, then he'll have offers coming in around 10 weeks time, at which point the club should be looking to move him on whilst there is value.

I thought that extra man back was a good idea, if for no other reason than at least we tried something. If one didnt work, I'd put two there this week.

In addition though, based on the info from a knowledgeable mate who has seen us live a couple of times this season, I would start with unusual setups in the forward line. With especially a funnel type setup. Start the forwards out wide and then have them run in to the centre, with perhaps one key forward right up front. I watched some of our early centre clearances against Bris and I think that setup would have worked well. We might get lots of clearances but they are haphazard at best and a lot of the time the centre contest extends into our half forward area which blocks it more than moves it into attack, so with that removed because the forwards are out wide it would help. Often our centre clearance kicks are from already out wide, at least with the forwards positioned out wide to start with this wouldn't be a bad spot from which to kick it inside them to get them to run into attacking positions still.

We never seem out of a game, which is a positive and a negative. Positive because it means we're competitive, but negative because we're never being belted and therefore cant try experimentation with abovementioned setups (or even a huddle out of fullback - have we even done that once this season).

We need to change up the centre square quartet. We usually arrest a bad start when jj goes in ruck, so start him to give more mobility around the contest. Start thommo forward. Have Betts & Cameron running off the back of the square. Try something different as not working at the moment.

We need to change up the centre square quartet. We usually arrest a bad start when jj goes in ruck, so start him to give more mobility around the contest. Start thommo forward. Have Betts & Cameron running off the back of the square. Try something different as not working at the moment.
We've been starting with a spare at the back haven't we? So effectively a five man forward line. This isn't working.

I haven't had the courage to watch the replay yet, but I seem to recall that the commentators said at the start of the first quarter that we had started with an extra man in defence. Was this designed to keep the game tight for a while? It certainly didn't work as Brisbane used their extra man to create havoc as they slingshot the ball out of our D50. I think the commentators also said that we evened up the numbers once we were 4 goals down (or perhaps I was yelling for them to do this). Things certainly changed from this point and we controlled the game for the last three quarters although we almost managed to lose it with our horrible disposal.

How will we set up against Geelong? They have a conga line of AHs (Enright, Taylor, Mackie) willing and able to cut us up if we leave an extra man at each end. It was my impression that we played a 6/6/6 formation for most of the Hawthorn game. Is this the way to go this week? Jacobs winning the ruck and our boys winning the clearances will make this much easier.
If we allow Geelong to play extras in defence we might as well not rock up. This is a good test of Walsh's tactical nouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been starting with a spare at the back haven't we? So effectively a five man forward line. This isn't working.
Yes, often.

We actually just need to get clean possession & slow down the play for the 1st 5 mins. Get our composure then gun it!

We've beecoming in from the defensive side of the centre squaren starting with a spare at the back haven't we? So effectively a five man forward line. This isn't working.
IMHO Walshy uses quite a few variations compared to Sando.

Often he starts games by starting Eddie on the defensive side of the centre square (not really a spare man in defence). If the other team uses a 5 man forward line, he sometimes uses the loose man quite deep and on other occasions he is positioned half a kick from the stoppage. I'm sure there is a good reason for each set-up but it isn't obvious to me.

On Saturday it almost seemed like someone had sold Brisbane our game plan. They loaded up their defence with extra players and when we turned the ball over (who would have thought we'd do that), they used linking handballs and their quicker players (Zorko, Taylor) to charge through the midfield and kick over our extra man to one-on-ones.

I had the feeling that Phil was testing out a few things in the pre-season match against Geelong. It should be a very interesting tactical game on Sunday.

i'd like to see us try three pairs forward. Eddie and Tex, Jets and JJ, Thommo & Danger.

with Jenkins and Tex deep forward and use the space with the crumbers under their feet. then station Thommo and Danger at CHF 20m apart, which give us two contested ball animals in this zone.

then throw faith in the midfield to get their hands on it, a clear possession targets Jenkins or Walker into a hot spot.

a mung entry brings Dangerfield and Thommo into play and giving them 2-3 secs to get possession before the area is saturated. the press is formed behind the CHF that is targeted, the non targeted CHF becomes part of defensive press. Eddie and Jets lock down on exits.

we simply must hit the scoreboard as much as possible early...

IMHO Walshy uses quite a few variations compared to Sando.

Often he starts games by starting Eddie on the defensive side of the centre square (not really a spare man in defence). If the other team uses a 5 man forward line, he sometimes uses the loose man quite deep and on other occasions he is positioned half a kick from the stoppage. I'm sure there is a good reason for each set-up but it isn't obvious to me.

On Saturday it almost seemed like someone had sold Brisbane our game plan. They loaded up their defence with extra players and when we turned the ball over (who would have thought we'd do that), they used linking handballs and their quicker players (Zorko, Taylor) to charge through the midfield and kick over our extra man to one-on-ones.

I had the feeling that Phil was testing out a few things in the pre-season match against Geelong. It should be a very interesting tactical game on Sunday.
That's the thing hey. Are we predisposed to want to start the game with a spare back or are we being reactionary to other teams tactics. I remember 2004 , 2005 the situation with the huddle on kicking in from a behind. It was put across as a tactic we were using but also it was stated at times it was used against us. It's going to be interesting to get more info from posters who are being observant and giving input in this thread about our set up patterns and noticing the different variations in our midfield rotations.
One thing I have noticed as well is how teams that have the momentum or have stoppage ascendancy are controlling the play on the opposite wing from interchange and hence can stymie the oppositions bench rotation and also the set play where there's a switch of play in the backline and a quick mid will be waiting on the interchange and will swap with a half forward type and create a line break on the counter with a mismatch. I've seen this used against us a bit but not us use it very often.

Spot on. It was good coaching from Leppitsch. Opposition teams would be well aware how atrocious Adelaide's kicking is. All they need to do is load the back lines up and watch us turn it over.

Even worse was how their running handball game tore us to pieces off HB and through the centre. We just looked so slow and stagnant in comparison. It highlights how speed is a major deficiency for us and it provides our opponents with a simple blue print on how to beat us.

Lyons hands are on par as well.

We really need to trade that kid for his own sake.

We could potentially lose Thompson and Danger at the end of the year. I think it would be foolish to trade him out now.

That's the thing hey. Are we predisposed to want to start the game with a spare back or are we being reactionary to other teams tactics. I remember 2004 , 2005 the situation with the huddle on kicking in from a behind. It was put across as a tactic we were using but also it was stated at times it was used against us. It's going to be interesting to get more info from posters who are being observant and giving input in this thread about our set up patterns and noticing the different variations in our midfield rotations.
One thing I have noticed as well is how teams that have the momentum or have stoppage ascendancy are controlling the play on the opposite wing from interchange and hence can stymie the oppositions bench rotation and also the set play where there's a switch of play in the backline and a quick mid will be waiting on the interchange and will swap with a half forward type and create a line break on the counter with a mismatch. I've seen this used against us a bit but not us use it very often.
Last para....good!:)

Can't help feeling that for most of our games we start with defensive mind set and structure. We are not looking to 'win' the 1st quarter so much as more hold the game and then go from there. It is so much a part of the Crows now I wonder can we handle a good solid 'out of the blocks' 1st quarter. Please let us be more the 'master of our own destiny' and 'take the game on from the get go'. C'mon Crows!

Can't help feeling that for most of our games we start with defensive mind set and structure. We are not looking to 'win' the 1st quarter so much as more hold the game and then go from there. It is so much a part of the Crows now I wonder can we handle a good solid 'out of the blocks' 1st quarter. Please let us be more the 'master of our own destiny' and 'take the game on from the get go'. C'mon Crows!
I think that's been borne out of our crappy starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back