Strategy The Phil Walsh gameplan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you elaborate on that 1 sentence crap statement?
How was I being a sucky smart arse?
Resorting to name calling because our opinions don't match mine is juvenile.
My bet is face to face you wouldn't have the guts to say that to me directly so don't do it here mate.
You seriously pulling out that last line?

Now to elaborate. I made an observation of a tactic which I didn't like and I don't think it will work. Your response? It was sucky and smart arse. Sucky because you seem to defend everything the club does and smart arse because it was. Go read it again.

You seriously pulling out that last line?

Now to elaborate. I made an observation of a tactic which I didn't like and I don't think it will work. Your response? It was sucky and smart arse. Sucky because you seem to defend everything the club does and smart arse because it was. Go read it again.

All I said was its game 2 NAB, & it was at Kardinia Park where Geelong hardly ever lose. Not sucky, not smart arse.
I'm looking for positives this time of year especially with Phil Fages & Roo on board. You always seem to be looking at the negatives. Let's just agree to disagree.

A game plan that involves moving your best forwards into defence leaving your weaker forwards to be outnumbered and on the end of shitty kicks will never work perfectly. It is dumb as was your post.
that's obviously not "The Phil Walsh gameplan"

its the NAB cup, he's throwing people around everywhere to see what they can give him - he's trying to watch and see how well they can function outside their comfort zones.

Very pleased with the overall team's work rate, but certainly not it's efficiency of usage of the ball. At one point in the 3rd quarter the efficiency was something like Geelong 78%, Adelaide 65%. Increase that efficiency rate in the match to say 75% and we would have won the game.

Too many easy shots for goal missed, which was one of our trademarks from last year. Apart from that though, I was really happy with our intensity and work rate, tackling etc. Playing O'Brien as the lead ruck in place of Jacobs naturally weakened what would normally have been a strong advantage to us and Geelong capitalised on this in the first quarter when they got some very easy goals which proved to be match-winning for them. However he does look a player of the future and these are only practice games, so no problems with that.

Others have mentioned that our key forwards played too high, and that proved to be the case. However, if our usage of the ball had been better, there were a couple of goals for the taking if we had used the ball properly when trying to give it to them as they doubled back. I like the high set-up when Danger is in the square but not so much as a normal set-up when he isn't. Walker played pretty well, but there was no 2nd Walker to get the ball when he drove it forward from a long way out. Betts also played well, both up forward and on ball. Class footballer.

Bonuses: Van Berlo. Excellent game tonight. Ellis-Yolmen had a pretty good game and looks like he will play games at some stage this year. Cheney showed he will be a hardy desperate defender, while O'Brien definitely will be a player of the future and will prove to be a superb rookie pick-up.

Of the established players, Talia was outstanding, not giving Hawkins a sniff at any stage. Brad Crouch had a top game while Dangerfield was menacing for the last 3 quarters. Eddie betts and Walker both had several good moments while Laird and Brown were also useful defenders.

Problem Areas: We are one defensive tall light on at the moment against teams like Geelong, Port, Sydney as witnessed by Clark's 6 goals tonight. Hartigan is very green at this stage and needs time before he will become a reliable defensive tall - we really missed Rutten. Also, IMO Jenkins played a poor soft game and needs to HTFU and give a greater effort than he did tonight. Further to that when he was relieving in ruck it was a gimme to the Geelong mids, as he never looked like touching it at the ball-ups.

Having said all the negatives, there's no doubt that we will work on them, and in spite of these we were theoretically the better team tonight, gifting Geelong the game by our poor kicking for goals. There is a real basis there for Walsh to work on, and if we can consistently increase our overall match efficiency, then we will be in for an enjoyable season, winning more games than we lose.

Also, IMO Jenkins played a poor soft game and needs to HTFU and give a greater effort than he did tonight. Further to that when he was relieving in ruck it was a gimme to the Geelong mids, as he never looked like touching it at the ball-ups.
Im not sure if jenkins will ever get ruck if he hasn't by now. He has all the attributes to be a gun ruckman, but he's seriously bad in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure if jenkins will ever get ruck if he hasn't by now. He has all the attributes to be a gun ruckman, but he's seriously bad in there.
The best ruckmen have footy smarts - could be an issue with JJ ;)

I can understand that for around the ground, but just grapling or jumping up and hitting the ball (not necessarily even directing to someone) is pretty damn easy, but he hardly ever gets a tap.
For an ex-basket baller he is a s**t tap ruckman.

Surely Clarke can assist him with his timing.

Don't they do similar in basketball? Surely its not completely foreign to him.
You would think so, but after a few years JJ is still a shyte tap ruckman.

WTF is Clarke doing to fix this???

I can understand that for around the ground, but just grapling or jumping up and hitting the ball (not necessarily even directing to someone) is pretty damn easy, but he hardly ever gets a tap.

He's got short arms I tells ya

289347-73d7814c-e24c-11e3-9096-801fbb4e8d9b.jpg

"HTFU"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back