Work & Education The School/Uni Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have professional practice in 8 days time. I am nervous as they have been telling us that we are going to be at prac and then writing lesson plans 4 hours every night.
Work smart, not hard. Use your release time on prac wisely. Should be able to get a majority of your lesson plans done in that time which will save you shitload of time after hours. If your supervision teacher is any good, they will assist you with ideas or guidance.

Work smart, not hard. Use your release time on prac wisely. Should be able to get a majority of your lesson plans done in that time which will save you shitload of time after hours. If your supervision teacher is any good, they will assist you with ideas or guidance.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was rather skeptical and a little worried when the lecturer said 2 weeks ago that every day will require 2 to 4 hours of lesson planning. It seems like an awful lot. I mean obviously lessons need to be planned 4 hours of lesson planning plus 6 hours of being at school looking after the kids would mean teachers are working 10 hour days. That just doesn't seem right.

Not sure if you use it but what websites are best for teaching resources? Thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was rather skeptical and a little worried when the lecturer said 2 weeks ago that every day will require 2 to 4 hours of lesson planning. It seems like an awful lot. I mean obviously lessons need to be planned 4 hours of lesson planning plus 6 hours of being at school looking after the kids would mean teachers are working 10 hour days. That just doesn't seem right.

Not sure if you use it but what websites are best for teaching resources? Thanks
Reality is the most time you will spend on planning is when you are on rounds as once you are qualified, lessons aren't planned with individual lesson plans. The 4 hours of planning a night is rubbish on the lecturers behalf. As if you are going to take just as long to plan the lesson than teach it. In regards to the 10 hour day however, chances are, 10 hours may well be a shortish day for you once you begin teaching. As for the looking for resources etc. it really depends on what you are after. I tend not to use resources as often any more as a lot of it is just straight from the memory bank.

Reality is the most time you will spend on planning is when you are on rounds as once you are qualified, lessons aren't planned with individual lesson plans. The 4 hours of planning a night is rubbish on the lecturers behalf. As if you are going to take just as long to plan the lesson than teach it. In regards to the 10 hour day however, chances are, 10 hours may well be a shortish day for you once you begin teaching. As for the looking for resources etc. it really depends on what you are after. I tend not to use resources as often any more as a lot of it is just straight from the memory bank.

That is really good to know. Thanks a lot for lessening some of my fears. Sounds like the lecturer was just trying to scare his students a bit.

I did do some prac last semester but it was not formal prac as such. I essentially acted as a classroom assistant for 27 hours and in that class I found there was a lot of repetition. The classes week to week were largely the same with the same sort of structure to them, even if the content sometimes changed a bit.

Has anyone her done any units with arcGIS?

I need to do a project proposal and am a bit lost.

Been thinking about going back to uni.

Masters or MBA?

Anyone taken either/both options?

Depends where you are going to study.
If locally (Australia) you will need to consider that in the next 3-5 years there are plans for massive change in the structure of many uni degrees (undergrad) that will flow into the structure of post grad degrees.
Could have the effect of making a post grad qualification undertaken in the next 3-5 years obsolete before you even finish.

Been thinking about going back to uni.

Masters or MBA?

Anyone taken either/both options?

My bf (who is sadly still not good Lukeing) is currently doing his masters at Sydneh Uni. I've finished my commerce undergrad already and I have to say - there is so much overlap between the two I would not recommend it if it was your undergrad... Or if it was in something similar. He's only in his first sem but the frameworks etc. are about the same. I think MBA would be more useful given there is also quite a few different disciplines (eg B. Science) in this course and I imagine the marking standard is lower (and thus boring and less challenging).

Thanks for the responses.

I've currently got a B. Technology (or Computer Science) so I guess it's either improving hard or soft skills.

Not sure what doors an MBA would open vs a Ms. Computer Science would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back