Work & Education The School/Uni Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you pretend not to know around 10% of the words in the book you are reading? :p
Give me my sister's law or science books and I wouldn't need to pretend hahaha

With one of my units I have to find a child in stage 1 of development (essentially years 1 and 2 at school) and have them read to me. How the hell am I supposed to find a child of that age when I don't actually know any children of that age.
Do you just have to complete a running record on them or is it more complex? Might be able to dig an old one out that is waiting to be shredded that I could supply.

Do you just have to complete a running record on them or is it more complex? Might be able to dig an old one out that is waiting to be shredded that I could supply.

I have not spent much time looking at the assignment as such but it is basically about finding a book where they do not understand around 10% of the words, listen to them read it out allowed, transcribing everything being said after the fact, ask the child 3 questions a mixture of literal, inferential and interpretive questions to figure out their level of understanding of the text and then talk about the relevant learning theories in my report.

I also have to find out the strengths and weaknesses of the child's reading ability and also come up with ideas to help improve said students reading ability using the theories.

The actual assignment does not sound too tough but I am still not sure where I am going to find a stage 1 child.

Last edited:

I have not spent much time looking at the assignment as such but it is basically about finding a book where they do not understand around 10% of the words, listen to them read it out allowed, transcribing everything being said after the fact, ask the child 3 questions a mixture of literal, inferential and interpretive questions to figure out their level of understanding of the text and then talk about the relevant learning theories in my report.

I also have to find out the strengths and weaknesses of the child's reading ability and also come up with ideas to help improve said students reading ability using the theories.

The actual assignment does not sound too tough but I am still not sure where I am going to find a stage 1 child.
Have you done placement at a school you could return to or even your old primary school? Alternatively you could do what was recommended by our lecturers to people in your situation. Make it up. I have a blank template for a Level 15 PM benchmark assessment if that will help. In Victoria, loose expectation is average students would reach Level 15 at the end of year 1.

Have you done placement at a school you could return to or even your old primary school? Alternatively you could do what was recommended by our lecturers to people in your situation. Make it up. I have a blank template for a Level 15 PM benchmark assessment if that will help. In Victoria, loose expectation is average students would reach Level 15 at the end of year 1.

I am actually doing a 25 day placement this semester so if possible I may ask if it would be possible to borrow one of the younger kids for a lunch break or possibly after school if they are one of those kids that stays at school for a while after the school day has finished. I would need to get parental permission though.

Making it up works as well but I would not want to get caught doing that :p

As for levels it is a bit different in NSW I think. Basically the assignment says stage 1 is ideal for the child's development in reading and at the highest early stage 2.

I am actually doing a 25 day placement this semester so if possible I may ask if it would be possible to borrow one of the younger kids for a lunch break or possibly after school if they are one of those kids that stays at school for a while after the school day has finished. I would need to get parental permission though.

Making it up works as well but I would not want to get caught doing that :p

As for levels it is a bit different in NSW I think. Basically the assignment says stage 1 is ideal for the child's development in reading and at the highest early stage 2.
No worries. Placement school would be the best option then. Don't know what your ethics clearance is but we never needed parental permission so long as the student was identified as Student A, Student B etc. Don't hesitate to let me know if you think there's something I could help out with.

Last edited:
No worries. Placement school would be the best option then. Don't know what your ethics clearance is but we never needed parental permission so long as the student was identified as Student A, Student B etc. Don't hesitate to let me know if you think there's something I could help put with.

Thanks a lot for the offer as I really appreciate it.

Against the wishes of N37, I printed off 90 pages (45 double sided arial narrow size 9.5 - actually googled what the smallest font was barring Edwardian haha) & a one page wk-by-wk table summary.
It looks really pretty though so even if I fail I can take consolation knowing my tab colour coordination is adorable.

image.jpg

Against the wishes of N37, I printed off 90 pages (45 double sided arial narrow size 9.5 - actually googled what the smallest font was barring Edwardian haha) & a one page wk-by-wk table summary.
It looks really pretty though so even if I fail I can take consolation knowing my tab colour coordination is adorable.

View attachment 146066

You have put so much prep work into this exam there is no way you will fail it.

In my defense, on the occasion I have had the DISPLEASURE of marking exams I can assure you that it is pretty easy to pick which students thought open book = happy days, only to realise they still need to know the work.

But that is beside the point, you have outed yourself as a nerd Vonn, you won't fail...you know it. #vonnisanerd

In my defense, on the occasion I have had the DISPLEASURE of marking exams I can assure you that it is pretty easy to pick which students thought open book = happy days, only to realise they still need to know the work.

But that is beside the point, you have outed yourself as a nerd Vonn, you won't fail...you know it. #vonnisanerd

I agree with you for sure. If my notes were from mates or lectures I'd be screwed, but they took an eternity to write through the sem. Just a matter of jogging it as you would know I'm sure. You realise calling me a nerd doesn't bother me, I was at a school filled with selective nerds. It really is a badge of honour. ;) #vonnisanerd

But I do suck at figuring out how much I need to have passed - this exam is 40%, how much do I need to be sitting on for the current 60% to have already passed? What is the bare minimum % I have to be on for a HD?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you for sure. If my notes were from mates or lectures I'd be screwed, but they took an eternity to write through the sem. Just a matter of jogging it as you would know I'm sure. You realise calling me a nerd doesn't bother me, I was at a school filled with selective nerds. It really is a badge of honour. ;) #vonnisanerd

But I do suck at figuring out how much I need to have passed - this exam is 40%, how much do I need to be sitting on for the current 60% to have already passed? What is the bare minimum % I have to be on for a HD?

What mark are you up to so far in your assignments (out of 60)?

What mark are you up to so far in your assignments (out of 60)?

No idea - I haven't got a 15% back. Does that matter?

HD = 85 so you can only lose 15 marks. 45/60 means you need 100% in final for HD.

Oh my god. I'm not even joking. I have 170 pages worth of readings - not including textbook chapters for one subject. ONE SUBJECT. For 3 weeks. This is what you get for ignoring Uni and going to Melbourne for the weekend.

Thank god my best friend already gave me her lecture and tutorial notes for two subjects I'm doing this semester - she's saved my ass.

Oh my god. I'm not even joking. I have 170 pages worth of readings - not including textbook chapters for one subject. ONE SUBJECT. For 3 weeks. This is what you get for ignoring Uni and going to Melbourne for the weekend.

Thank god my best friend already gave me her lecture and tutorial notes for two subjects I'm doing this semester - she's saved my ass.

I tend to ignore my readings until I need them for assignments. Probably not the best thing to do.

I tend to ignore my readings until I need them for assignments. Probably not the best thing to do.

I have an essay for this in a fortnight :(

How long is it and what is it about?

I have 2 assignments due in a week.

On a random note my university is changing its name from the "University of Western Sydney" to "Western Sydney University". An inspired name change that only cost $20 million to implement :rolleyes:

Haha I heard about that. You guys are now WSU!

How long is it and what is it about?

I have 2 assignments due in a week.

On a random note my university is changing its name from the "University of Western Sydney" to "Western Sydney University". An inspired name change that only cost $20 million to implement :rolleyes:

Didn't surprise me, they find weird ways to waste money :( on another note, yay another UWS student! Which campus do you attend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back