The sport has a new fan from Holland

Remove this Banner Ad

dutchfan

Rookie
Aug 9, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Hello all, i am lucky to come to this great country for a vacation.
one of the first things that i did in my first week was visiting the game fremantle - Melbourne in the optus stadium.

it was a great experience. I love sports, played soccer myself and now enjoy cycling. But afl is new for me.
i enjoyed the game so much that i wanted to see another game before i go back to europe.

as i will stay in Melbourne as well, i have bought tickets for carlton vs collingwood. Really looking forward to my second live game.

although i do not understand all the details in the game i now know the basics.

seems that the carlton collingwood game has a rich history. Very curious to see what that brings to the atmosphere in the mcg and
how many spectators will show up.

Hello all, i am lucky to come to this great country for a vacation.
one of the first things that i did in my first week was visiting the game fremantle - Melbourne in the optus stadium.

it was a great experience. I love sports, played soccer myself and now enjoy cycling. But afl is new for me.
i enjoyed the game so much that i wanted to see another game before i go back to europe.

as i will stay in Melbourne as well, i have bought tickets for carlton vs collingwood. Really looking forward to my second live game.

although i do not understand all the details in the game i now know the basics.

seems that the carlton collingwood game has a rich history. Very curious to see what that brings to the atmosphere in the mcg and
how many spectators will show up.
You picked a good game for your last one. Will be a great atmosphere

In the netherlands when you go to a soccer game like this the atmosphere will be hostile between the 2 different fansites. How will that be in this game? Are the fans seperated from each other and is police needed to keep it safe. Or are you not bothered with this kind of nonsense at your sport?

In the netherlands when you go to a soccer game like this the atmosphere will be hostile between the 2 different fansites. How will that be in this game? Are the fans seperated from each other and is police needed to keep it safe. Or are you not bothered with this kind of nonsense at your sport?
Nah, rare that you see any of that sort of stuff. There's enough going on in the game that people are focused on what's going on.
The tension in footy isn't as high as in soccer.

This is as bad as it gets in footy, NSFW: Rude Language

Another thing that i am curious about is how the home and away games are defined per season. Each play 23 games and there are 18 teams. Normally that would make 34 games a season. How is defined against who you’re playing in the next season. Are results from the current season count? Or is it just like a lottery?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, rare that you see any of that sort of stuff. There's enough going on in the game that people are focused on what's going on.
The tension in footy isn't as high as in soccer.
Luckily. That’s better. After the lost game against Melbourne I couldnt see any disappointment from the fremantle supporters. It looks like they have enjoyed the evening and didn’t bother about the loss. Is that the normal reaction you see at other clubs as well. Just asking, as I am not used to that reaction after a lost soccer game

Another thing that i am curious about is how the home and away games are defined per season. Each play 23 games and there are 18 teams. Normally that would make 34 games a season. How is defined against who you’re playing in the next season. Are results from the current season count? Or is it just like a lottery?
It is actually 22 matches each. There is a bye for each team during the 23 rounds so 22 matches. 11 matches defined as home matches and 11 as away.
They have some computer program that comes up with the fixture. Results from previous season are in the computer program. It is meant to give the bottom 6 teams the easiest draw, middle 6 teams medium draw and top 6 from previous season a harder draw but it is a long way from fair. Some clubs have a real home ground advantage and others not. Most of teams based in Victoria play on similar two grounds. Cats have their own ground so only club in Victoria with a distinct home ground advantage.
34 rounds would be ideal but season cannot go that long and traditional 22 rounds of matches and a month of finals series is how the season is designed in length of time.

It is actually 22 matches each. There is a bye for each team during the 23 rounds so 22 matches. 11 matches defined as home matches and 11 as away.
They have some computer program that comes up with the fixture. Results from previous season are in the computer program. It is meant to give the bottom 6 teams the easiest draw, middle 6 teams medium draw and top 6 from previous season a harder draw but it is a long way from fair. Some clubs have a real home ground advantage and others not. Most of teams based in Victoria play on similar two grounds. Cats have their own ground so only club in Victoria with a distinct home ground advantage.
34 rounds would be ideal but season cannot go that long and traditional 22 rounds of matches and a month of finals series is how the season is designed in length of time.
Thanks for the explanation. I missed the bye during the season. I like the way the final rounds are set up with the easier road to the final for the first 4.

Another question:where can is see footy on television? I like to see if I can see the grand final on tv when i am back home

Luckily. That’s better. After the lost game against Melbourne I couldnt see any disappointment from the fremantle supporters. It looks like they have enjoyed the evening and didn’t bother about the loss. Is that the normal reaction you see at other clubs as well. Just asking, as I am not used to that reaction after a lost soccer game
Normally a mix. Some fans are more disappointed than others, especially if expecting to win. With smaller interstate contingents you might not see many of those. Very rarely does it turn into anything more than a bit of verbal, and most people are able to accept it as part of being a supporter. Your team loses, nothing you can do about, the winning side has a laugh. Complain about the dodgy umpiring and move on.

Odds are your closest club will have the Grand Final on as a fund-raiser and club get-together, Get Involved – AFL Netherlands They would presumably welcome newcomers to the sport, whether just for the day or to get involved in some capacity (player or not).
I presume there is a mainland Europe pay-tv channel that shows it, otherwise it may be the AFL's streaming as the only option.

Another question:where can is see footy on television? I like to see if I can see the grand final on tv when i am back home
Clearly I have no idea about Netherlands tv. I'm sure some cable sports channel will have it.
BT sport something from Britian probably has it.

The AFL do have some overseas streaming service which I think called WatchAFL. I have no idea how much it cost but think it shows all the games, replays and think even able to download matches.

Back in Netherlands it will probably be on in your breakfast time on that Saturday in whatever cable tv or streaming service you manage to find.

Another thing of interest is that the AFL have a salary cap for their playing and coaching staff to allow the "smaller" clubs to compete. There is also a national player draft which gives the bottom club 1st pick, 2nd bottom 2nd pick and so on. This in theory allows the bottom teams climb the ladder.

These measures has resulted in 12 of the 18 clubs winning a premiership this century. Every club has a chance. Sadly this is not the case in the European soccer leagues.

Another thing of interest is that the AFL have a salary cap for their playing and coaching staff to allow the "smaller" clubs to compete. There is also a national player draft which gives the bottom club 1st pick, 2nd bottom 2nd pick and so on. This in theory allows the bottom teams climb the ladder.

These measures has resulted in 12 of the 18 clubs winning a premiership this century. Every club has a chance. Sadly this is not the case in the European soccer leagues.
Great rules. I was looking for the top teams but saw, different from soccer in Europe, that there were a lot of different winners. We could learn from that, but unfortunately the big money rules

Coco's outback pub would most likely play finals and GF, check it out if you're near Amsterdam.

Otherwise you can watch in on watchafl.com.au while overseas.

Great rules. I was looking for the top teams but saw, different from soccer in Europe, that there were a lot of different winners. We could learn from that, but unfortunately the big money rules
Getting back to our International Game it was expanding slowly until Covid arrived.
This is a link to the Governing Body in Europe. Check it out and although low profile it is still around and will bounce back.

Home • AFL Europe​

https://afleurope.org

Remove this Banner Ad

Back