Ultimate Glory The Three-Peat! Chronicles of our famous era

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of books, I am reading Neil Balme, A Tale of Two Men. Extra interesting to me as I had a lot to do with Balmey when he coached Norwood in the 1980s. Anyway, there was coverage of Melbourne's attempt to merge with Hawthorn in 1996, but what made it interesting was reading it from a Melbourne point of view.

The author pretty much confirmed what most of us suspected, that Melbourne's intention was a takeover, not a merger, so we dodged a bullet there. He referred to Don Scott's ripping off the Hawks logo and holding up a Melbourne jumper as a moment of pure genius. I thought it may be interesting to Hawks supporters.
No Hawk who was in attendance that highly-charged night at Camberwell will ever forget that brilliant piece of theatre. Some in the press poo-pooed the idea if the Velcro Hawk, at the time. But it’s now obvious that Don Scott has been well and truly vindicated.

I am enjoying this Three-peat book so far. Would recommend.

Also, if you have not yet read a book called the Great Grand Final (1989) then do yourself a favour and get one. Insightful, informative, inspiring and balanced. An excellent read.
Michael Gordon's 'Playing to Win' is another fantastic book that's worth revisiting. It covers the years from 2009 to 13, and is all about how we went about plotting our 11th premiership cup. It makes you realise just how important that flag was for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back