The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for the tips!
Not fussed about the budget, our accommodation in Tokyo and Osaka is ludicrously cheap thanks to the company I work for, so I'm happy to spend extra in Kyoto.
Where else in Japan did you go?

Hokkaido for giant snow crabs, hotsprings and snow festival!

Anyone been to Sicily?

Heading there in August

I'm envious. It's definitely on my list as a place to visit. I have a number of friends of Sicilian background. Very generous and fun loving. I suggest you grab a series of Inspector Montalbano as it's set in Sicily. The books are great, Montalbano loves eating and describes the local fare in great detail. I'm fairly certain that spaghetti with a black squid sauce is a specialty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow MEB Japan awesome trip when are you going? I know lots of people go around now because of the skiing and they also have a fantastic music festival in November I think.

I'm going in October, it's supposed to be a gorgeous time of the year. My stepmother is Japanese and lives in Tokyo so she'll show me around there. I've been promising her for years that I'd go so I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a rugby match while I'm there because the Rebels' former captain and my favourite player transferred there last year.

I'm envious. It's definitely on my list as a place to visit. I have a number of friends of Sicilian background. Very generous and fun loving. I suggest you grab a series of Inspector Montalbano as it's set in Sicily. The books are great, Montalbano loves eating and describes the local fare in great detail. I'm fairly certain that spaghetti with a black squid sauce is a specialty.

Not sure why we went for sicily, we have a week in malta first, I have heard of Inspector Montalbano, there are day tours visiting places where its filmed you can even stay in his house / hotel, they would be a good books to read whilst travelling theough sicily. Yes the nero di seppia spag, might give that a miss I feel....but they love to drink & eat for sure, and good coffee ! We've just about nailed the itinerary, very excited, Cheers Robbo

Not sure why we went for sicily, we have a week in malta first, I have heard of Inspector Montalbano, there are day tours visiting places where its filmed you can even stay in his house / hotel, they would be a good books to read whilst travelling theough sicily. Yes the nero di seppia spag, might give that a miss I feel....but they love to drink & eat for sure, and good coffee ! We've just about nailed the itinerary, very excited, Cheers Robbo

Malta. I hadn't thought of Malta. Might have to add it. Would definitely love to travel to Sardinia and Corsica as well. Seeing my first food tip was awry I've done some research. Cassata Siciliana looks yummy. Not the Neopolitan ice cream version. This one is a sponge cake. Looks like it would go well with a coffee. Luck would have it that cannolo is a local pastry. Uno cannolo, due cannoli, capische. Pistachios and a beer sound ok. Other specialities are Arancini, granita e brioche and frutti di mare.

As for books I suggest you look up books on Sicily, a site called goodread had over 20 books concerning Sicily. I'd give the Mario Puzo's a miss in public :)

Have a great time and give us a travelogue while you're away.

Malta. I hadn't thought of Malta. Might have to add it. Would definitely love to travel to Sardinia and Corsica as well. Seeing my first food tip was awry I've done some research. Cassata Siciliana looks yummy. Not the Neopolitan ice cream version. This one is a sponge cake. Looks like it would go well with a coffee. Luck would have it that cannolo is a local pastry. Uno cannolo, due cannoli, capische. Pistachios and a beer sound ok. Other specialities are Arancini, granita e brioche and frutti di mare.

As for books I suggest you look up books on Sicily, a site called goodread had over 20 books concerning Sicily. I'd give the Mario Puzo's a miss in public :)

Have a great time and give us a travelogue while you're away.

Can absolutely recommend Malta to visit.

My travel plans for when I return to Australia towards the end of the year!

First leg - depending on where I am, but the destination is going to be Boston. I might spend a couple of days there and do some sightseeing.
Second Leg - L.A. for 3-4 days definitely.
Third leg - Depending on the amount of time in the air, I might go directly to Tokyo and spend a couple of nights there, if the flight from LAX to Tokyo is a nightmare, I might do a stop over in Hawaii for a night or two, which would mean that leg 4 is to Tokyo and leg 5 is the flight home to Perth
Either way, the final leg will be Tokyo to Perth... should be interesting :)

I was lucky enough to travel through NZ's south island this summer. Was there for just under 2 weeks with a few mates and had a wonderful time.

We decided that the best way to get around was to hire a car and after having done it I can say without reservation that we did not make a mistake on that front. Clearly the best way to travel around and really soak in the magnificent surroundings. The scenery is nothing short of spectacular everywhere you look.

Spent time in Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Wanaka, Franz Josef Glacier and then finally Christchurch before heading home.

Unfortunately we ended the holiday on a bit of a 'downer', with Christchurch a very sad place to visit. The city was completely decimated by the major earthquake of a few years back and they have not yet recovered. Road works have closed just about every 2nd street and business just has not resumed there - countless amounts of abandoned buildings & shops that don't look like re-opening any time soon. It really is a ghost town, you may as well be driving through a war-torn village - and it is quite sad. Virtually no tall buildings to speak of, either.

Other than that somber experience at the end, for those who have not been, I can't recommend NZ highly enough. I was there as a young child and don't remember much from that visit, but now having visited there as an adult I can say it is easily one of the most beautiful countries you'll ever see. Only a 4 hour flight away from Melbourne, it really is a must-see.

How was the trip?

Fantastic. But bloody busy.

Took my bike over also…did some nice loops out and back from Prato. Good times.

(If anyone on here cycles…it's a whole other world over there…)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back