The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

Any of you guys know Newcastle well? Am heading up there next weekend to catch up with a girlfriend, but have antisocially snared a day to myself before I meet her. What to do on a weekday with a limited (i.e. unemployed bum but not totally destitute) budget?

Newcastle is a hole.

Any of you guys know Newcastle well? Am heading up there next weekend to catch up with a girlfriend, but have antisocially snared a day to myself before I meet her. What to do on a weekday with a limited (i.e. unemployed bum but not totally destitute) budget?
I believe Newcastle has some really good beaches , although this may not be a great time of the year to hit the beach.

I believe Newcastle has some really good beaches , although this may not be a great time of the year to hit the beach.
Ha - trust me, it wouldn't matter what time of year it was. I'm not exactly in beach condition. :) Will probably have a stickybeak though. Not sure what (if anything) my friend has planned for me - she said she wants to show me what is awesome about Newy but not sure she is planning on babysitting me the whole weekend. She really should be living in Melbourne (as in, she has a Melbourne soul) so I know she'd have a good idea of my tastes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's in the Swan Valley. Might check it out next week when I'm back in Perth

Did a Swan Valley winery tour as well, but the one I did in Margaret River was much much better. Although this may have had something to do with the group we were with down south.

Bluebelle Bootleg is good, my best friend's uncle owns it. There is another near Yallingyup called The Shack it is ok and they do platters. It is not highbrow. There are so many wineries down there. Another good one near Yallingyup is Aravina. Another brewery is near Wise Winery (can't remember the name) and the Duckstein also Clancy's fish pub is a brewery also. Hope you get this in time.

http://www.aravinaestate.com/

Love Feral.

Really?

A few years back I was at a bar with mates and decided to try a beer that I'd never heard of, but that had quite an amusing name - Feral Fanta Pants.

Suffice to say it's name is a very apt description of the taste. It was, and to this day still is, hands down the worst beer I've ever tasted.

Bluebelle Bootleg is good, my best friend's uncle owns it. There is another near Yallingyup called The Shack it is ok and they do platters. It is not highbrow. There are so many wineries down there. Another good one near Yallingyup is Aravina. Another brewery is near Wise Winery (can't remember the name) and the Duckstein also Clancy's fish pub is a brewery also. Hope you get this in time.

http://www.aravinaestate.com/

Thanks JR! Guns told me about Aravina so doing that when we go to Busselton.

Going to go to Vasse Felix, Leeuwin, Aravina and Voyager.

Undecided about the breweries

Really?

A few years back I was at a bar with mates and decided to try a beer that I'd never heard of, but that had quite an amusing name - Feral Fanta Pants.

Suffice to say it's name is a very apt description of the taste. It was, and to this day still is, hands down the worst beer I've ever tasted.

Never tried Swan or Tooheys J?
They are two of the worse beer ever to be put on this earth.

Thanks JR! Guns told me about Aravina so doing that when we go to Busselton.

Going to go to Vasse Felix, Leeuwin, Aravina and Voyager.

Undecided about the breweries

So jealous BB. Vasse Felix is an amazing winery....you'll love it.
And they deliver for free anywhere within Australia (well they used to anyway)

Really?

Can back up the good side of Feral. They have some absolute crackers. I spose in the experimental side of things you can come out with some acquired taste products, but would be the same with every brewer. I've never found a company that i like every one of their beers yet (but that's probably more to do with some kinds of beer i just don't like in general). Yes, I'm looking at you weissbier.

Really?

Haven't tried that one. Love Hop Hog, Golden Ace and Smoked Porter.

Did some wine tasting today! Went to Vasse Felix, Providore, Voyager and Leeuwin! Bought 16 bottles from Vasse Felix hehe and a couple from Leeuwin :) also went to the Chocolate Factory! Yummmmmm!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back