The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

Returned this morning from my 12 day tour of South-East Asia. Flew direct to Saigon and met up with my daughter. We were very happy to see her and she was happy to see us. First night treat arranged by Alison. Street food and a show at the Opera House. The floor show involved acrobatics, dancing, comedy and live music.

Second day and the reality of the tropics hit. We went for a walk and the sweat was dripping off me. Even when we stopped and sat down for a rest. It kills me when I see locals 'rugged up' and not looking hot. The morning was spent walking around dodging Cyclos, street vendors and the sun.

The afternoon was spent at the Re-Unification Palace. I know the facade of this building so well. A child of the Vietnam War era the TV COVERAGE featured this Palace when the South Vietnam Government existed. Explored the place from the 'The Bunker' to the top floor overlooking the Heliport.

Met up with the Tour Group later in the evening and jumped on a public bus for Phnom Penh. While the traffic, bustle and unkempt streets of Saigon opens your eyes it did not protect me from real culture shock in 'third world' Cambodia.

To be continued....

Returned this morning from my 12 day tour of South-East Asia. Flew direct to Saigon and met up with my daughter. We were very happy to see her and she was happy to see us. First night treat arranged by Alison. Street food and a show at the Opera House. The floor show involved acrobatics, dancing, comedy and live music.

Second day and the reality of the tropics hit. We went for a walk and the sweat was dripping off me. Even when we stopped and sat down for a rest. It kills me when I see locals 'rugged up' and not looking hot. The morning was spent walking around dodging Cyclos, street vendors and the sun.

The afternoon was spent at the Re-Unification Palace. I know the facade of this building so well. A child of the Vietnam War era the TV COVERAGE featured this Palace when the South Vietnam Government existed. Explored the place from the 'The Bunker' to the top floor overlooking the Heliport.

Met up with the Tour Group later in the evening and jumped on a public bus for Phnom Penh. While the traffic, bustle and unkempt streets of Saigon opens your eyes it did not protect me from real culture shock in 'third world' Cambodia.

To be continued....

Welcome back Robbo...I nearly stopped reading when you mentioned the word 'floor show'!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The border crossing into Cambodia was relaxed compared to the footy crowd atmosphere when exiting Vietnam. Be prepared, you have your picture taken and fingerprints scanned before you enter Cambodia.

If you like bumpy roads and dust then Cambodia is the place for you. Whether you travel to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap or Battambang expect a sore arse and a few hair raising moments as head on collisions are narrowly avoided.

It's all part of experiencing the culture. We are really pampered in our part of the world. I look at inner city suburbs around Melbourne and flinch sometimes at grotty streetscapes. Never again. Footpaths here are used to park vehicles or hold impromptu al fresco dinner parties. Vendors and Tuk Tuk drivers are in your face all the time and, if you're male, never walk through a market alone unless that's your gameplan. The aromas are mostly aromatic although I would recommend you steer clear of the unrefrigerated section of the market. The smells emanating from meat, fish and poultry left out on a hot day can be confronting. Rubbish piles up on the streets, particularly in Phnom Penh, and people pick there way through it for hidden treasures. The beggars of Cambodia are another source of guilt when you compare it to our cushy existences.

I was a total novice in terms of a 'Third World' experience. The expression on my face had a permanent 'oh my god' look for the settling period. It was amazing, and I was a little guilt ridden, to walk into an upstairs bar and order cocktails, beers, smoothies, juices and a variety of delicious local food knowing what was on the street below you.

Have been travelling across Europe for the past 10 months now. A real stand-out for me was this tiny little hostel in the middle of nowhere in Slovakia. The town was called Ždiar. The hostel called the Ginger Monkey hostel. Been dubbed one of the best hostels in the world and certainly lived up to the reputation. I ended up volunteering there for some months I loved it that much! The town is perfect for doing some breath-taking hikes in the warmer months or skiing/ snowboarding in the colder ones (you can ski/ snowboard for around €30 a day, inc. ski pass). Highly recommend it!

My daughter arrived back in Melbourne on Tuesday morning. Over 8 months overseas and more than half of it travelling by herself. I'm so impressed because it was such a big effort. I'd like to tell her but I've hardly seen her since Tuesday. So many friends, so many reunion dinners. I wish I was so popular:(

My daughter arrived back in Melbourne on Tuesday morning. Over 8 months overseas and more than half of it travelling by herself. I'm so impressed because it was such a big effort. I'd like to tell her but I've hardly seen her since Tuesday. So many friends, so many reunion dinners. I wish I was so popular:(

Have been travelling by myself for more than 10 months now. Can safely say that it's the best thing any young person can do. Helps you discover yourself and what you want out of life. Where did she travel to RMH?

Have been travelling by myself for more than 10 months now. Can safely say that it's the best thing any young person can do. Helps you discover yourself and what you want out of life. Where did she travel to RMH?
I counted 26 countries on her blog the other day. Continental Europe account for most of them. Spent some extended time in Bulgaria and Serbia working for food and lodgings. The last month was spent in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back