The true cost of the British Raj?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
History is written by the winners.

Until a few decades ago, the mighty British Empire was one of history's great winners.

Unsurprisingly, their histories told us that their centuries-long colonisation of India was one of the more benign and enlightened.

Now Britain's headed down the gurgler, it would seem, India is probably on its way to becoming a major world power, and we're seeing a very different perspective emerge from some quarters.

History is written by the winners.

Until a few decades ago, the mighty British Empire was one of history's great winners.

Unsurprisingly, their histories told us that their centuries-long colonisation of India was one of the more benign and enlightened.

Now Britain's headed down the gurgler, it would seem, India is probably on its way to becoming a major world power, and we're seeing a very different perspective emerge from some quarters.

Think about the Greek, Egyption, Roman, Turkish, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, French empires. Quelle surprise ? cop this, though. What other Empire ever had the consequent Commonwealth of Nations ?

Sorry, what’s your point?
I shouldn't have to explain to anyone with the benefit of an Australian education. Empires come and go. If you are sneering at the British Empire then take into account that in its demise as an Empire it has retained the gratitude and affection of its former colonies such that it heads a 52 member, Old Boys(let's face it) association to which even non former colonys seek to join. I'm of an ancestry so degraded by the Brits that my great grandparents, all 8 of them, ended up in Australia, the silver lining. When I go to Awfulland, I'm an Australian Tourist. When I go to Britain, I'm part of the family.

I shouldn't have to explain to anyone with the benefit of an Australian education. Empires come and go. If you are sneering at the British Empire then take into account that in its demise as an Empire it has retained the gratitude and affection of its former colonies such that it heads a 52 member, Old Boys(let's face it) association to which even non former colonys seek to join. I'm of an ancestry so degraded by the Brits that my great grandparents, all 8 of them, ended up in Australia, the silver lining. When I go to Awfulland, I'm an Australian Tourist. When I go to Britain, I'm part of the family.
You know, it is possible to see all empires as flawed and leave it at that, rather than make desperate attempts to find the good in just one.

Honestly, was the British Commonwealth worth the Bengal Famine? Really? Three million preventable deaths, because they weren't as important as Britons?

Funny, when I go to Germany - the former enemy - for work, they wave me through. When I go to Britain - the "Mother Country" - for work, I have to have a sponsor certificate.

You know, it is possible to see all empires as flawed and leave it at that, rather than make[/b] desperate attempts to find the good in just one[/b].

Honestly, was the British Commonwealth worth the Bengal Famine? Really? Three million preventable deaths, because they weren't as important as Britons?

Funny, when I go to Germany - the former enemy - for work, they wave me through. When I go to Britain - the "Mother Country" - for work, I have to have a sponsor certificate.
Desperate attempt ? Where's that from ? Your personal experiences and mine might be different and they mean little in the great scheme of things. But for colonisation in general and British 18 th Century colonisation of Australasia in particular, you and I wouldn't be what and where we are today.

If you are sneering at the British Empire then take into account that in its demise as an Empire it has retained the gratitude and affection of its former colonies such that it heads a 52 member, Old Boys(let's face it) association to which even non former colonys seek to join.
Good grief, you think that's because they all love Britain so much? The settler colonies maybe, but for the ones still most populated by non-white people, they join the Commonwealth because they want to curry favour for trade deals and resources for English language teaching. These help boost their economies, since Britain is still an advanced consumer market that has something to offer in trade deals, and English skills are critical to success in the global economy. If Britain ever devolved into a poor country and English was supplanted by another language as the global language of business, these countries would treat Britain like a leper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back