The Upper Murray Football League (Part2)

Remove this Banner Ad

so whats news in the upper murray boys? probably a bit early for new signings up there this time of yr as there usually done week before round 1? any movements on the 16 a side? is there any chance of a merger and moving into another league at all?

ha ha no not at all demon85, no more than anyone else anyway.

although i do think it would be best for this league to look at doing something different...., forming a sole upper murray side and joining the tallangatta league may be an option. would be good to see and may bring a bit more interest into the games. have heard it being talked about for years now, but nobody seems keen to actually go through with it.

the league just seems to be getting worse and worse by the year, what are everyone elses thoughts?

although i do think it would be best for this league to look at doing something different...., forming a sole upper murray side and joining the tallangatta league may be an option. would be good to see and may bring a bit more interest into the games. have heard it being talked about for years now, but nobody seems keen to actually go through with it.

the league just seems to be getting worse and worse by the year, what are everyone elses thoughts?

Didn't your cricket competition do exactly that several years ago and moved into the Wodonga and District comp, only to fold within two years?
Certainly can't see that as being the answer to anything as it would alienate too many people and, speaking as an old Coreen and District person, you need to keep your competition running up there for the sake of all the communities involved.
I think it's an amazing effort for a town the size of Corryong to be able to sustain two football clubs, but how long can they continue to do so.
Lastly, Corryong would be the main population base in the competition and, from my recollection of going up there for an interleague game many years ago, it has a good surface and good facilities - surprised the Grand Final doesn't live there, although I don't mind the home final rule for the other three.

Mate when was the last time you went up and watched a game? The 16 a side wasn't perfect and we had a poor season but for the first time in years we fielded a 2's every week and didnt forfeit once, even winning half a dozen games, i think the Feds boys were the same with their 2's. I reckon thats a great effort for a district that supports 3 clubs. If all the clubs merged where would the 200 odd senior players who don't get a game go??? The only thing i would consider would maybe having a crack at an Upper Murray junior side (maybe Under 14's and Under 17's) playing in the Albury/Wodonga junior comp even if they had to double up from playing the previous day. I know our club plan on being around for a long, long time and i think the other clubs are in the same boat.:thumbsu:

Hey Ref, heard on the grapevine recently that the Blues have signed half of Kiewa's 2's side plus a couple of their senior players from last year. Who have you signed as the new coach???

Hi Toecutter nice to have you back.Regarding players from Kiewa playing for cudgie next season, i haven't heard anything about players from Keiwa coming up but if they do we won't say NO, Coach who knows .
Demon 85 how's Corryong going in the recruiting? Is Evan still coaching next season or is the Golden Bald Eagle taking over full-time.
Toecutter i think [don't quote me] the only two clubs that have coach's for next season are B/W AN TUMBARUMBA who also appointed Matt Molkinten as coach with maxie just to take abit of the work load off maxie,
Tiger is it true that B/W made an offer to tumba's ruckman 3-4 weeks before clearance's closed an could be heading there in 2011.

The biggest push happened in the mid-late 90's when a few league and club administrators realised the league was starting to struggle. When it was proposed, many parents and people who thought they were important at clubs kicked up a stink and couldn't see the sense in it (note that most of these people walked away from their clubs within a few seasons, thanks). Or if they are still at the clubs they do very little which is positive - unfortunately 'change' scares a lot of people, hence why the standard is so poor.
Who knows what would have happened if we joined tallangatta, however I think the case just demonstrates the effect ignorance can have on the long-term viability of the league.

On another note haven't heard much from the demons, let's hope they can sign some talent tho and lift from the past 2 years. Need to get some experienced blokes from alb-wod...

fair call silver kid, what are your thoughts on the options available now? has the umfl missed the boat on this one? would hate to see the league be fold.

and demon85, last game i went up and saw was this yr, corryong v bullioh in corryong. and to be honest it was the worst game of umfl i have ever attended. there was about 20 supporters there total, and the bullioh players were pretty much taking the piss they were doing it that easy. pretty sad to see to be honest. and i have a lot of respect for evan, must be a tough job trying to keep that team together.

Toecutter did some asking around about who is coaching cudgie in 2011 word is it's a bloke named Bill Deery.Don't know who he is,maybe someone on here might know him.

Hi Toecutter nice to have you back.Regarding players from Kiewa playing for cudgie next season, i haven't heard anything about players from Keiwa coming up but if they do we won't say NO, Coach who knows .
Demon 85 how's Corryong going in the recruiting? Is Evan still coaching next season or is the Golden Bald Eagle taking over full-time.
Toecutter i think [don't quote me] the only two clubs that have coach's for next season are B/W AN TUMBARUMBA who also appointed Matt Molkinten as coach with maxie just to take abit of the work load off maxie,
Tiger is it true that B/W made an offer to tumba's ruckman 3-4 weeks before clearance's closed an could be heading there in 2011.

Your info on B/W having a crack at Tumbas ruckman is correct,I dont know if he will go there next year,but he would be a good get as there are alot of kids at B/W and I think he would fit in,but one player wont lift them to a G/F,we need 1 maybe 2 good running backs.I also would like to see 18 players back on the field,to many players were stuffed by 3/4 time in the 16 aside.:footy::thumbsu:

and demon85, last game i went up and saw was this yr, corryong v bullioh in corryong. and to be honest it was the worst game of umfl i have ever attended. there was about 20 supporters there total, and the bullioh players were pretty much taking the piss they were doing it that easy. pretty sad to see to be honest. and i have a lot of respect for evan, must be a tough job trying to keep that team together.
True, that was a pretty pathetic effort against Bullioh but in our defense it had been a long season for a team that had 10 or so teenagers run out each week, had been decimated with injuries and unavailabilty in the second half of the year and the usual drop off in morale by round 15 ended in a terrible end to the season for the boys. Hey Ref, Ev is doing the job as far as i know and brad was a great help to him during the year with the Alb/Wod boys who came up with him. Hopefully he sticks around and can add a couple of experienced guys to the side for next year. Maybe if we can get a few of our old local boys come back we can have a successful 2011.:thumbsu:

Bit of a whisper out of cudgewa that mikal and luke bloom could be back to have a year with their brother adam. Should kill it down here if true. Also a couple of kiewa boys to join them. Is bill deery any relation to neville deery that coached them in the 90's?

Bit of a whisper out of cudgewa that mikal and luke bloom could be back to have a year with their brother adam. Should kill it down here if true. Also a couple of kiewa boys to join them. Is bill deery any relation to neville deery that coached them in the 90's?

Your right - they would absolutely dominate if they played at cudge - 50+ possessions each game, but would not lock them into play just yet. I'm sure after a few games they'd get a bit frustrated with the standard in comparison to what they are used.

Demon85 - which locals are u referring to - sam cross, aaron nank etc? They'd add a fair bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon85 - which locals are u referring to - sam cross, aaron nank etc? They'd add a fair bit.

should also look at getting that brad hindle bloke back, hed be handy. also josh collins, local boy played all his junior footy there. hes down in melbourne now i think but not playing anywhere else. would definately go a long way in helping the demons getting back to the powerhouse they were.

Your right - they would absolutely dominate if they played at cudge - 50+ possessions each game, but would not lock them into play just yet. I'm sure after a few games they'd get a bit frustrated with the standard in comparison to what they are used.

Silver Kid [50 possessions a game],how many hands have you got holding your old fella you mite need to give one of them a rest.
The silly season has started.

Silver Kid [50 possessions a game],how many hands have you got holding your old fella you mite need to give one of them a rest.
The silly season has started.

haha all hands on deck ;)

I saw Mikal get over 40 possessions in an OM game a few years back as an 18 yr old, and Luke played rep footy this year i think. both have been dominant in leagues which are immensely better than the UM. they would run rings around their opposition.

haha all hands on deck ;)

I saw Mikal get over 40 possessions in an OM game a few years back as an 18 yr old, and Luke played rep footy this year i think. both have been dominant in leagues which are immensely better than the UM. they would run rings around their opposition.
As I said thats the rumour. Not sure if their travelling or relocating. They would bust it up down here for sure. The blues seem to save their coin for a tilt at the flag every 4-5 years. 2011 could be that year.

I have heard that one of the Blooms could be heading back but not sure which one. It's the one which is P.E teacher I think. But if he does come back I have heard he's off to Holbrook with Twitt and CO. Bill Deery coached raiders 3rds a few years back. Not sure if he coached this year?? Yes it's silly season REF. Just keep an eye for more BB Saints players to head upto Cozza !!!!!! Maybe a few not happy with change of coach. Walwa to be more active but could lose a few aswell. Just like evry club it's hard to keep guys. So any news from Coin Valley?? Who's coaching etc??

Well Fridays paper had cudgies coach and two recruits.Heard of one Kade Bakes played for Bullioh a few years ago,Matt Brady don't know.
You mite be rite Old Kenny,the club looks like it mite spend a few dollars next season [don't know if thats a good thing or not].Has anyone heard if M.Nichols is coaching Bullioh?.
Spoke to maxie last night he said he is loosing the Brook boys to Culcairn because they want to play with their brother Tim [so much for his O.M.career].but he wish's them all the best and he also could be loosing B.Macklan an Cain Richards .
Tiger how's B/W GOING?

Go cudgie 2011

Well Fridays paper had cudgies coach and two recruits.Heard of one Kade Bakes played for Bullioh a few years ago,Matt Brady don't know.
You mite be rite Old Kenny,the club looks like it mite spend a few dollars next season [don't know if thats a good thing or not].Has anyone heard if M.Nichols is coaching Bullioh?.
Spoke to maxie last night he said he is loosing the Brook boys to Culcairn because they want to play with their brother Tim [so much for his O.M.career].but he wish's them all the best and he also could be loosing B.Macklan an Cain Richards .
Tiger how's B/W GOING?

Go cudgie 2011

Yeah Nicholl's is coaching Bullioh again, so you would think they will be pretty strong again as they shouldn't lose too many.

Tiger how's B/W GOING?

Go cudgie 2011
Hi Ref,havent got any rumours for you at the moment,but if Ben and Cain are leaving Tumba I hope they are heading B/W way but I dont know,and havent heard of any other pickups at B/W ,but if I hear of any I will keep them to myself until they are confirmed.If the word is right Cudgie are going to field a very strong side in 2011.:footy::thumbsu:

spending a few dollars is not a bad thing ref. everyone has to spend to be successful in our league. lets hope your younger blokes still get a look in at senior level. cudgewa have had some good young local kids the past 2 years that have stood up to make the senior team more competitive. things can easily turn a bit ugly if they dont get the same opportunities as the new guys coming in. havn't heard much from the dees up here. were (feds) talkin to a few players so i hear. not losin too many.

Is that right big Molts coaching Tumba? Heard he might be heading back Mango way.

I love this,we have players going here there and every where,we should try and get AKKER to play a few games in the UMFL,he would certianly get a game at Corryong,but he may be a little young for that team,given the average age of the team last season would have been about 40,get of your lazy arses all you young blokes up there and help out both Corryong and Feds,if either of those clubs fold we are F---ed in the UMFL..I hope that Cudgie can nail all the players they are chasing,and that all the players that Bullioh are still chasing from the other UMFL clubs tell them to F/Off.I think 2011 is going to be a very interesting time up in the hills,thats if it ever stops raining.Just imagine a game of footy up at the Shithole thats called Bullioh today,the toilets would be the place to have a shower,if you were game,they should change the name of the place and call it Filth Valley instead of Tallangatta Valley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back