To eat or not to eat breakfast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our ancestors never had problems with obesity, heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc, nor consumed refined/processed items resembling food back then either though.
The hardest part is, I (we) have no idea if this is a legitimate question or is it just another troll.

I just believe Ablett has no need to keep resorting back to the 'ancestors did it' reasoning - LCHF is a perfectly fine lifestyle for those who it suits and want to do it, however the whole; our ancestors were leaner and healthier because of it argument, doesn't sit well with me, when a third of Abletts cals come from a drink not available to our ancestors.

In case you haven't noticed.... Look around you. What in the world is still consumed/used... even sourced the same way it was back when our ancestors were around?

Ummmmmmmmm.........

wait... ummmmm......

I'm not the one mentioning ancestors in defence of the way I eat!

No. Ablett believes I should hunt all day for my fatty meat pieces!

Paleo isn't about eating what ancient people do. That's a weak argument and only serves to slander the movement.

It's about avoiding processed foods and added chemicals that our bodies haven't evolved to cope with and toxify the body over a lifetime leading to degenerative disease later in life.

Paleo isn't about eating what ancient people do. That's a weak argument and only serves to slander the movement.

It's about avoiding processed foods and added chemicals that our bodies haven't evolved to cope with and toxify the body over a lifetime leading to degenerative disease later in life.

Ablett, as much as I value his views believes living like ancestors is more beneficial!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just believe Ablett has no need to keep resorting back to the 'ancestors did it' reasoning - LCHF is a perfectly fine lifestyle for those who it suits and want to do it, however the whole; our ancestors were leaner and healthier because of it argument, doesn't sit well with me, when a third of Abletts cals come from a drink not available to our ancestors.

My Ancestor remarks are more in reference to fasting & eating patterns more so than what they actually ate.

BP coffee isn't for everyone or a nessecerary requirement to succeed in fasting, BP coffee is just a tool to aid fasting.
I did well on a 16/8 fast before introducing BP coffee, I didn't eat before 12noon or after 8pm.
No l have BP coffee in the morning & eat between 6-9pm.
Only time I eat before 6pm is a pre w/o feed on training days or a post w/o feed after a.m training.

I agree to a certain extent. The diet is solid on its own merrits, i'd be happier to leave the ancestoral stuff out of it.

My Ancestor remarks are more in reference to fasting & eating patterns more so than what they actually ate.

BP coffee isn't for everyone or a nessecerary requirement to succeed in fasting, BP coffee is just a tool to aid fasting.
I did well on a 16/8 fast before introducing BP coffee, I didn't eat before 12noon or after 8pm.
No l have BP coffee in the morning & eat between 6-9pm.
Only time I eat before 6pm is a pre w/o feed on training days or a post w/o feed after a.m training.

Exactly, it's not about matching what our ancestors ate stroke for stroke, it's about mimicking the food they ate or more so what they didn't eat.

Here's why I don't consume or promote Flaxseed oil.
1. 90% chance it rancid.
2. The omega ratios are out of balance.
3. It contains ALA which contains lignans that enhances the risk of prostate cancer.

Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil is by far the best oil.

Again, I know this was written months ago, but I feel I must respond.

1. You are right that rancidity can be an issue with flaxseed oil, but it's one that can be managed. Firstly purchase from a manufacturer that has a sound extraction process and proper packaging. I suggest Stoney Creek, whose screw extractors operate at low temperatures in a light and oxygen free environment, with the product immediately bottled in nitrogen-caped metal cans. If you purchase only from a refrigerator and refrigerate immediately yourself, then consume within 30 days, which is around the standard dose for 500mL, rancidity really shouldn't be a problem at all.

2. It's from a non-animal source ... what do you expect? But it actually has the highest ratio of Omega 3:6 out of all vegetable oils. The bigger issue is the body's poor conversion of ALA to DHA and EPA. And then you suggest replacing it with coconut oil, which lacks Omega-3. Assuming nicky is taking it for the benefits of Omega 3, that's a poor suggestion.

3. Sorry mate, but pure cold pressed oil shouldn't contain lignans. It would have to contain particulates from the ground flaxseed for this to be the case, either through enrichment or poor filtration. But even if it did, I assumed nicky was a female for some reason, so prostate concerns shouldn't be a problem. More interesting for her would be the countless studies that have shown ALA and lignans to be a preventative to breast cancer. Lastly on this, there are studies showing increased risk, unchanged risk and even decreased risk of prostate cancer from high ALA intake and as always, issues surrounding the methodology of each. So it's hardly as definitive as you've put it above.

Damn, that is disappointing to hear about flaxseed oil.

Please don't be put off by what ablett said. Get the Stoney Creek brand and follow the instructions I laid out in point one of the above post and you should be all set.

Please don't be put off by what ablett said. Get the Stoney Creek brand and follow the instructions I laid out in point one of the above post and you should be all set.

I have stoney creek sitting on my desk but it's older than 30 days and hasn't been in the refrigerator. I'll get some next time i'm at the farmers market. A friend of mine was also talking up its merrits and suggested that i refrigerate it.. :thumbsu:

Again, I know this was written months ago, but I feel I must respond.

1. You are right that rancidity can be an issue with flaxseed oil, but it's one that can be managed. Firstly purchase from a manufacturer that has a sound extraction process and proper packaging. I suggest Stoney Creek, whose screw extractors operate at low temperatures in a light and oxygen free environment, with the product immediately bottled in nitrogen-caped metal cans. If you purchase only from a refrigerator and refrigerate immediately yourself, then consume within 30 days, which is around the standard dose for 500mL, rancidity really shouldn't be a problem at all.

2. It's from a non-animal source ... what do you expect? But it actually has the highest ratio of Omega 3:6 out of all vegetable oils. The bigger issue is the body's poor conversion of ALA to DHA and EPA. And then you suggest replacing it with coconut oil, which lacks Omega-3. Assuming nicky is taking it for the benefits of Omega 3, that's a poor suggestion.

3. Sorry mate, but pure cold pressed oil shouldn't contain lignans. It would have to contain particulates from the ground flaxseed for this to be the case, either through enrichment or poor filtration. But even if it did, I assumed nicky was a female for some reason, so prostate concerns shouldn't be a problem. More interesting for her would be the countless studies that have shown ALA and lignans to be a preventative to breast cancer. Lastly on this, there are studies showing increased risk, unchanged risk and even decreased risk of prostate cancer from high ALA intake and as always, issues surrounding the methodology of each. So it's hardly as definitive as you've put it above.

Are you are Rep for Stoney Creek?
Regardless of what you've stated is correct or not our body doesn't utilise the ratios of omega's that flax oil contains.
Coconut oil should be the first oil of choice then olive n butter oil a close second.

Eat the flax seeds or meal which is less processed.

There was a university study done in England a few years ago where they gathered all the leading Flax oil brands & tested them for rancidity.
Regardless of the quality of the extraction process, 90% tested rancid.

I have stoney creek sitting on my desk but it's older than 30 days and hasn't been in the refrigerator. I'll get some next time i'm at the farmers market. A friend of mine was also talking up its merrits and suggested that i refrigerate it.. :thumbsu:

Good stuff. Just make sure it's refrigerated when you purchase it from the farmer's market. Ablett is correct that flaxseed oil is highly susceptible to oxidation and Stoney Creek distribute their oil to suppliers cooled as well, so getting it from the fridge and into the fridge at home asap is reasonably important.

There was a university study done in England a few years ago where they gathered all the leading Flax oil brands & tested them for rancidity.
Regardless of the quality of the extraction process, 90% tested rancid.

Wait, what? That's your basis for saying that there's a 90% chance that everyone's flaxseed oil will be rancid? A bit of an abuse of statistics there I think.

Even so, a single study doesn't really mean much without replication. But I am intrigued as to the date from manufacture and the method of storage pre and post purchase; as well as details of the extraction process, bottling and distribution of the oils they tested, which given you say it made no difference, I imagine is all outlined in the research along with the oxidation percentages for each group.

Personally, I very much doubt that if they sourced from a producer using methods similar to Stoney Creek's and followed the correct storage procedure, that the oil would fall into that 90% within 30 days. So I really would like to see the study for myself and critique what it was they actually did, rather than just gobble up the conclusions as fact. Could you please provide me with some source for that study, so i can take a closer look?

Regardless of what you've stated is correct or not our body doesn't utilise the ratios of omega's that flax oil contains.

What does this really mean exactly? Regardless of the ratios, only a small percentage of ALA will ever be converted to EPA and even less to DHA anyway, but a percentage does indeed get utilised depending on a number of factors; such as the ratio of dietary and tissue omegas, as different concentrations affect the conversion enzyme involved in fatty acid pathways differently; physiological factors i.e. diabetics won't convert ALA regardless of the source; and nutritional factors, such as adequate levels of zinc and iron for example. In the end, it's possible you can have greater utilisation of Omega 3 overall from flaxseed than other plant oils. It really depends on the overall picture. It also depends on your aim; if you want to balance out overall omega ratios in your diet from plant oils, then flaxseed and some dietary changes isn't a bad option; if you're looking to maintain an established healthy ratio, then the ratios in hemp seed oil might be a better option, although not legal for internal consumption in Australia. In the end, if getting some EPA and DHA is your goal, you'd be better off seeking it from fish oils, or algae sources if you're a vego, but that doesn't mean flaxseed oil is bad or useless and to be avoided altogether.

Coconut oil should be the first oil of choice then olive n butter oil a close second.

Coconut oil has a small percentage of EFA's. While it does have it's benefits, I find this "coconut oil over everything" approach a little bit off myself. I would have no problem recommending flaxseed oil for cold consumption and something like coconut oil for cooking; and I'll give a plug here too for the underrated macadamia oil when cooking at temperatures lower than 220oC.

Eat the flax seeds or meal which is less processed.

Eh? But it's the meal that contains lignans, which you've previously said are bad. Not that I agree with you, but this just seems inconsistent. Nonetheless, I wouldn't say your suggestion is a bad one. While you're not going to get comparable amounts of EFA's from the meal, it is a somewhat more stable option and in it's natural form. Probably better though to buy the seeds whole and grind them as you go if you have concerns about rancidity.

dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back