To eat or not to eat breakfast?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would die if I didnt have my 10 weetbix and coffee in the morning.

In my teens I would eat 10-13 weetbix in the morning but in my forties I am far happier with a salad and some protein or fruit with Chai seeds soaked in hazel nut milk

Any protein will "break the fast".

Having a standard protein shake will definitely break it and remove the benefits from the fasting.

The recommendation of 10g bcaa every 2 hours post-workout from memory will slightly break it and is a compromise. But the benefit of it (maintaining protein synthesis period post workout) outweighs the cost.

Carb backloading by job Keifer ( I have been on CBL for six months) has an am " accelerator shake" with mct oil, caffeine to stimulate continued fat burning and 10g of when isolate ( he quotes data that ten g does not s pike insulin). Have this at seven and nine with first meal of fats and protein at eleven.

Never been as strong and lean at the same time as from following CBL and eating no breakfast.

Carb backloading by job Keifer ( I have been on CBL for six months) has an am " accelerator shake" with mct oil, caffeine to stimulate continued fat burning and 10g of when isolate ( he quotes data that ten g does not s pike insulin). Have this at seven and nine with first meal of fats and protein at eleven.

Never been as strong and lean at the same time as from following CBL and eating no breakfast.

that's really interesting. I have always been told to have a breakfast, I will have to do some experimenting.

Do you find your energy levels are up too?

Show me a good argument why we should eat breakfast besides articles from Kellogs or Uncle Toby's?

can you get the same benefit or more by avoiding dinner (so fasting from 1pm to 8am?)

can you get the same benefit or more by avoiding dinner (so fasting from 1pm to 8am?)

The benefit derives from giving the digestive system a longer break then usual enabling any repair and needed rest to take place. Also by not continually releasing insulin into your body you may become more insulin sensitive and absorb food better. The test is to give yourself as much a break is needed but not too much where you deprive nutrients and slow your body down.

Son in answer to your question yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quit the medical mumbo jumbo, what should I be eating for breakfast?

I'm not an office boy, I get hungry again by 0830

lucky you

I remember the days of eating thirteen weet-bix, a litre and a bit of milk, a table spoon of sugar and fruit for breakie. Back then, I could get away with it (even needed it) because I worked for a living.That said, if I could have my time again, I probably would sought more variety but I had a pretty limited budget as a teen.

Now I'm an office boy! where is my mung bean curry?

Quit the medical mumbo jumbo, what should I be eating for breakfast?

I'm not an office boy, I get hungry again by 0830

High fat & protein, minimal carbs if any.

Pasture raised eggs with free range non cured bacon & green vege.

Whey shake with berries in coconut milk.

Pea
So toast and peanut butter is as s**t for you as it tastes?

Peanuts contain mould & toast is an anti-nutrient like sugar.

Your better off fasting than eating that in my opinion.

Your could make home made pancakes with almond meal instead of flour & almond or macadamia nut butter mixed with eggs n mashed banana as the batter, made them for the kids last night with cocoa powder mixed in n cream ontop.
Bloody booootiful!

Pea

Peanuts contain mould & toast is an anti-nutrient like sugar.

Your better off fasting than eating that in my opinion.

Your could make home made pancakes with almond meal instead of flour & almond or macadamia nut butter mixed with eggs n mashed banana as the batter, made them for the kids last night with cocoa powder mixed in n cream ontop.
Bloody booootiful!

Damn, that's not a bad idea. The lil' fella will love that.

Show me a good argument why we should eat breakfast besides articles from Kellogs or Uncle Toby's?
http://daa.asn.au/for-the-media/hot-topics-in-nutrition/weight-loss-to-eat-or-not-to-eat/
Weight: a balancing act

Weight gain is caused by eating more energy (or kilojoules) than is used up in physical activity. So when it comes to losing weight, there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach.
The US Weight Control Registry has tracked more than 10,000 people who have lost a minimum of 13 kilos, and kept it off for at least one year. Research from this group has shown the most effective weight loss strategies can also be the most realistic:
  • Eating breakfast every day
  • Measuring your weight on the scales each week
  • Watching less than 10 hours of television per week
  • Exercising for at least one hour each day.
http://daa.asn.au/for-the-media/hot-topics-in-nutrition/weight-loss-to-eat-or-not-to-eat/

Once you do some real research you will realise that calories in v calories out has been debunked along with low fat diets are superior.
All calories ain't equal, your can eat more of certain foods before you gain fat than others that's why certain diets you can surplus maintenance calories & not gain weight, certain calories effect the metabolism more than others.
And do you actually workout how many calories have come in & out, how many cals are sitting in your bowel at any given time?
You can Fast, eat less calories & grow, be in Ketosis, eat surplus calories & loss weight, explain that?

Once you do some real research you will realise that calories in v calories out has been debunked along with low fat diets are superior.
All calories ain't equal, your can eat more of certain foods before you gain fat than others that's why certain diets you can surplus maintenance calories & not gain weight, certain calories effect the metabolism more than others.
And do you actually workout how many calories have come in & out, how many cals are sitting in your bowel at any given time?
You can Fast, eat less calories & grow, be in Ketosis, eat surplus calories & loss weight, explain that?

Just quoting the studies mate. Studies show eating breakfast works.

I don't count my calories and I'm as fit as a fiddle, eating a healthy balanced diet combined with exercise.

No Himalayan salt or activated almonds in sight.

I don't count my calories and I'm as fit as a fiddle, eating a healthy balanced diet combined with exercise.

I doubt they were independent studies.

How do you determine you are as fit as a fiddle?

What's your idea of a balance diet?

Tend to agree with this.