Past Tom Bell

Remove this Banner Ad

You really think Bell could become a great player?

I don't quite see it but I respect the opinion.
Just don't see his vision as being anything special just yet, but I'm in if you think so.
I do. I think he needs to go from 14 touches a game to 25 and when he does the way he wins the ball, carries it and how he can evade or break tackles as well as his obvious physicality will make him a great player.

People seem to be underselling the fact that Bell had virtually no pre-season and missed several months of the season with a stress fracture in his back. To come in and contribute at senior level was a fantastic effort (much like Levi Casboult, who came into the seniors on the back of a single game in the VFL).

Bell is seriously a coach's dream: few midfielders boast such unique physical attributes. With a concerted effort from the coaching staff, Bell can hopefully be taught how to find the footy more and hurt teams not just with his physicality, but by providing another consistent link in the midfield chain.

Can't wait to see how he develops in the coming seasons. :thumbsu:

Probably would add hardness to a GF team where hard bodies and aggression are needed. Look at Hawthorn's silkier, but slighter players who were found wanting today. Hanneberry, Bolton, O'Keeffe, Parker, Bird and Jack aren't the silkiest and most talented footballers running around, but only know one way to play. Long way to go, but one can dream.

The good thing about Bell's aggressive play and hits is I don't recall him being pinged for any of them. His tackles seem to be spot on (though some were borderline sling tackles...will need to be careful there) and his hip and shoulders are good, hard but legal hits (remember him shocking the crap out of Lenny Hayes :D ) and he makes his opposition really feel it.

Just need to work on getting more of the ball and general disposal.

Seems to be able to kick straight for goal, i.e a simple fairly easy straight kick on the run or a set shot but anything that requires a bit more angle, especially on the run, is pretty poor and sometimes rather cringe worthy.

Getting more of the ball, hmm, not sure whether that's AFL match fitness or footy smarts yet. Coaches seem pretty certain he'll sharpen up after more game time and he DID have an injury interrupted season.

Just my honest assessment but I do like the boy and hope we can develop him into the midfield beast we hope he can be.

Promote this kid big bodied midfielder,was as good as Brock and the reason Carlton were winning he is hard have a look at the bump on Lenny Hayes.

hey got word that Tom bell has has been elevated to the senior list, can any of you carlton folk confirm or deny that,

as a brissis supporter would love to see him play for the lions, REALISTICALLY what draft pick would we have to give up to secure him for next year ????

According to Barrett - the Bulldogs have tabled a 3 year deal for Tommy.

I would have thought he would be the last type of player that they need, however, one would think it would be hard for Tom to say no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Bell #28
DOB: 13/6/1991
Height: 187 cm
Weight: 95 kg
Beep test result: 15.1

2012 Statistics

Games: 7
Goals: 4
Behinds: 1
Disposals: 104 - avg 14.8 per game
Kicks: 67 - avg 9.6 per game
Handballs: 37 - avg 5.3 per game
Marks: 19 - avg 2.7 per game
Tackles: 30 - avg 4.3 per game
Contested Possessions: 55 - avg 7.8 per game
Uncontested Possessions: 48 - avg 6.8 per game
Clearances: 29 - avg 4.1 per game
Inside 50s: 20 - avg 2.8 per game
Rebound 50s: 12 - avg 1.7 per game
Disposal Efficiency: 62.5%
References to his height, weight and beep test by the media: Number inconceivable by the human mind

Background

Hailing from Brisbane, Tom began playing with NEAFL club Morningside in 2010 and earning a regular senior spot in 2011. Playing primarily off the half-back and wing, Tom earnt a rising star nomination in 2010 and two in 2011, finishing fourth overall in the race for the medal in both years. Overlooked on draft day in 2010 after a poor showing due to a virus, Tom focused on a better showing at the 2011 camp. After impressing Wayne Hughes both during his season with Morningside and at the draft camp, Tom was selected by Carlton with pick #14 of the 2011 AFL Rookie Draft.

2012 Season

The 2012 season began in disappointing fashion for Tom, with an adductor injury severely limiting his pre-season preparation and preventing him from playing in the VFL until the 14th of April. After a single game in the VFL reserves, Tom played the next 8 in the VFL seniors, gaining both match fitness and improving his style of play. After a 3 goal, 21 disposal and 11 tackle game against Frankston in the VFL (followed by another 3 goal game against Casey in the VFL reserves) a mixture of good form and injuries to the Carlton side saw Tom make his debut against the Western Bulldogs in Round 17. Originally earmarked to be the sub, the late withdrawal of Mitch Robinson saw Tom placed into the starting team and the also debuting Frazer Dale as sub. Starting on the interchange bench, Tom soon made his presence known, bursting through packs and laying bone-crunching tackles. In a wonderful come-from-behind win, Tom kicked his first AFL goal and played well enough to retain his place in the team. Tom maintained his hard style of play, clearing the ball and sending inside the forward 50, felling players with heavy bumps and played every game for the rest of the year. Tom's year culminated in his receiving the Carlton Football Club's Best First Year Player award at the Best and Fairest and was named in AFL Queensland's Team of the Year. The end of the season brought rumours regarding Tom's future, with him being linked to purported three year deals offered by the Western Bulldogs and his home town team, the Brisbane Lions. Despite this, on the 9th of October 2012, it was announced that Tom had re-signed with the Carlton Football Club, with him remaining on the rookie list for the 2013 season, followed by an upgrade to the senior list in 2014 and an option on the third year.

What's Next for Tom?

While Tom's ferocity for and ability to win the ball cannot be questioned, his disposal is one of his weaker attributes and something I am definitely sure he will work on given a full and uninterrupted pre-season. Regardless of this, Tom brings with him an attack on the ball and hardness that, given more AFL experience, will prove invaluable to our classy ball users. As the nominated rookie next year in place of injured defender Andrew McInnes, Tom should expect to find himself regularly in the starting 22, with his toughness used in the middle to bring the ball inside Carlton's forward 50. Here's hoping for a fit and ready Tom Bell for Round 1 2013, who, in tandem with "Bash Brother" Mitch Robinson, will put the fear of God into Carlton's opponents.

Let me know if there's anything I need to add/change/remove

Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane

Carlton has placed Andrew McInnes on the long-term injury list and upgraded Tom Bell from the rookie list as his replacement.

We knew it was coming, but today this was made official. Looking forward to seeing him through the preseason and indeed the regular season.

I really think this guy has a role for us. He doesn't have to be a Kouta-like superstar to be valuable, either.

Mitch Robinson's kamikaze style has stood out for several seasons at the Blues, where I think we have quite a number of small-framed "skill" players and not that many clearance tank impact guys. Along comes Tom Bell who, if nothing else, is a freakin' battering ram! Having someone of his size swooping through the centre square/clearances will really help break things up and clear a path for the other guys.

Yeh he needs to get more polished, and ensure he's in the right spots, etc. But there's certainly a role for him. A good find.

See Bell's style as more akin to Dane Swan than Koutoufides..

Big body and looks slow, but keeps on running like the waddler
Hard to tackle
Win his own ball and breaks free out of traffic
Average field kick, but can kick a goal and push forward to outmark opponents

this is pretty spot on, i don't see him skulking about at the back of the stoppage looking for dream team points tho.

i like:
breaks tackles and makes tackles. made for the super congestion of the modern stoppage

think he could tag big bodies like Jobe and Kennedy

also like the idea of him pushing forward on smaller opponents and out marking

he may end up fighting with Randy the Ram (robinson) for one spot in the team as they play very similarly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back