List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Early I know. But it's become glaringly obvious and giving me the absolute shits with our list management team. I do understand we're in a kind of management transition period with McKenna departing, and Eade jumping on board. BUT I wanted to create a thread and discuss obvious hypotheticals, and probably start directing some criticism and/or applaud to Clayton/Ashcroft and co in the list management.

So far I'm torn, whether they have done a good job or bad the past 5 off seasons. It almost appears we've gone down in age and got younger, and while we recently have brought Malceski on which was a great signing at the time, and hopefully proves that it is a great signing. I still feel like we haven't done enough with our opportunities and I'm left wanting more from our list management team, or perhaps 1 or 2 bold moves. I get the sense as well that this year because players aren't being "gifted" games anymore, and its based on work ethic and form, which is bloody great - that there may be a move or 2 end of this season.

would definitely hope we look at improving our list with experienced players at the end of the season. need a bit more of a balance. i'd say that after a season with eade in charge, he could do a big clean out of surplus players.

to start us off, is fyfe out of contract? :p

The core of the list was built through the 2010 draft and the earlier concessions. I would say the job with getting young players in that period was good but not great and the luck was average (need a lot of luck with young players in any sport).

You need a lot of luck with who is available as a zone selection in 2009/10 (pretty good luck with Zac Smith, May, Rory, Dixon still here as well as Tom Hickey who was traded for pick 13).

You need a lot of luck with who is in the initial 2010 draft year and then more luck with the selections. 2010 was a pretty good year and the club did pretty well with Swallow, Bennell, Prestia and Lynch all taken in the top 11 picks.
  • Still waiting on Day, Gorringe and Seb Tape (picks 2, 10 and 13)
  • Still waiting on Garlett who was taken at the pick we got for Caddy
  • The two that hurt are taking Caddy over Heppell at 7/8 and Taylor over Luke Parker at 39/40.
  • Missed out on Gaff (taken at pick 4), Isaac Smith (6 picks after Tape) but Libba was a father/son.
  • But drafting is hard otherwise Carlton and Melbourne and GWS would be playing off in the grand final every year. And every single club has a hard luck draft story where a highly rated player does not work out.
The one key list building area where they needed more luck was with the 12 underage players (turned 17 in first part of 2009). A lot of 17 year old stars don't kick on to the AFL.
  • Only 5 of the 12 are still left (McKenzie, Matera, Russell, Shaw and Tom Nicholls) so the luck was probably below average.
Overall I would say pretty good given the luck was about average.

Since then, the best decision was having the courage to trade top picks for Jaeger (pick 4 and a mid-1st round pick) and Jack Martin (pick 2) when other clubs were too weak. A big tick from me.

Also, gets a bit annoying comparing the GWS list to the Suns. The Giants got more draft and list concessions from the AFL than the Suns. Especially the rights the GWS had to trade Jaeger, Martin, Jesse Hogan and Brad Crouch to other clubs which I think amounts to 6 extra 1st round picks over the Suns original concessions. Luxury!

Also disagree with Abletts big contract, would have thought he wants to win a premiership? Wouldn't take a pay cut to attract another experienced mid. Sure Gaz deserves the money, but he has made 10mil the last few years.
While I do agree with you, I don't think it's been announced how much of his salary is coming out of the salary cap for player payments. I'd assume part of the reason it took so long to negotiate Ablett's deal was because of the 'outside player payments' negotiations, i.e. his gatorade deal, his AFL ambassador stuff, his 'face of the Suns' payments, etc. I know there was a rumour around that Gaz wanted less of the limelight and requested most of his payments to come from his playing contract, and not from his sponsorship deals, but who knows what they agreed on.

I'm confident that the club has been sensible enough not to shoot themselves in the foot regarding Ablett's contract, because as we all know, it's going to be difficult to keep Prestia, Swallow, Lynch, Bennell, Martin, May, Thompson, etc, if we're stuck paying Gaz an astronomical Buddy-esque player contract.

While I do agree with you, I don't think it's been announced how much of his salary is coming out of the salary cap for player payments. I'd assume part of the reason it took so long to negotiate Ablett's deal was because of the 'outside player payments' negotiations, i.e. his gatorade deal, his AFL ambassador stuff, his 'face of the Suns' payments, etc. I know there was a rumour around that Gaz wanted less of the limelight and requested most of his payments to come from his playing contract, and not from his sponsorship deals, but who knows what they agreed on.

I'm confident that the club has been sensible enough not to shoot themselves in the foot regarding Ablett's contract, because as we all know, it's going to be difficult to keep Prestia, Swallow, Lynch, Bennell, Martin, May, Thompson, etc, if we're stuck paying Gaz an astronomical Buddy-esque player contract.
dont be surprised if gary has a karmichael hunt type contract

I would rather the suns to finish with the spoon this year get pick 1 and because we are the AFL's baby we will get a priority pick which will be pick 2. so that would give the suns pick 1,2 and 20 (first pick in the second round) with gaz and Omerea coming back next season. best getting games into 2 meter peter, Garlett, Miller, Lemmens, Martin and Lonergan now so they will be ready for next season.

Sam day traded for a mid-late first round..
Then package that with our end of first round compo pick

To either get a top 10 pick or to trade for experience

Plus we'll have pick 1 for getting the wooden spoon

2 picks in the top 10 I'll be reasonably happy
To be honest I think Sam Day has a lot to give I just reckon he would be better down back than forward.

If I went through the list right now and had must keeps on the list for next year they would be
Ablett
Bennell
Day
Dixon
Kolo
Lemmens
Lynch
Martin
May
Miller
Omerea
Prestia
Saad
Swallow
Wright

Most Likely keep (Only trade if the price is right)
Garlett
Boston
Glenn
Hallahan
Harbrow
Lonergan
Malceski
Matera
McKenzie
Rischa
Shaw
Smith
Thompson

Everyone else on the list should be for sale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I think Sam Day has a lot to give I just reckon he would be better down back than forward.

If I went through the list right now and had must keeps on the list for next year they would be
Ablett
Bennell
Day
Dixon
Kolo
Lemmens
Lynch
Martin
May
Miller
Omerea
Prestia
Saad
Swallow
Wright

Garlett
Boston
Glenn
Hallahan
Harbrow
Lonergan
Malceski
Matera
McKenzie
Rischa
Shaw
Smith
Thompson

Agree except Rischitelli. Has been our best player all year, and is a hard at it workhorse.

Ablett
Bennell
Day
Dixon
Kolo
Lemmens
Lynch
Martin
May
Miller
Omerea
Prestia
Saad
Swallow
Wright

Garlett
Boston
Glenn
Hallahan
Harbrow
Lonergan
Malceski
Matera
McKenzie
Rischa
Shaw
Smith
Thompson

I had to look at the calendar and make sure it wasn't April Fools Day
You rate Day and Lemmens over Harbs and Rischa?? o_O

To get a top 10 pick
Plus we'll have pick 1 for getting the wooden spoon
2 picks in the top 10 I'll be reasonably happy

notThisShitAgain.gif

I had to look at the calendar and make sure it wasn't April Fools Day
You rate Day and Lemmens over Harbs and Rischa?? o_O
Rischa and Harbrow have trade value, at this stage Day an Lemmens have none but they do have have time to make a career.

Rischa and Harbrow have trade value, at this stage Day an Lemmens have none but they do have have time to make a career.

We are desperately lacking experienced players and you want to trade 2 of them away?

Ablett, Harbrow, Rischatelli, Malceski, Broughton & Raines are the only guys on our list to have played over 100 games.

Only 2 of those are playing seniors at the moment.

The club was praying our kids would improve thier mental, physical & skill levels once they hit the 50-70 game mark and be able to hold their own.

This hasn't happened and they are still a long way off.

We are now in the s**t until they do.

It's all well and good to want to cut half the team but who would want to come to us? We are 0-4 and what player would want a repeat of what Malceski did?
Spot on, it's not draft picks we need its effort from the group, pampered "potential" stars don't work as hard as guys playing for their career, as we have all seen.
Plus the like of Day are not going to get us a first round pick. Ask yourselves if Day played elsewhere would we give up a first rounder for him? I think not

I have grave fears the last couple weeks the strategy of all kids + Ablett was incorrect. Questions need to be asked.

We need to bring on some old heads to create a culture, because at the moment I feel as though it's quite hollow and can't recognise what the players stand for.

Perhaps Hinkley 2 years ago, and McKenna was a bigger hit to our fight and culture than we realise? Our development of players appears to have gone backwards, and our midfield/ruck team appear the weakest in the league. It's not all doom and gloom because I have a lot respect for Eade and I do believe he understands the game more than McKenna without a doubt. It certainly feels it's a break it down to rebuild type scenario. I'm just dissapointed and heartbroken because we have endured some painful time since inception, and we have definitely taken a couple backwards step

Remove this Banner Ad

Back