Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Drafted with pick number 33 in the 2013 National Draft

293210-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Height: 190 cms
Club: Oakleigh Chargers

Knightmare's phantom draft
#23 Adelaide (compensation) - Tom Cutler (VIC –Mid/Def)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 20/02/1995
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Cutler is a tall midfielder/ backman who has missed this season with injury. Cutler’s point of different is his footskills which are excellent with his ability to hit targets over a variety of ranges and do damage. Cutler has shown that he can push forward when required and take a mark and impact on the scoreboard but then also push back and take an intercept mark, so he has some versatility. Athletically Cutler is also above average at his size and moves well and can at times take on the game reasonable well. He’s also shown down back that he has good closing speed. Just having not seen Cutler this year it’s unclear as to exactly where he’s at.

Quigley's phantom draft
32 Sydney

With quite a bit of height going out of the Swans this year and over the next couple (Mattner, LRT, Ted Richards, Everitt) the Swans need to start getting a few more live bodies in there. The situation is pretty good really with the likes of Johnson in there and Reid available to move into defense. X and Marsh might also do okay. Still I would be taking a couple of tallish defenders in this draft and Cutler is one I think they would look at if he was available here.

Tom Cutler
DOB 20/2/95 Ht 192 Wt 84

I have to say Cutler was not really on my radar at all until Emma Quayle stated that he should be picked up so I had a bit better look and decided to include him. I certainly was not thinking of putting him anywhere near the first round like Brett Anderson did when he slotted him going to GWS at 14. I realise that Gubby Allen is not a terribly bright man but really, 14??? If he did go that high it would be another pick where the rest of the competition thank god for the incompetence of the GWS drafting team.

So why might he be worth a first rounder? Well I think the people that are rating him highly have been in love with him since last year. Last year he actually did look like a first rounder and he was named as an AIS scholarship holder. This year though he has really done nothing that says pick me. If he was in WA there would be accusations of him being hidden away. He played only 2 Champs games and 1 TAC game this year and he averaged only 13 and 11 disposals respectively. So suffice it to say that he was not a big possession winner this year. He actually got more of it in the TAC last year when he averaged 16.7 disposals per game.

Another question is what position he is going to play. He has played forward and back and through the midfield. He has also played as a flanker and as a pseudo key position at times. Most people see him as a back flanker and I am going to agree with that. He does not have the height to play key position and whilst he might someone float over to play as a third tall generally I do not think he plays to his height. He is a good mark but when he does not get a jump I think he has trouble dealing with guys his height or more. He has a nice frame to put bulk on but he does lack a bit of strength.

Cutler's is commonly thought of as an excellent kick but personally I have not thought his kicking was anything of positive note and that is not just because he only managed to go at 36% in his disposal efficiency in his TAC game. I think that game was an aberration but generally I think his kicking finds targets but he is not a particularly damaging player. He takes safe short options a lot and rarely does he put guys away. By hand he similarly generally hits his targets but lacks the zip to get the ball to his man and allow him time to get away. So in my opinion his skills are solid and he hits his targets most often but he lacks the hurt factor of the guys I would consider elite.

In game situations Cutler has some real pace when he puts his foot down. The thing is though that he does not put down his foot all that much. He is very much a short burst player at the moment and mostly he tends to cruise around at half pace. At combine he ran a 2.93 20m which demonstrated excellent pace for someone his size but the contrast with his 30m repeat sprint was stark. In the 20m he was in the top 10% but in the repeat sprint he was below 50%. His beep test was quite poor for the position he is slated to play and I think the lack of endurance affects his ability to sustain his pace. His running jumps were not good as I was anticipated finishing just above the bottom third but on the other side of the coin I was surprised at how well he did in the agility test. I thought he was below average as far as elusiveness goes and his agility score just below the top 25% surprised me.

Cutler reads the ball well in the air and shows good judgment about whether to mark or spoil. When he goes for the mark his hands are strong and despite not scoring particularly high in the jumps he marks it nice and high. Having a look he does have particularly long arms so I guess that helps him get above those he is competing against. When he goes forward he can take a mark but he is not a big leading target. Above the head his hands tend to be pretty good but below the knees I would suggest they are below average for a flanker type.

His set shot style is a little unconventional with him tending to pull the ball a bit to the left on his approach but he does straighten up in his last stride and seems to kick straight through the ball. Overall I think his set shot should be fine and he could be a dangerous option up front if plays time up there. His pace and defensive ability would certainly be handy and he can kick a goal if needed.

To tell the truth I did have quite a bit of trouble coming up with someone to compare him to. I think he will become more solid than a lot of guys like Embley and Mackie who are two I hear him compared to a bit. In the end I have gone with Steve Morris who is a bit shorter but I think Cutler has a similar type of attitude and like Morris I don't see him ever being a particularly high possession winner. Cutler might be a nice defensive piece filling out the bottom half of your 22 but I struggle to see him having the ceiling to be worth a first round pick. Second of third rounder perhaps but if I am spending a first rounder I want someone who can excel and I am not seeing that with Cutler.

Chris25's phantom draft
23. Adelaide - Tom Cutler (190cm, 86kg defender - Oakleigh)

Playing as a 17 year old in the TAC Cup last season, Tom Cutler was excellent. I saw him play live a couple of times, and I remember keep having to refer to the footy record to make sure he was an underaged kid. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, he has only played the one game for Oakleigh this season - he was away with the AFL/AIS group on the tour of Europe, he played for Vic Metro in the U18 Championships and he has been playing school football too. So while it's a shame he wasn't able to play more in the TAC Cup, it wont hurt his chances of being drafted much at all. He reminds me a bit of players like Andrew Mackie and Sam Fisher. He can play taller if required and fill in as that second or third tall forward, but it's the combination of that height and his rebounding abilities that is his real strength. Like those two players, he isn't particularly quick - he does however read the play very well, and uses his smarts to work his way out of defence. Cutler might not be a big ball winner, but he is a solid and smart defender who can also push forward or into the midfield.

Snoop Dog's phantom draft
#24 Hawthorn
Tom Cutler - Oakleigh / 190cm / 86kg / ‘95
One of those kids who has played key defensive roles at junior level but is going to be a running HB type at senior level. Has athletic ability to go tall and short and has a very good defensive game so think will be highly sort after. Good strong shape already and think he will probably develop into a really good size. Has good ball use and enough pace so will tick a lot of boxes when recruiters sit down and nut out whether he goes or not. Not entirely sure where he lands because there have been a few types similar to him in recent years and I think clubs are reasonably stocked but he has all the attributes of a player clubs rate highly and he could be higher than this.

Why and who else: I thought for a long time that the Hawks were all over Gartlett and still may happen but thinking is they will pass on him and see what happens with him later as seems very few keen and they may be able to get him at #38.

Pick 33: Tom Cutler

Summary
Third tall defender with good game sense and ability to hit targets consistently by hand or foot. Can play on talls and smalls due to his athleticism and reads the ball in flight particularly well. Makes smart decisions when he comes off his man to affect the contest or win the ball back.
Player comparison
Ben Reid (COLL), Josh Gibson (HAW)

Cutler seems like a Yeo type replacement, not as much zip, but will get a smaller opponent and try rebound where possible.

Think Cutler tested slightly faster than Yeo did from memory. Yeo is clearly more athletic though. I think you've hit the nail on the head in regards to what position he could play. His got the Height, Speed and Agility to play the same role.

For those who know about him is Cutler going to play AFL next year.

For those who know about him is Cutler going to play AFL next year.

If he has a good injury free pre season, I'd say he is a chance to play 10 or so games depending on what position Leppa wants to play him in. Would have liked him to work on a couple of things this year but he didn't really have the chance because he was injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Cutler tested slightly faster than Yeo did from memory. Yeo is clearly more athletic though. I think you've hit the nail on the head in regards to what position he could play. His got the Height, Speed and Agility to play the same role.

Cotter, do you know what Cutler's agility score was?

Looks pretty comfortable on camera. Wouldn't be surprised if he got his own segment at some point.

That is what all draftees should be aspiring to, hosting your own Lions TV segment.

Young Lions’ history lesson

When it was officially announced on 4 July 1996 that Fitzroy would merge with the Brisbane Bears to form the Brisbane Lions, one of the Club’s newest draftees, Darcy Gardiner, was yet to celebrate his first birthday.

This stat goes to prove that the next generation of AFL players will have little to no first-hand knowledge of the two clubs that merged to form what is now known as the Brisbane Lions.

But the Lions go to great lengths to ensure that its players understand the proud and unique history of the Club they now represent.

Part of that process took place during one of the breaks in the recent AFLPA induction program in Melbourne, when the Lions’ 10 first-year players were taken on a tour of the Historical Society Museum located at Etihad Stadium.

Darcy Gardiner and Tom Cutler, meanwhile, said the visit certainly opened their eyes to the extent of the Club’s former glories.

Cutler recognised some of the famous names that appeared in the Museum, and now hopes to one day make his own history with the Club.

“I’m obviously aware of the merger, and some of the old players like Paul Roos whose names appear in the locker room,” he said. “I don’t actually have any 100+ gamers on my (#26) locker so far, so there’s a bit of an incentive to make your own mark on that jumper. “But, at the same time, it would be nice to wear a number that is famous at the Club.”

Link - http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-01-14/young-lions-history-lesson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back