Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

1 goal 4 isn't a great return whatever way you spin it. That said I am all for anyone playing ahead of McGlynn, I'm over him being an automatic best 21 player despite very little performances except his 'toughness'.

Not trying to spin it. I have no idea of the context of the four behinds. Are they set shots? Was he scragging near the post and hurried kicked and it was touched? Was a gale blowing? Makes a difference and was a genuine query. In 2013 he started off very reliable in front of goals and then tapered off so I am interested to here how that is going these days as I do not watch the ressies. All I know is people were writing him off for a tweeted bad disposal last week. Social media mobs are stupidly overrated and gifted power they do not deserve or warrant but that was nuts.

That seems to be the truth, but it's a really crap truth.

Yep. It sucks. I just shrug the shoulders now. Basically paying someone lots of money not to play against us.

Not trying to spin it. I have no idea of the context of the four behinds. Are they set shots? Was he scragging near the post and hurried kicked and it was touched? Was a gale blowing? Makes a difference and was a genuine query. In 2013 he started off very reliable in front of goals and then tapered off so I am interested to here how that is going these days as I do not watch the ressies. All I know is people were writing him off for a tweeted bad disposal last week. Social media mobs are stupidly overrated and gifted power they do not deserve or warrant but that was nuts.

Yep. It sucks. I just shrug the shoulders now. Basically paying someone lots of money not to play against us.

I dont think there is a problem with his goal kicking as such but rather his decision making around goal. He sometimes tries to bite off more than he can chew ie going from too far out or under too much pressure, but that will come with experience. At the end of the day he is a young kid desperately trying cement his spot. You cant blame him from being a little toey around goal

I dont think there is a problem with his goal kicking as such but rather his decision making around goal. He sometimes tries to bite off more than he can chew ie going from too far out or under too much pressure, but that will come with experience. At the end of the day he is a young kid desperately trying cement his spot. You cant blame him from being a little toey around goal

Pretty sure he's cemented his spot...in the two's!

1 goal 4...seriously. It is the area he needs improving change that to 3 goals 1 and you have an outstanding rounded game. However I'd still rather him than mcGlynn!

1 goal 4 isn't a great return whatever way you spin it. That said I am all for anyone playing ahead of McGlynn, I'm over him being an automatic best 21 player despite very little performances except his 'toughness'.
Based on rating stats & "skills" above determination, passion & commitment then we wouldn't have played Kirk or Kelly. We don't pick players based only on the stats they rack up. Ben has the kind of courage & attitude you can't learn or train. It's a valuable asset that he brings that I'm certain the coaches & players would value & rate highly. He's the kind of player you want standing next to you going into a competitive battle.

Maybe you don't rate the "toughness" he brings. But what about the commitment? Determination?Selflessness? Courage? He's proven he'll give everything he's got week in week out.

If just based on uniqueness alone Mitchell is another tough inside mid. Benny can play mid/fwd, has some good speed, tackles hard, fair kick and runs hus guts out. Maybe he's just more flexible from a structural point of view than Mitchell.

This isn't me saying Mitchell shouldn't play either. I reckon he has a role and should rotate a spot in the side with Towers/Cunningham/Heeney/Rohan/Jones/Reid/Goodes/Shaw. Horses for courses on these lads each week I reckon.

Based on rating stats & "skills" above determination, passion & commitment then we wouldn't have played Kirk or Kelly. We don't pick players based only on the stats they rack up. Ben has the kind of courage & attitude you can't learn or train. It's a valuable asset that he brings that I'm certain the coaches & players would value & rate highly. He's the kind of player you want standing next to you going into a competitive battle.

Maybe you don't rate the "toughness" he brings. But what about the commitment? Determination?Selflessness? Courage? He's proven he'll give everything he's got week in week out.

If just based on uniqueness alone Mitchell is another tough inside mid. Benny can play mid/fwd, has some good speed, tackles hard, fair kick and runs hus guts out. Maybe he's just more flexible from a structural point of view than Mitchell.

This isn't me saying Mitchell shouldn't play either. I reckon he has a role and should rotate a spot in the side with Towers/Cunningham/Heeney/Rohan/Jones/Reid/Goodes/Shaw. Horses for courses on these lads each week I reckon.

How many goals do all those things bring...yep none. As I said I have no issue if he is played as a forward, but if he wants to be a mid he can go do it in the reserves. Doesn't get enough ball, and is an average kick, we have enough average kicks in the middle. This competitiveness is horse rubbish, that does not help us one single bit in terms of kicking efficiency. Goodes can do the same thing and actually kick the ball well. Why not try Hewett who is a good kick. Towers has had a good start to the season.

It's the same arguments in this thread every week...

You fighting an urge to close the thread :p

No, it was always going to be a talking point. Just commenting on the fact that the arguments haven't changed :p

I'm actually on the fence with this one, I'm not one to change the team unless there's a pressing need for it, but I can see the case for bringing him in. So I'll leave the debate to you guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No real debate The Swans have made it clear he is not best 22 and after almost winning against s good side he probably wont change it

We cant trade mitchell right now

So theres nothing much to do

Bar restate our views

That's basically it.

How many goals do all those things bring...yep none. As I said I have no issue if he is played as a forward, but if he wants to be a mid he can go do it in the reserves. Doesn't get enough ball, and is an average kick, we have enough average kicks in the middle. This competitiveness is horse rubbish, that does not help us one single bit in terms of kicking efficiency. Goodes can do the same thing and actually kick the ball well. Why not try Hewett who is a good kick. Towers has had a good start to the season.
You trying to troll me now or something? Seriously?

Goals come from turnovers where his pressure on the ball carrier is vital. He gets the ball plenty enough. Go look at his stats last year. Some huge games disposal-wise. All in between huge pressure acts not always showing up on the stats sheet as well. Diving into a oncoming pack head first and spilling the ball means more to the team as getting the handball or recieve after that and getting "the stat" for it.

He can & did/does play a small fwd role showing more speed & goal sense than Mitchell has shown thus far. How many goals do all "those things" (standing up, being physical, being a faster player with a history playing fwd??)... Yeah, you guessed it. A fu**in lot.

He is a fantastic mid who runs hard and doesn't have as bad a kick as you say (certainly not in comparison to Mitchell anyway). He can play inside if required or outside mid. Can tag or push foward.

If you think "we have enough average kicks in the middle" then why the hell do u want Mitchell?!?

If you think "Goodes can do the same thing and actually kick the ball well" over a whole game across the whole season consistently then you are kidding yourself. I love Goodes but he's struggling to run out games & isn't the player he was. Still has good value but not in Ben's role
It's a nonesense comparison. Just to say he can replace & do what Ben can is stupid. Two way gut running, showing agility & tackling defensive pressure?? Goodes? Now? Every week, every game for the rest of the year?? What!?

Finally: "This competitiveness is horse rubbish, that does not help us one single bit in terms of kicking efficiency."

Yeah, competitiveness is rubbish. We should just pick players on how well they kick alone right? Kelly & Kirk were crap players right? (Again, Mitchell > Kicking efficency? What?)

Our club shouldn't pride itself on the team first selflessness that Benny exemplifies... Now that is "horse rubbish".

You trying to troll me now or something? Seriously?

Goals come from turnovers where his pressure on the ball carrier is vital. He gets the ball plenty enough. Go look at his stats last year. Some huge games disposal-wise. All in between huge pressure acts not always showing up on the stats sheet as well. Diving into a oncoming pack head first and spilling the ball means more to the team as getting the handball or recieve after that and getting "the stat" for it.

He can & did/does play a small fwd role showing more speed & goal sense than Mitchell has shown thus far. How many goals do all "those things" (standing up, being physical, being a faster player with a history playing fwd??)... Yeah, you guessed it. A fu**in lot.

He is a fantastic mid who runs hard and doesn't have as bad a kick as you say (certainly not in comparison to Mitchell anyway). He can play inside if required or outside mid. Can tag or push foward.

If you think "we have enough average kicks in the middle" then why the hell do u want Mitchell?!?

If you think "Goodes can do the same thing and actually kick the ball well" over a whole game across the whole season consistently then you are kidding yourself. I love Goodes but he's struggling to run out games & isn't the player he was. Still has good value but not in Ben's role
It's a nonesense comparison. Just to say he can replace & do what Ben can is stupid. Two way gut running, showing agility & tackling defensive pressure?? Goodes? Now? Every week, every game for the rest of the year?? What!?

Finally: "This competitiveness is horse rubbish, that does not help us one single bit in terms of kicking efficiency."

Yeah, competitiveness is rubbish. We should just pick players on how well they kick alone right? Kelly & Kirk were crap players right? (Again, Mitchell > Kicking efficency? What?)

Our club shouldn't pride itself on the team first selflessness that Benny exemplifies... Now that is "horse rubbish".

Ideally I'd rather Hewett/Robinson get an opportunity, but given the two I'd choose Mitchell 100 times out of 100. Both he and McGlynn are so so kicks of the football, average more often that not. McGlynn doesn't find the ball. I don't care how many tackles he makes. It is a decent stat, but I tell you what is a better stat- how often he actually gets the ball. We are playing someone because they tackle basically....in the midfield! Hello, do you not see the issue there. Do tell us what his average possessions last year were, they sure on earth were not high thats for sure. Now ddo I never want him back, no. However surely he has to show form. That is 2 weeks in a row he has been putrid, we got away with it against GWS, we won't against the top sides. Heeney who is a first year player and is playing predominantly forward has better stats, does that not tell you something...that perhaps McGlynn has to show form. I don't find it any surprise we played better whilst he wasn't in the side.

The game has changed, you can't have more than a few low possession mids, look at Hawthorn, all their mids regularly get 25+, closer to 30. We have to aspire to try and get to that model.

Competitiveness is something you would hopefully have, it shouldn't be what you are picked because of, and that is where we differ. Kennedy has that, except he gets the ball 30 times, Parker the same, Hanners the same. You see the pattern. Mids have to be ball accumulators. Now is Mitchell the answer, I don't know. Is McGlynn the answer in the midfield NO. Doesn't get enough of the ball. Now that said, we have a gaping hole as a small forward, how about we play to his strength, put him forward. Just put him as far away from the midfield as humanly possible.

We'll have to agree to disagree LukeParkerno1 .

Stats & possessions aren't everything. Ben gives us something different. He stands up & plays with mongrel. His value is beyond possession counts. He hasn't been great the last few weeks but is only just coming back. Give him 2-3weeks when he's fully fit & rolling. I suspect even then you'll still not see the value I see in his role none-the-less.

We'll have to agree to disagree LukeParkerno1 .

Stats & possessions aren't everything. Ben gives us something different. He stands up & plays with mongrel. His value is beyond possession counts. He hasn't been great the last few weeks but is only just coming back. Give him 2-3weeks when he's fully fit & rolling. I suspect even then you'll still not see the value I see in his role none-the-less.

Happy to agree to disagree, it is a forum afterall (lol). We can't all think the same thing, would be ridiculously boring.

I still see a role for McGlynn but it is forward, it isn't in the midfield in my view. We need guys in the middle that are high possession winners. There is no substitute for getting your hands on the ball nowadays. He should have played those 3 weeks in the NEAFL or as a sub. in one of them. I just feel they have rushed someone in when it was working before.

If a player not named Mitchell picked up 40 in the ressies and the seniors lost a game having been spanked in the midfield when the game was truly on the line would he get a look in the week after?

Depends ... Is he named Morton?

If a player not named Mitchell picked up 40 in the ressies and the seniors lost a game having been spanked in the midfield when the game was truly on the line would he get a look in the week after?

You played Gold Coast. 40 possessions is a terrific number on anyones scale but the GC reserves are awful.
Wouldn't be surprised for Zac Jones to get a gig ahead of Mitchell given the lack of love afforded to Tom.

He's a better player than our Graham who regularly gets 30 possessions a game in the VFL, yet can't break into the main team.
It's not for the amount of possessions but for the hurt factor that matters.

If somebody isn't picked, after getting 40 in the reserves, surely they'd just leave at the end of the year.
McGlynn has been subpar, he needs times in the reserves, and Heeney is possibly out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back