Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

ROCKY DEMOTION THE ‘TOUGHEST’ CALL SO FAR

THERE was plenty of speculation regarding Tom Rockliff’s attitude and leadership qualities last season.

While the 2016 captain remained in Fagan’s leadership group, he was demoted from captain to vice-captain, with fellow midfielder Dayne Beams taking on the top job. Fagan said deciding the captaincy decision was the toughest call he’d had to make since taking over at Brisbane.

“That’s a tough job, particularly when the guy that was captain last year is still at the club and worked tremendously hard over the summer period to prove that he should be captain again and in some ways deserved that opportunity,” Fagan said. “So to make the call the other way and go with ‘Beamsy’ was a big call. “But from what I was able to witness over the four or five months that I’ve been there, Beamsy’s a passionate Brisbane man, he wants to see the club do well.

“But that was a really hard call because Tommy could easily be captain again given the way he worked over the summer — despite all of the bad things that were said about him last year.” Fagan said while Rockliff had been disappointed to miss out on the captaincy, he had responded in the best fashion.

“He took it well. I mean he was disappointed, as you would expect but immediately was all about how he could support Dayne and help him do a good job,” Fagan said. “Tommy’s done a great effort to rebuild his brand over the past four or five months and I’m sure that you’ll see a guy that supports our new captain to the hilt over the summer and has a great season himself.”

Rockliff was consistently linked to a move away from Brisbane last season, with Adelaide mooted as a potential destination. Fagan said he hoped to see Rockliff keen to remain at the club beyond this season. “Well hopefully we do, all these things will transpire over the next 12 months,” he said. “I’ve not had a conversation with him, not in that sort of mould of thinking about that at the moment. “But I’d like to think that we improve enough this year that guys like Tom want to stay at the club and help us rise up the ladder.”

Young guns head 2017's tasty free agency list
5. Tom Rockliff, Brisbane Lions, 27 (restricted)
What's he worth?
After a tumultuous 2016 season on and off the field, Rockliff fell out of favour at the Gabba to the extent the Lions put their then-captain on the table during last year's trade period. The Lions received no serious offers from rival clubs, but the 27-year-old remains an accomplished midfielder and could attract rival bids of about $700,000 a season to leave the Gabba. If the Lions ultimately move to re-sign him, they would likely hope to do so for around $650,000 a year.

Stay or go? The Victorian has responded well to a frank discussion with Chris Fagan upon the former Hawk footy manager's appointment as coach late last year, his recent appointment as vice-captain to new skipper Dayne Beams a sign he has regained any lost respect at the club. Nonetheless, the Lions and Rockliff won't rush into talks on a new deal, with both parties content to sit back and see how 2017 pans out. If the Lions have another tough season on the field, they might consider letting Rockliff go if a rival offer is large enough to net them a first-round compensation pick.

To see how Tom has picked himself off the canvas and shown his true character in how he has played so far this season is a true indication of his abilities. True that he gave himself some of those uppercuts and did himself no favours but I don't think anyone here can say that they can't respect how he has faced the adversity that he has and put the effort out on the field. I just can't help think however if he was in a better team how good he would make them but also himself. Hope he continues the great season that he is having.

IMO if Rocky sees us as an improving side ie. flag capable before he retires, (turns 28 early next year so still has a minimum of 3-4 years left after this one) i think he stays. if not he will exercise his free agency rights and seek a new club that he sees as flag contenders. i wouldn't begrudge that decision either, he has been with us through some really tough times and given his all.

IMO if Rocky sees us as an improving side ie. flag capable before he retires, (turns 28 early next year so still has a minimum of 3-4 years left after this one) i think he stays. if not he will exercise his free agency rights and seek a new club that he sees as flag contenders. i wouldn't begrudge that decision either, he has been with us through some really tough times and given his all.
Chook lotto picking a flag contender these days.

Saints are cashed up....

Edit::
Interest Bombers re-doing the contracts for the "needle gang" might have trouble matching offers for Zaharakis..

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-06/youth-brigade-head-up-2017s-tasty-free-agency-list

Last edited:
I do not see us as a flag contender in that time frame. I honestly believe that is time frame we are looking at to be top 8 contenders.

Chris Fagan on the ‘uncomfortable conversation’ driving Tom Rockliff’s form for Brisbane in 2017

“It was a pretty hard conversation that we had the first time I met him, because I just told him all of the things I’d heard about him,” Fagan told Fox Sports News’ Game Day Live.

“(It wasn’t) what I thought about him, just what I’d heard about him, so that was an uncomfortable conversation.

“But I said to him that day: ‘Okay, we’ve got that on the table, let’s move forward now and you get the chance for a fresh start.’

“He’s taken that and he’s a good man — I’ve got no doubt about that. He couldn’t be any more supportive of myself and the other coaches and what we’re trying to do at the club.

“I can see him growing as a person every day.”

Rockliff was linked to Collingwood, St Kilda and Adelaide during last year’s trade period, with his future likely to again be in the headlines later this season.

Coming out of contract at the end of 2017, Fagan is hopeful he will remain with the Lions and stay a one-club man throughout his career.

“Absolutely (we want him to stick around),” Fagan said.

“I hope Tommy is a one-club player and plays 200 to 250 games for the Brisbane Lions. There’s no reason why he shouldn’t.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a bit of a rubbish article! Not one single quote.
Isn't it completely obvious that, if he hasn't signed already, he will decided in the backend of the year.
What is the point of this article?

Tom Rockliff opens contract talks with Brisbane Lions after return to form on field
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
28 minutes ago
BRISBANE have received a circuit breaker from an unlikely source with former skipper Tom Rockliff opening talks on a new deal.

The Lions are anchored to the bottom of the ladder and going through a tough time off the field with out-of-contract forward Josh Schache granted leave as he considers a return to Victoria.

The club were bracing for a backlash if they lost Rockliff and also allowed Schache to leave and have been urged by former captain Jonathan Brown to match any rival club’s offer for the No. 2 draft pick.

However, the Lions are not prepared to pay anywhere close to the $700,000 figure that has been reported.

Rockliff’s future at Brisbane was in doubt last year when he put contract talks on hold as relations soured with the club.

During the trade period both parties were open to a deal but there were no suitors for the former All-Australian.

He returned after the break with an improved attitude and finished second to Dayne Beams in the captaincy ballot.

He has also reproduced his very best form averaging 30 possessions, 10 clearances and eight tackles a game before injuring his shoulder against Hawthorn in Round 8.

Rockliff is a free agent at the end of the season and can walk out on the Lions if he chooses.

Although a new deal is not a fait accompli, the fact he has told his management group to reopen talks is a major improvement on the feelings between club and player late last season.

CEO Greg Swann confirmed the stalemate had ended and talks were underway.

“He’s willing to start talks so that’s a start,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, the Lions have finally struck a deal with Carlton for women’s star Tayla Harris, which sees Blues forward Bella Ayre and midfielder Nat Exon join the club.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/095587ca0f39a6bf87df4828b267fbe3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back