Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

BZla8wTCMAAENIx.jpg

2013 Review - by POBT

So, it turns out he's a midfielder.

From the outside, the 2013 season appeared to be somewhat of a challenge for Tom Rockliff. Used in several games as a permanent forward, the club vice-captain did a serviceable rather than stellar job, without really setting games alight. However, when used by Michael Voss in the midfield, Rockliff appeared transformed, winning plenty of the hard ball, running all game and generally proving to be of immense value to the side.

From about round 15 onwards, Michael Voss appeared to discard the experiment of playing Rockliff forward. In the final 8 games of the year, Rockliff averaged over 32 touches a game and was one of the dominant midfielders in the competition. He stormed home in the Brownlow, polling 19 out of a possible 24 votes, eventually finishing 6th in the count.

If it was in doubt before, Rockliff showed in 2013 that his best role is as an in and under midfielder, using his game sense, quick hands and work ethic to win the footy in tight and distribute it. He doesn't shirk the tough stuff and is prepared to wear the knocks. He also continues to spread well from the contest, playing a linking role when the ball is uncontested. While not blessed with speed, he plays the game quickly, releasing the footy straight away and moving again to make a contest.

Perhaps the only criticism I have of his game is a tendency to play sideways and even backwards on occasion. To his credit, this seemed less of a problem as the season wore on and he played more direct and damaging football in the latter part of the year. Given he wins so much of the footy, if he can be damaging when he has it, he will elevate himself to the elite group of midfielders in the comp, if he's not already there.

Rockliff finished equal 4th in the Merrett-Murray Medal which was a good result for a somewhat testing season. Whether the move forward was the kick up the backside Rockliff needed or was a coaching mistake will remain unknown. But it would seem unlikely that new coach Leppitsch will play Rockliff anywhere but the midfield in the future.

Rockliff is a leader within the club and showed in 2013 that he is deserving of that position. I expect 2014 will see more of the same from Tommy Rock - a fierce desire to win the footy coupled with the game sense of a natural footballer.

Just recieved this email from Tom/the club to remind me to renew my membership. It brought a lump to my throat and I thought I should share it.
If there was any doubt I was going to renew my membership this email resolved thoose doubts.
Nice bit of marketing by the club and some great sentiments from Tommy.

"Dear knaf,

There are so many reasons why I love being a part of the Brisbane Lions. From the moment I walked through the door the Club welcomed me with open arms.

While others believed I wasn’t good enough, the Lions gave me an opportunity to prove the doubters wrong.

This Club has become a second family to me and the friendships I have formed here are invaluable.

Being part of the Brisbane Lions has given me the opportunity to play alongside some of the greatest players of all time, and experience some once in a lifetime opportunities.

Perhaps one of the easiest ways to express why I love being a part of this footy Club would be to ask you to watch the last two minutes of our Round 13 clash with Geelong.

Those two minutes encapsulate all that I love about playing for the Brisbane Lions.

It truly was a moment I won’t forget. The noise coming from the crowd, the adrenaline that was running through my body and the electric atmosphere that totally eclipsed the Gabba was once in a lifetime.

It really was one of the moments that make you sit back and say “this is why I play footy.”

But it was not just a moment for the players. Our coaches, our administration staff, the commentators, the ushers, and of course the 30,000 spectators, all got to experience something that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Fox Footy’s, Anthony Hudson, famously declared the 52 point comeback as the “Miracle on Grass” and Simon Black described it as the best win of his career, outside of his Grand Final victories.

For me it’s a fitting example of not only why I love the Brisbane Lions, but why I play footy.

Whether you were on the field that night or sitting in the stands, you went home with the feeling that you really had witnessed something truly special.

It is moments like the Geelong victory that reaffirm why I love playing footy and just how lucky I am to “Believe. Belong.”!

TomRockliff_Signature.png

TOM ROCKLIFF

Brisbane Lions star midfielder Tom Rockliff keen to open talks for contract extension
9 February 2014
Paul Malone

EXCLUSIVE: LIONS vice-captain Tom Rockliff has opened talks with the club about a new contract. Rockliff, who was openly critical of members of the "go-home five'' for leaving Brisbane last year, says he hopes the offer will allow him to remain a Lion when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Brisbane will be fully aware that they need to upgrade the contract of Rockliff, who finished equal sixth in last year's Brownlow count and was appointed sole vice-captain this year after sharing the post with Daniel Rich last season.

In October, Lions football manager Dean Warren confirmed Brisbane had rejected an offer from Melbourne to swap Rockliff for pick No. 2 in the subsequent draft.
"Rob Kerr, the list manager, went to my management last week so they have started to get the ball rolling and have talks in place," Rockliff said. "We will get it sorted soon enough, I reckon, as long as the offer is right. "However long it takes, it takes. I'd love to stay in Brisbane but as I've said in the past, you never really know what the future holds in this industry.''

"We have looked at how to do things a bit better and we have had a few group gatherings. I hope they feel part of the club,'' he said. "It's up to you to embrace where you are living at the time. I've always had that approach since I've been in Brisbane. "There are no guarantees in the game. When the club says time's up, it's time up.'' Rockliff said the Demons had spoken to his management company last year. "It was enticing at the time to have a look at. Just the way it all panned out, the (Lions) club knocked it straight on the head and the best thing for me was to stay here,'' he said. "I never really had it on my hands.''

The Lions midfield ball-magnet had a pre-season setback when he suffered back soreness from a trans-Pacific flight and will not play in Brisbane's first NAB Challenge game against Hawthorn at Etihad Stadium on Thursday night. Rockliff said he hoped to get a pre-season hit-out in the second game of the series against Gold Coast on February 23 in Townsville.

358461-386ea2da-9084-11e3-836d-02ea2adb9f0a.jpg

On that article, I wouldn't think we would have any problems whatsoever "upgrading his contract" and to be fair, he deserves a decent increase too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still chuckle at Melbourne offering pick 2 for him. They could have had him for free in the 2008 PSD and took Liam Jurrah instead.
Really, everyone had the chance to get him for free yet overlooked him.

Was one I really liked the sound of from what I read when he was going into the draft and I was very surprised when he was overlooked by all the clubs. Turned out to be a huge bargain for Brisbane.

"It was enticing at the time to have a look at. Just the way it all panned out, the (Lions) club knocked it straight on the head and the best thing for me was to stay here,'' he said.
"I never really had it on my hands.''

Gee, after reading the above, he certainly didn't say, 'not a chance' when it came to that Melbourne trade last year. Not saying I am worried, but still not a nice thing to contemplate - Him looking at other offers that is. The way I am reading that quote is, Melbourne offered him a bucket load of cash and we didn't let it go past their first trade offer.

"It was enticing at the time to have a look at. Just the way it all panned out, the (Lions) club knocked it straight on the head and the best thing for me was to stay here,'' he said.
"I never really had it on my hands.''

Gee, after reading the above, he certainly didn't say, 'not a chance' when it came to that Melbourne trade last year. Not saying I am worried, but still not a nice thing to contemplate - Him looking at other offers that is. The way I am reading that quote is, Melbourne offered him a bucket load of cash and we didn't let it go past their first trade offer.

I think context is important and you never know the specific questions asked to elicit the response. I suspect he is just saying "yeah I'm not going to lie, Melbourne put some big dollars on the table but it never got to the stage where I had to weigh it up because the club knocked it on the head".

Combine that with him saying "never say never" (which every player out of contract will be instructed to say these days) and it reads worse than it is. He has to talk the contract game because he deserves more money. He will get it and he will stay with us. No worries about that.

Melbourne put an offer forward, im sure that offer was looked at, it always would be, his management company wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt take it to him. But it needed a trade to happen, and we werent going to do that under any conditions, so it made the offer pointless, no matter how good it was. With Black gone and Brown nearly out the door, Rocky is the next player in line for a juicy contract, and he will get it.

A full year in the midfield, he might go close to a Brownlow and could be one of the best mids in the comp by the end of the year. Could easily be our highest paid player in 2015.

Melbourne put an offer forward, im sure that offer was looked at, it always would be, his management company wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt take it to him. But it needed a trade to happen, and we werent going to do that under any conditions, so it made the offer pointless, no matter how good it was. With Black gone and Brown nearly out the door, Rocky is the next player in line for a juicy contract, and he will get it.

A full year in the midfield, he might go close to a Brownlow and could be one of the best mids in the comp by the end of the year. Could easily be our highest paid player in 2015.

Everyone knows there are a lot of dollars freeing up with Browny most likely not continuing (or if he does, it would be for the love and would likely have to do so on a massive pay cut) so he would be silly to say he would sign on the dotted line for whatever was offered at this point. Although the example Sauce set last year where he told the club to sign everyone else up first and he would take what was left over is something we would love to become a standard practice.

True, although Rocky is in a different pay league compared to Rog. I dont think there will be much fuss with Rocky signing, but considering his late season form and the likes of Brown disappearing, I would not be surprised if it isnt done until the end of the year. He has opened talks already, am im sure they will discuss length and ball park figures, but might wait until we know what we have left in the cap.

In saying that, we should have a pretty penny to spend this year. We were looking at 800k for Buddy, so we should have plenty to resign any players this year.

Yeah, you'd think Melbourne would have come to Rockliff's mgmt with a pretty juicy offer. Unfortunately that'll bump up his price for us a bit, but it's hard to begrudge that too much given how important he has become.

He also seems to be doing more PR stuff at the moment which will probably factor in contract negotiations.

No wonder the Melbourne offer was enticing. When one of the most respected figures in the AFL in Paul Roos comes to a new club, and one of his first moves is to make a concerted play for you, that's got to be pretty flattering for a boy from Benalla overlooked in the main draft just a few short years ago.

No doubt, Roos is no dummy, and the fact he chased rocky shows he isnt blind to the interstate clubs. I wonder if our chasing of Roos, and his research into our list might have steered him into rockys direction. I have no doubt Rocky will finish his career with a Brownlow medal.

We have more options up forward this year, should help keep him the midfield more as well. He was playing forward bexause the team needed it, now we need him in the middle. Could be a big season for rocky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back