Delisted 36. Tom Ruggles (2016-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Tom Ruggles to the GFC…

Nice to see him on the AFL list rather than a VFL listed player. Congratulation on the upgrade.

Last years VFL BNF winner….

GO Catters

"Tom Ruggles
Height: 185cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 25th April 1992
VFL Matches: 17
VFL Goals: 2
Recruited From: Leopold (GFL)
2014 Interchange Club: Leopold (GFL)

Profile:
After two seasons with Werribee Tigers, where he accumulated 17 VFL matches, Tom Ruggles returned to Leopold in 2014 and was a key factor in their successful campaign. He was an emerging leader of the Lions outfit that made it to the GFL Grand Final. The medium defender is a competitive beast on the field and was rewarded with 2014 GFL Team of the Year honours for his damaging role off half back. Ruggles will be key for the Cats in 2015 with his ability to run and create off the backline.

TomRuggles.jpg

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl/vfl-list

It caps off a triumphant first year at Simonds Stadium for Ruggles, who previously spent two seasons up the highway at Werribee where he made 17 senior and 31 Development League appearances after joining the Tigers from the Geelong Falcons.
The 23-year-old was the only Geelong player to line-up in all 18 games this season and averaged 17.5 possessions, 5.3 marks and 2.2 tackles a match.
He provided the Cats with plenty of rebound from defence to put himself back on the radar of AFL recruiters ahead of this year’s national drafts.
Ruggles was lured back to the VFL by Geelong after a terrific 2014 in the Geelong Football League for Leopold, where he was named on a half-back flank in the Team of the Year.
http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-no-struggle-for-ruggles/

Last edited:

I've been on the Ruggles band wagon this year. Thought he looked really good and a class above across half-back in VFL from all the games I saw this season. Has the attributes to become AFL standard IMO and hopefully can push for senior selection in 2016. (Correct me if I'm wrong) but with a smaller list next season we are able to promote a rookie at any time during the year so I think Ruggles would be first in line to earn a call up. Still only 23 and now moving into a proper AFL system has plenty of time to further improve.

Reminds me of Boris the way he plays, obviously has a very long way to go before he's even fit to shine Enright's shoes, but plenty of potential there. We need to strengthen up our back line going forward and I think he could play a role in the future if he's able to step up and take his chance. Great pickup IMO!

"Tom Ruggles
Height: 188cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 10th October 1988
Recruited From: Central Districts (SANFL)
Interchange Club: St Joseph’s (GFL)

Profile:
An Anglesea junior footballer, Ryan Williams came through the Geelong Falcons before being drafted to Port Adelaide in the 2006 AFL National Draft. He played two senior games for the Power but was delisted at end of 2008 season. Williams then went on to forge a distinguished SANFL career with Central Districts which included three SANFL premierships in 2008, 2009 and 2010. He was runner up in 2014 Central Districts Best & Fairest after a solid year. Williams is strongly built and will bring leadership and experience to the Cats’ midfield."

RyanWilliams.jpg

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl/vfl-list

It caps off a triumphant first year at Simonds Stadium for Ruggles, who previously spent two seasons up the highway at Werribee where he made 17 senior and 31 Development League appearances after joining the Tigers from the Geelong Falcons.
The 23-year-old was the only Geelong player to line-up in all 18 games this season and averaged 17.5 possessions, 5.3 marks and 2.2 tackles a match.
He provided the Cats with plenty of rebound from defence to put himself back on the radar of AFL recruiters ahead of this year’s national drafts.
Ruggles was lured back to the VFL by Geelong after a terrific 2014 in the Geelong Football League for Leopold, where he was named on a half-back flank in the Team of the Year.
http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-no-struggle-for-ruggles/

The first half of that is about Ryan Williams?

459058c2a1cfb46e1eca19585d0ff58c

"FOUR nights a week, after a day’s work, Tom Ruggles heads down to Simonds Stadium to start his second fulltime job.

By day he is a landscaper, by night he is young man driven to become an AFL player.

“That’s the main reason why I came back into the VFL system — I wanted to see if I could take the next step,” Ruggles, 23, said."
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...p/news-story/93f06cbc3f0b718a051b2bec487d9a3f

Ruggles_main_620X370.jpg

I've been on the Ruggles band wagon this year. Thought he looked really good and a class above across half-back in VFL from all the games I saw this season. Has the attributes to become AFL standard IMO and hopefully can push for senior selection in 2016. (Correct me if I'm wrong) but with a smaller list next season we are able to promote a rookie at any time during the year so I think Ruggles would be first in line to earn a call up. Still only 23 and now moving into a proper AFL system has plenty of time to further improve.

Reminds me of Boris the way he plays, obviously has a very long way to go before he's even fit to shine Enright's shoes, but plenty of potential there. We need to strengthen up our back line going forward and I think he could play a role in the future if he's able to step up and take his chance. Great pickup IMO!
I've been on the Ruggles bandwagon this season as well!
*happy dance*
Can also see glimpses of Enright, too, Waxies - rebounding defender, is that what you see?

The first half of that is about Ryan Williams?
Yeah, I caught that + was changing it, while you were posting it. Damn iPad was jumping around :mad: But thanks for letting me know :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Last edited:
I've been on the Ruggles bandwagon this season as well!
*happy dance*
Can also see glimpses of Enright, too, Waxies - rebounding defender, is that what you see?
Rebound defender for sure. Cool head, makes the right decisions, positions himself well in defense and his intercept marking was one of his strengths that stood out. He's also hard at it too. All the traits that made Boris such a good player.

Rebound defender for sure. Cool head, makes the right decisions, positions himself well in defense and his intercept marking was one of his strengths that stood out. He's also hard at it too. All the traits that made Boris such a good player.
This is what the club needs a mid-sized rebounding defender. I haven't watched much of him, but if he's a rebounding type, strong in the air and is competitive then this is good. Does anyone know what he is like setting up play? is his kicking elite? and does he work hard to spread and carry?

I have a feeling he will give bews a good run for his money in small defender pos.... Has real potential IMO and not convinced on bews being a legit afl player to be honest .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! A Boris clone? *yay*

I love a good intercept mark!

Can't wait to see Ruggles play again - hoping some VFL games will be televised next season, so I can see Ruggles + the other brand new kittens play!

New article from the Addy -

829283e1356fbe46fa00221badd4a9d5

"He was named in Geelong’s best in 10 of its 18 games this year, playing against AFL-listed players.

“I didn’t want to die wondering,” Ruggles told the Geelong Advertiser in the lead-up to the national draft."

image.jpg

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/d0eb3395d6f7c2488d28c00e8ff13315

This is what the club needs a mid-sized rebounding defender. I haven't watched much of him, but if he's a rebounding type, strong in the air and is competitive then this is good. Does anyone know what he is like setting up play? is his kicking elite? and does he work hard to spread and carry?
Read my post, which mentions a little of what you're asking -
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ng-football-club.1118408/reply?quote=42134671

Ruggles playing with + learning from Enright, will be amazing for his development!

When do the brand new Kittens from Tuesday + today arrive at KP? I can't wait to see them in the Hoops + at training!

Short highlights vid from the GFC website. Not a bad little clip actually, some strong intercept marks and good to see him able to link up and push forward. :thumbsu:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-11-27/tom-ruggles-highlights

Also a break from tradition... normally we kick out our VEL B&F winner... This year we are welcoming one in!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back