Tommy Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

congrats you have just signed a beast of a man and a brilliant footballer. looking forward to his progress. without any doubt the best talent to try aussie rules from here. be very excited saint kilda supporters.
ps..prob only setanta will understand his accent :D

I love the first 8 seconds, the fend off...the unnecessary (but so is) bump to his opponent.

And also the last bit about the speculation of him joining an AFL team...hehehe.

A bit of a mis-information from Mikey Sheemy: Mike Sheehan; and the ability to kick points in the final: he will fit into our forward line beautifly.

Ha ha, looks a good risk anyway.

Considering he's taller than Roo, I can't see him being a 'medium' or 'third tall' forward. :p

Obviously, he won't have the aerial capacity of Roo or Kosi. The style of play he will play might lend itself to him being described as a medium forward. Fast, Agile, good size (but not a great contested mark), good tank etc etc

congrats you have just signed a beast of a man and a brilliant footballer. looking forward to his progress. without any doubt the best talent to try aussie rules from here. be very excited saint kilda supporters.
ps..prob only setanta will understand his accent :D

A few of us here were wondering if Colm Begley would remain on our list into 2010. Maybe we should keep him as translator.:D

Ivan_Drago_tif_big.jpg

Not enough Dolphy Lundgren love on here.

Clubs queue up for Irish players

October 23, 2009

PLAYER agent Ricky Nixon says five clubs are interested in trialling this year's Gaelic football player of the year Michael Murphy, who Nixon is bringing to Melbourne next month.
County Donegal star Murphy is wanted for trial by the Brisbane Lions, Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/clubs-queue-up-for-irish-players/2009/10/22/1256147842212.html

Joy. Makes it 3, clearly we're not liking the look of this years draft.

what blows me away is his speed and ability to play on and break the lines, and he is a big boy. even if his skills never get up to a high standard, his could still cause havoc in the forward line. would be hard to match up on as he is quick and strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In our game now, there are a lot of really well-developed kids coming through. Really big guys at 18/19. I think ultimately where AFL clubs will find the most success is in converting these players, that would be midfielders in gaelic football, into key position players. The reason I say that is because, just as in midfield in your game, they have to have an engine to cover a lot of ground and help attack and defend. They also need good hands to contest kick-outs in the air. The real difference is that when they catch the ball they have to play on as there is no mark. This means they need to be agile and quick-thinking. Winning possession is only half the battle. There is another young guy, Aiden O'Shea, from Mayo that made his senior debut this year. Think he might have just turned 19 and he's a monster. Bear in mind as well that these players that have already made their senior debuts are used to playing pressure games in front of big crowds.

Is Tommy the most highly credentialed player to make the move to Australia as has been reported?

Is it fair to say his progress will be followed more in Ireland than any other player that moves to Australia?

I don't think I've been as excited about a new player since Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Goddard which is going back to 2000 and 2003 drafts.

He would definitely be the biggest name so far.
He's an established elite senior player who has won numerous personal accolades as well as All-Ireland titles.

Is Tommy the most highly credentialed player to make the move to Australia as has been reported?

Is it fair to say his progress will be followed more in Ireland than any other player that moves to Australia?

I don't think I've been as excited about a new player since Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Goddard which is going back to 2000 and 2003 drafts.

He is by far the highest-profile Gaelic footballer to have made the switch so far, yes. Most of the others were talented underage players, he has already had two good seasons of senior football.

what blows me away is his speed and ability to play on and break the lines, .

You have to remember that you can't tackle AFL-style in Gaelic football, so if you watch the videos and see him going past a defender, he is not breaking tackles but going past backs who are trying to bump / shoulder / spoil. But definitely an exciting recruit for St Kilda as he is easily the highest-profile Gaelic footballer so far to have signed for an AFL team.

He would definitely be the biggest name so far.
He's an established elite senior player who has won numerous personal accolades as well as All-Ireland titles.

I'd argue it would have been Santy O hAilpin.
But of the last few years, Walsh is deffinetly up there at the top. No one else even comes to the near I'd say.

You have to remember that you can't tackle AFL-style in Gaelic football, so if you watch the videos and see him going past a defender, he is not breaking tackles but going past backs who are trying to bump / shoulder / spoil. But definitely an exciting recruit for St Kilda as he is easily the highest-profile Gaelic footballer so far to have signed for an AFL team.

Ah come on, there's been a few tackles on him in the past, just attempts by desperate defenders to bring him down anyway possible :D:D.

Nope. Setanta Ó hAilpín was known as a hurler not a footballer. The question was about Gaelic footballers not hurlers.

Ya, I gather that (ffs) but he was a bigger move then Walsh.
You can't really put them in seperate cattorgries an Irish import is an Irish import. I mean there was only one hurler (well 2) over there.

Fair enough I would say that. I suppose that his talent was so untapped while Walsh has been around for a good while. We saw a good chunk of Walsh's talent, but with young Santy it was just, when he got the sliotar he caused people to get out of their seat, he cause such a panic in any defence, it was incredible, watching him made the hair on the back of your net stand up.
And to have his name be Setanta O hAilpin like, how quickly he went from being Sean Og's younger brother to being Santy O hAilpin, it was incredible, he reached cult status after just one season. He would, if he was still around, have held the key for Cork winning a final or two we lost, especially after Corcoran retired.

I suppose there Walsh was to Kerry to what Santy was to Cork, but still Santy had something special about him that we never really got to see, not near enough.

Thanks for the responses from our friends in Ireland. The more I see and hear about him the more excited I get. I can't wait to get down to Trevor Barker Oval and watch some early season VFL games.

Now, onto a different topic. If I delete posts from trolls I'm also obliged to delete the responses as well. Sorry StFly, I know you put a bit of effort into yours. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back