Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we're all essentially saying versions of the same thing.

I understand the rationale for it, but in my view Beveridge needs to stop trying to protect our mids and their perceived lack of outside pace.

He could do it in any number of ways but first amongst them should be...

Get a change in coaching philosophy. Doing as you guys note essentially the same thing over and over sure aint working.

Consign the great hope of 2023 where we started the year with as many as 8 195cm players in the team to the dustbin of history. I honestly believe that he played Bruce as a KPD not because we needed to but out of a misguided sense of loyalty to somebody he was very close to.

Settle guys into roles. Work out where Daniel, Williams, Smith, Treloar and Macrae fit first. Then work around that.

Either back them and let them play to their strengths by not always bringing extras up to the stoppage. It, like the handball happy nature of our side especially when under pressure only seems to make things worse. It just stifles freedom of movement as we play games of hot potato waiting for the tackle or turnover to happen. I suspect that if we move away from the played out game plan and move the ball quicker and directly then I'd be able to put away my meme about us being one paced through the middle. It's amazing how quick a side can look if they're moving the ball efficiently and with speed on it. I know this because we actually do this for periods of most games. Its something that commentators always pick up on when we play well for those 20 minutes of a game before invariably regressing to type when the pressure comes.

Display some creativity take a risk and roll guys like Dale, Richards and JJ through the middle of the ground/wings for period of the game. If for no other reason than to give the opposing coaches something to think about.

Rolling the likes of Baker or Poulter through there is only going to focus their attention on shutting down our real offensive weapons.

Install me as head of football.

Win premiership.

Easy Peasy.
Please email this to the club. Perfect summation of what what we should do

Agree. I don’t think we get it done.
We could offer 10, 17 and 36 and have them send back some of their late picks.
36 would go to Croft anyway and even if gold coasts gave us 3 fourth rounders, they'll come in a fair bit before the Croft bid.
Wouldn't want to trade out of next year's draft.
To be honest, depending on what happens with the McKay compo and Sanders is prefer to use 10 and trade 17 for a future pick

He has lost a lot of the ability need to play inside.

I'm not sure about that.
It was him and West in the middle with Lobb when they really got on top of Geelong in the 3rd quarter the other week. Fed the ball out to Bont and West a number of times.
Granted, he didn't kick it much as he doesn't exactly explode out of contests, but he can definitely still get in and under. Also a very strong tackler.

Personally would be my go to player to lock someone down, while still being able to get meaningful possessions in the middle (if by some sort of magic the coaches start to value that type of player again).

I'm not sure about that.
It was him and West in the middle with Lobb when they really got on top of Geelong in the 3rd quarter the other week. Fed the ball out to Bont and West a number of times.
Granted, he didn't kick it much as he doesn't exactly explode out of contests, but he can definitely still get in and under. Also a very strong tackler.

Personally would be my go to player to lock someone down, while still being able to get meaningful possessions in the middle (if by some sort of magic the coaches start to value that type of player again).

My phone had actually autocorrected, I meant to say agility and not ability. Which I do stand by, he has lost a lot of that sidestep to get through at AFL level. He was never actually that quick so I don't think his ACL's impacted him in that way, instead it's the ability to prop and step.

He’s a Naughton or Jamarra injury away from playing every week. Also might still hold hopes of cracking in as a 3rd tall defender, although you’d have to think Buss has gone past him. I’d be happy to carry him on the list for a few years even just as injury cover, much like a capable backup 2nd ruck.
Sam Darcy would get games before him, if Sam is fit.

Can we trade English for pick 1?
Would be an incredibly dumb move by West Coast, especially now that Williams has improved out of sight. I don’t think he’ll be as good as English, but good enough to be a premiership ruckman for their next flag

We can, but doubtful West Coast would. It also sounds like Naughton might be leaning to staying in Vic depending where his girlfriend ends up.
We’ve spent years developing him to a first choice ruck, lamenting years where we had very little else and he wasn’t delivering. Now that he is AA there is Absolutely zero chance we trade him.

Just my opinion, but Astro seems committed to the club now. Would be a surprise to see him leave.
Not sure why anyone would assume Naughts is not committed to the club.

Though there are some arguable issues with Naughton forward he is a player you would certainly get on a long term contract and pay well.

Whether he reaches the top echelon or not he is a very good player who gives 100% all of the time. Hopefully we can find the role for him to become a top 10 player in the comp but is already I'm the top 100

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's nuts that St Kilda fans are willing to ship off Dougal Howard to fit Zaine Cordy in their defence.

Cordy only played one good game this year against a cellar dweller in Norf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reported money for Ratugolea is ridiculous. But...

Every single year, we raise KPDs we should be after, then shy away once we learn the contract demands. This year it's Sav/McKay, previous years it's been guys like Lever, Corr (who, granted, ended up mediocre as *), Battle...

At some point, you have to sit back and wonder whether, in a league that is currently highly prioritising offence, is this just the value of young, solid KPDs? Do we have to think about restructuring our cap management strategy to accommodate this? Or do we just need to be more willing to invest the $$$?

I dunno the answer here, but jeez it's frustrating to be approaching yet another off-season where all the notable players in positions of need are linked to other clubs and we're staring down the barrel of re-signing Tim O'Brien and maybe picking up another reject.
This is why if Murphy or O'Sullivan land on our laps, we have to take one.

The market value of defenders is sky high, and that is just for mid tier massively overrated types. If you want a defender without giving up the farm, draft and develop your own. At worst (assuming they make it at AFL level), he might get traded out and you get decent picks for them. At best you could land yourself a good best 22 defender.

Ignore the draft and you desperately need a defender? Face having to over pay or be stuck with only fringe players on the market.

Last edited:
Are we linked to anyone yet? Haven’t seen anything in the media
Nothing of recent. Henry was old news, some people mentioned Lohman. The talk from circles is the club wants to focus on the draft, so we may not make a move at all on the trade and free agency front. Maybe one. Might have to get the ITK posters on here to dig a little.

Pretty much narrows it down to 2 of McLean, Roarke, McComb, McNeil
McComb and Roarke would be my likely picks from that quartet. Roarke has had his time and McComb just isn't going to make the grade. McLean probably requested trade could see him being a role player at another club. Can't see the club moving on McNeil

Don’t think #10 and #17 gets it done. They’ll demand #10 and F1.
We don't give up 1st Rnd picks not a future 1st in particular. Could see it being 10 & 17 and future 2nd but our future 1st. So may not be able to get any higher in the draft

Hit the draft, get young Croft, may be trade in 1 player to address a specific need (no flexibility mantra), find a developing ruck (Sweet won’t be a kennel next year)

AND START TO DEVELOP OUR OWN PLAYERS THEIR IS SOME TALENT THAT NEEDS TO BE TAPPED INTO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back