Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

On B.Smith.. is my understanding correct, rules say cats can’t trade their 2023 1st without securing a 2023 2nd and 3rd. Their first pick would be 81 if they did.
That leaves next years 1st which could be anywhere and what else?
I’d take Holmes and F1.
Correct

Esava Ratugolea would be able to net them that future second and third

Esava Ratugolea would be able to net them that future second and third

How? He’s crap and injury prone

What’s the commercial risk? Not like we are getting any of that Cotton On, Monster Energy or Kings Domain money. If anything his commercial value to the club has nose dived (no pun intended) the last two years.

The extra publicity that comes with a high profile player, additional club sponsorship money as a by-product of that and getting more fans and possibly members on board doesn’t hurt at all. Basically losing all of that would

One of their academy kids is in the top 10. They would be negligent not to trade their first pick out as they have multiple academy kids they want in the door.

If pick 42 coming back to us is too much, they could do pick 47 or something even lower. It doesn't prevent us getting Croft (within reason).
They would want more for pick 4 (I suspect it will become a bidding war) - and they feasibly have 3 kids who will go in the top 15 this year.

Personally I'd take Walter at pick 1, and I wouldn't pick Ethan Read in the first round, but it seems he has his fans

The reason Baz isn't requesting a trade is because no one is willing to offer 2x first-round picks for him. His management doesn't another Dunkley situation where they request a trade and it doesn't go through.
2 late firsts Vs pick 7+ and something is different.

Just as an FYI guys, the very most we would be able to trade would be our Future 1st and our Current 1st (2 Top 10 picks), with the Brisbane 1st coming back to us - due to the '2 in 4 rule.'
TBH if Baz is determined to go then 7+ and a first round pick upgrade is reasonable.

Pick 7 and a Future 2nd (25), would be essentially the same or a bit more as the 16 and 20 you got for Dunkley coming off a B+F year.

No idea how it will play out, and wouldn't be surprised at all if he just stays and we revisit this next year, but does seem like most are in the same realm of value - at least as a starting point.

Again if Baz is determined to go then 7+ and a second is reasonable too.

Personally I hope he stays with us though.

I had this thought yesterday afternoon when I was watching Hunter play well against Sydney.

Why did Hunter "have to go?" What was so unworkable at our club that is apparently acceptable at Melbourne?
This is what I have been banging on about since Stringer was traded.

We have a s**t culture if it can't withstand some idiots.

Idiots who by all reports still seem to show up to training, play well on field and are professional in all matters relating to the club and its commitments.

Everyone doesn't have to be best mates. Just play in the same side. I'm sick of losing talent because they're not choir boys.

Last edited:
Not sure how he behaved inside the club, but Lachie has long been known for heavy gambling, heavy drinking, lots of illicit drugs, and carrying a vape around with him in my extended social circle - not exactly behaviours you'd want from a senior player around a fairly young, impressionable list. (know for a fact the club told certain younger players to consider how much time they were spending with him off field)

Is he the psychopath some on here have made him out to be? No. But having to deal with these behaviours for an extended period of time, balanced with his on field form taking a dive last year, it's not hard to understand why the club figured enough was enough and it was time to cut the cord.

That being said, I'm happy to see he looks a lot fitter, and haven't really heard any rumours of him misbehaving off field recently. Zaine's a similar one (not to the same extent, but was known as one of our more unprofessional types) who seems to have cleaned up his act recently
I’m happy he’s fitter and playing well.

You’re happy he’s fitter and playing well.

But nobody is happier than Melbourne that he’s fitter and playing well.

Why was it that we couldn’t we make it work for a bloke who was named as vice captain a few years ago, but a team who we were competing with for a flag 2 years ago have opened their arms to him and are now benefiting?

Why are our “last chances” happily received by other clubs?

This is what I have been banging on about since Stringer was traded.

We have a s**t culture if it can't withstanding some idiots.

Idiots who by all reports still seem to show up to training, play well on field and are professional in all matters relating to the club and its commitments.

Everyone doesn't have to be best mates. Just play in the same side. I'm sick of losing talent because they're not choir boys.
You make a good point. The same does apply to Stringer.

I’m no fan of Stringer… far from it. But the same thing does apply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An hour down the highway though to a one town team that owns the town? He's going to cop it there as well
Most Geelong players live on the coast, not in Geelong

You make a good point. The same does apply to Stringer.

I’m no fan of Stringer… far from it. But the same thing does apply.
I'd say Stringer would be the exception to the rule. It isn't a new thing. Lake was before Beveridge and was a similar thing.

We need to cut hard this off season and be open to letting some guys go we need a mini reset, without dipping on the ladder.

Bruce has already retired.
Duryea is cooked let him retire.
Need to let crozier, McLean, O’Brien and Hannan go.
Roarke smith - let him go couldn’t get on the park.
Bendendo - sign for 1 year, young potential and had an injury interrupted year worth another chance.
McComb - go never again.
Williams - 2 year average contract or he can try to get better elsewhere.
McNiel - not the worst as a rookie for 1 more year.
Sweet - would keep but likely to go.
Khamis - would only keep if he moves back
Poulter - 1-2 year contract has potential
Raak - keep 1 year.

That’s at least 9 out.

Trade our firsts to move up the order to get a pick in before Croft and get a top end talent in.

We need to find a second KPD, keath and Gardner aren’t it and not sure buss will be ready to play week in week our next year. JOD is a good third tall.

We need a winger or to move a smith or treloar out to a wing permanently.

We need a small forward with speed and tackling pressure and goal nous.

We need some more midfielders younger with speed and clean skills

Like the assessment and probably similar to mine and add OBrien however where do they get 9 capable players to replace them in one draft / trade period ?

Because of the way our list has been managed we have too many players not capable at the level, to be honest you can include role players like Anthony Scott and Garcia who have contracts which fall into the same boat. These players are really fill in, not regulars.

To be honest it is 2 or 3 years of deep cuts say 6 off list instead of your typical 3 or 4. Not counting the players who opt out like Dunkley (or Smith) or pushed like Hunter or Stringer.

I think we are in mini rebuild mode not to say the rebound can be quick like Port have done if you are aggressive and savvy

I'd say Stringer would be the exception to the rule. It isn't a new thing. Lake was before Beveridge and was a similar thing.
Lake was not a similar thing.
Lake was seen as cooked not moved on because of behavioural issues.

This has only been a significant issue with the current administration.

Do you think we as a club would have kept Degoey? Or Dustin Martin for that matter? They both would've been shipped out for "cultural" reasons.

Did the boys have mad Monday today? Looks like baz was at the local oval kicking the footy based off his insta story and not getting stuck into the sherberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back