Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd actually be happy with the period if/once we add Bramble.

Defensive/hard nosed midfielder with proven runs on the board for peanuts.

A solid medium defender in Coffield who has massive upside for chump change.

Pick 4 or whatever it is. We did overpay imo but it's ballsy.

Croft

2 late picks.

Small running defender who can run and bounce. Hopefully he can lock down.

Off field appointments are good.

I'm feeling good so far.

Small running defender who can run and bounce. Hopefully he can lock down.
I didn't know a lot about Bramble so I took a glance at the Hawks board - seems there is a feel that he isn't a defender at all, and is best suited up forward. Terrible kick under no pressure seems to be the vibe over there.

I like having the 3 developing but for mine Keath & Gardner aren't options anymore.

Neither should be on the list next year (I know this ain't changing) - were so bad this year.

Cross everything Jones can stay fit & JOD has a huge pre-season & can hold the for this year.
They are purely cheap back ups in case of injury. Players like that are needed to do a role just I'm case.

Can be pretty important too, do we remember Fletcher Roberts coming in during the 16 finals series

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't know a lot about Bramble so I took a glance at the Hawks board - seems there is a feel that he isn't a defender at all, and is best suited up forward. Terrible kick under no pressure seems to be the vibe over there.

Had enough of those thanks.

Both Darcy and Croft are tall enough to ruck and provide backup for English. Not sure if that’s been done before though. Dustin Fletcher was a tall back but never rucked from memory.

Darcy's ruck craft has been really good when he has played ruck at VFL level. It isn't just him outreaching but also knowing how to use his body. I think by the time he's ready to carry ruck English would probably play more minutes up forward.

Croft has also played some stints in the ruck, not full time for a game but for a couple of stints. I'd be happy to essentially break the field up into a couple of sectors and have Croft rucking deep, English for the HB line and midfield and Darcy in the forward half.

I remember when I suggested that Crofts future was going to be as a CHB.

It wasn't at all well received.

Happy_5.gif.3e829295ed3b8d59848b1233be7de068.gif

I remember when I suggested that Crofts future was going to be as a CHB.

It wasn't at all well received.

Happy_5.gif.3e829295ed3b8d59848b1233be7de068.gif
I think most on here agreed that it would be best for Croft to be developed as a defender.

His best position is wing. Hawks never really gave him a run there and tried to turn him into a defender. His biggest strengths are endurance and a long, penetrating kick. He's at his best when he receives the ball out on the wing and he can clear the defence with a booming kick to the forwards who are running back towards goal. He'd at least be as good on a wing as Baker/Poulter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well hawks fans would know but he turned the game for Box Hill in the final against us with his run and carry.

He'll improve our bottom 6 players at worst imo.

Has a mid season trade period been locked in? The more I think about it I'm not actually keen on it. Developing a balanced and flexible list that can withstand the swings of a season is part of the game/strategies and clubs have spent years working on it.

Bit like how suddenly ditching 3rd man up hurt us as we hadn't invested in rucks. Set us back years imo.

Has a mid season trade period been locked in? The more I think about it I'm not actually keen on it. Developing a balanced and flexible list that can withstand the swings of a season is part of the game/strategies and clubs have spent years working on it.

Bit like how suddenly ditching 3rd man up hurt us as we hadn't invested in rucks. Set us back years imo.
I have a natural distaste for it because I agree with what you say - the challenge is setting your team up preseason for whatever happens. But it could help lower teams out through teams higher up selling the farm for what they see as the final piece.

Croft being earmarked for a defensive role should surely surprise absolutely no one given our existing list make-up.
True, but if we were to say lose JUH and Darcy wasn’t working as a forward he might find his was back to the forward line soon enough.

Good to have options, and a number of them could play multiple positions.

I have a natural distaste for it because I agree with what you say - the challenge is setting your team up preseason for whatever happens. But it could help lower teams out through teams higher up selling the farm for what they see as the final piece.
My issue with it is it's pointless,

Their big example all year was "Look at Jordon Sweet in the 2s every week for the dogs they could trade him to a team like Port who need a ruckman"

Why would we trade our only back up ruckman who we'd then be fcuked if English got injured to a team we are in theory battling with for a spot in the finals? Unless they'd magically offer up ridiculous overs which no team ever will I can't see it being used much at all

My issue with it is it's pointless,

Their big example all year was "Look at Jordon Sweet in the 2s every week for the dogs they could trade him to a team like Port who need a ruckman"

Why would we trade our only back up ruckman who we'd then be fcuked if English got injured to a team we are in theory battling with for a spot in the finals? Unless they'd magically offer up ridiculous overs which no team ever will I can't see it being used much at all
It would be more for someone like Todd Goldstien who wasn't getting games at North who didn't care about winning anyway.
It's a good opportunity for older players at rebuilding clubs to get a final chance at a premiership.

The issue is how the salary cap is managed when a player switches mid year.

It would be more for someone like Todd Goldstien who wasn't getting games at North who didn't care about winning anyway.
It's a good opportunity for older players at rebuilding clubs to get a final chance at a premiership.

The issue is how the salary cap is managed when a player switches mid year.
Isn’t it just a percentage based on how long the player was on the list for that season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back