Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones & O’Donnell are locks, Keath inconsistent and injury/concussion concerns and you can say the same for Gardner. Outside that we only have untried Buss, who will still need a bit longer. Could easily be a Keath concussion and another injury away from a disaster like having Lobb playing KPD again

Naughton is stuck with us for 8 years now. No probs sending him back if we need to now, preference or otherwise 😆

I’m quite confused by the delistings, we have cut 9, traded in 2 and will draft a 1st rounder and Croft and perhaps a 3rd round?, leaving 4 more spots remaining? Will we start the season with 4 less players on the list than this year?

I’m quite confused by the delistings, we have cut 9, traded in 2 and will draft a 1st rounder and Croft and perhaps a 3rd round?, leaving 4 more spots remaining? Will we start the season with 4 less players on the list than this year?
Probably pick 2 third rounders redraft Duryea and McNeil, and leave a spot mid season draft and maybe a DFA ruckman maybe (im not too good with the list spots , just guessing

Probably pick 2 third rounders redraft Duryea and McNeil, and leave a spot mid season draft and maybe a DFA ruckman maybe (im not too good with the list spots , just guessing
We'll take a couple in the rookie draft too (McNeil and Duryea not included in the 9 out).

We clearly aren’t starting the year with 4 less players.

2 already traded in, 3-4 draftees, Scott, DFA, Duryea/McNeil, open list spot for a mid-season draftee. JOD might be moving to the main list?

There’s loads of ways to fill the remaining spots.

We clearly aren’t starting the year with 4 less players.

2 already traded in, 3-4 draftees, Scott, DFA, Duryea/McNeil, open list spot for a mid-season draftee. JOD might be moving to the main list?

There’s loads of ways to fill the remaining spots.
Shifting players between Rookie, Cat b and main list will still leave us less than this year. I didn’t think we would be taking 3rd and fourth rounders in a shallow draft but it looks like we will. Might take two DFA’s to get us to 8 players in and leave a spot for mid season open like last year.

Having a big turn over of a list in a supposed shallow draft year. Might be a few DFAs and mature agers incoming
A couple of rookie upgrades I'd imagine.
I actually don't mind taking a late pick or two at the draft. Rucks/small forwards/small defenders can still be found late.

I hope we keep one rookie list spot free for either the PSS period or the MSD.

Shifting players between Rookie, Cat b and main list will still leave us less than this year. I didn’t think we would be taking 3rd and fourth rounders in a shallow draft but it looks like we will. Might take two DFA’s to get us to 8 players in and leave a spot for mid season open like last year.
It definitely takes us up to where we need to be. 2 traded in players, 4 draftees, Scott upgrade, one DFA and one open list spot is 9.

You don't think the club is prepared and is just willy nilly delisting players without any formulated plan?

Currently 31 main list, 3 Cat A, 1 Cat B.

We are upgrading Scott, so this becomes: 32 main list, 2 Cat A, 1 Cat B.

Can have 44 in total: 36-38 main list, 6-8 rookies (including Cat B).

So 4-6 main list, 3-5 rookies to be added.

I suspect we run with the following:

Main List: add 6 (to 38)
  • Four draft picks: pick 5, Croft, 2x third rounders
  • One DFA: Bramble (I'm trusting you here ScragCity don't let me down)
  • One PSD: Duryea
Rookie List: add 2 (to 5)
  • Re-rookie McNeil
  • Rookie pick x1
And then leave one list spot open for SSP/MSD.

If needing to preserve cap, Bramble/Duryea could be rookied instead.

Currently 31 main list, 3 Cat A, 1 Cat B.

We are upgrading Scott, so this becomes: 32 main list, 2 Cat A, 1 Cat B.

Can have 44 in total: 36-38 main list, 6-8 rookies (including Cat B).

So 4-6 main list, 3-5 rookies to be added.

I suspect we run with the following:

Main List: add 6 (to 38)
  • Four draft picks: pick 5, Croft, 2x third rounders
  • One DFA: Bramble (I'm trusting you here ScragCity don't let me down)
  • One PSD: Duryea
Rookie List: add 2 (to 5)
  • Re-rookie McNeil
  • Rookie pick x1
And then leave one list spot open for SSP/MSD.

If needing to preserve cap, Bramble/Duryea could be rookied instead.
I expect how many picks we take in the national draft depends on who is still available. Could still be as low as 2 or as many as 4 if Lual and others of interest are still on the board.
I'm fairly confident Teakle will be on the list next year, if not we will definitely pick a mature ruck from somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect how many picks we take in the national draft depends on who is still available. Could still be as low as 2 or as many as 4 if Lual and others of interest are still on the board.
I'm fairly confident Teakle will be on the list next year, if not we will definitely pick a mature ruck from somewhere.
I partly agree - I think this is why Duryea and McNeil haven't been locked into being taken in either draft. If the draft turns out better than we expect, both will be rookied. If it's worse than expected (e.g., early bid on Croft, players of interest taken), we just take both in the ND/PSD and move on.

So I suspect we have an idea of how many players we want to add to the main list, but that could include one or both of Doc/McNeil.

My final first round Phantom.
1. Eagles - Harley Reid
2. Suns - Jed Walter (Match)
3. Roos - Colby McKercher
4. Roos - Zane Duursma
5. Hawks - Nick Watson
6. Dogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melb - Daniel Curtin
8. Suns - Ethan Read (Match)
9. GWS - Nate Caddy
10. Cats - Connor O'Sullivan
11. Ess - Caleb Windsor
12. Crows - Ollie Murphy
13. Melb - James Leake
14. Dogs - Jordan Croft (Match)
15. Suns - Jake Rogers (Match)
16. Swans - Darcy Wilson
17. Saints - Harry De Mattia
18. Hawks - Will McCabe (Match)
19. Crows - Charlie Edwards
20. Roos - Lance Collard
21. Swans - Caiden Cleary (Match)
22. GWS - Riley Hardeman
23. Roos - Archer Reid
24. Roos - Arie Shoenmaker
25. Pies - Koltyn Tholstrup
26. Crows - Joel Friejah
27. Saints - Zane Zakostelsky
28. Blues - Tew Jiath

He'll go closer to 11 than 23.
Yes unfortunately I agree with you. It's just something we could hope for!

Probably no big impact as things stand anyway, because our third rounders are all clustered together. So if we do have to use the first three we've got another one just behind it.

My final first round Phantom.
1. Eagles - Harley Reid
2. Suns - Jed Walter (Match)
3. Roos - Colby McKercher
4. Roos - Zane Duursma
5. Hawks - Nick Watson
6. Dogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melb - Daniel Curtin
8. Suns - Ethan Read (Match)
9. GWS - Nate Caddy
10. Cats - Connor O'Sullivan
11. Ess - Caleb Windsor
12. Crows - Ollie Murphy
13. Melb - James Leake
14. Dogs - Jordan Croft (Match)
15. Suns - Jake Rogers (Match)
16. Swans - Darcy Wilson
17. Saints - Harry De Mattia
18. Hawks - Will McCabe (Match)
19. Crows - Charlie Edwards
20. Roos - Lance Collard
21. Swans - Caiden Cleary (Match)
22. GWS - Riley Hardeman
23. Roos - Archer Reid
24. Roos - Arie Shoenmaker
25. Pies - Koltyn Tholstrup
26. Crows - Joel Friejah
27. Saints - Zane Zakostelsky
28. Blues - Tew Jiath
Damn swans playing funny buggers again but that would be a lot better than Essendon bidding at 11.

We have generally been critical of the club, with some justification, in recent years for not cutting deep enough into the list.

It would be hard to say that Sam Power hasn't been ruthless enough over the past 2 seasons however.

If you look at our list as at September 2022, there are 17 names now gone.

Close to 40% of the entire list gone in just over 12 months.

Of those, we wanted to keep Dunkley and, to a lesser degree, Sweet, but the others were basically our choice.

We have generally been critical of the club, with some justification, in recent years for not cutting deep enough into the list.

It would be hard to say that Sam Power hasn't been ruthless enough over the past 2 seasons however.

If you look at our list as at September 2022, there are 17 names now gone.

Close to 40% of the entire list gone in just over 12 months.

Of those, we wanted to keep Dunkley and, to a lesser degree, Sweet, but the others were basically our choice.
I do agree, and I'm glad to see us move on players when it is their time, but the devil's advocate argument is that almost none of them were particularly controversial and it is concerning that that many players have turned into deadweight, either through poor talent identification or poor development.

I do agree, and I'm glad to see us move on players when it is their time, but the devil's advocate argument is that almost none of them were particularly controversial and it is concerning that that many players have turned into deadweight, either through poor talent identification or poor development.
Agreed. I can’t see any situation where we regret or miss a single player we’ve moved on. A lot deadwood needed to be moved on and 4-5 of these guys should’ve been gone in a previous season.

Agreed - some of the delistings this year should have happened last year, preventing us from blooding replacements and then turning over more dead wood as needed.

I am glad it’s finally happening, but it’s a shame we didn’t head down this path when it was obviously needed much earlier.

Agreed. I can’t see any situation where we regret or miss a single player we’ve moved on. A lot deadwood needed to be moved on and 4-5 of these guys should’ve been gone in a previous season.

Agreed - some of the delistings this year should have happened last year, preventing us from blooding replacements and then turning over more dead wood as needed.

I am glad it’s finally happening, but it’s a shame we didn’t head down this path when it was obviously needed much earlier.

Hmmm, who was talking about alt accounts and similar posts...??!! 🤔😆

Anja_Nees 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back