Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Moraes looks very classy. Has a bit of Rozee about him. Like the look of him early on.

Lalor reminds me of Clay Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Smith leaves I imagine we will be looking to trade any picks we get for him into a mature player

Think midfielder Sam Lalor who was training with us during the pre-season projects around that range. Haven’t done too much research into the next crop of draftees but midfielders Jagga Smith, Smillie and O’Sullivan seem to be the standouts.
Loved Smillie's underage campaign. He's already a big boy, over 190cm as a mid.

From what I saw last year, either the Dragons or Chargers were basically rolling out underagers in their midfield every week (including Ashcroft mk 2).

I think we’d go the draftee route and use the cap space to retain others.
Yeah I think that would have to be the play, hit the draft again to stagger the list. Dont know much about the draft but reading one of the draft threads it looks like 8-9 of the top the top 10 are mids so could be a good one for us.

If both English and Baz leave get into Butters ear big time for FA next year

I agree with others though that Hawks really makes no sense to be offering that sort of money (& draft capital) when their midfield has Newc, Day, Ward, Nash, HH, McKenzie and their talls down back & up front are so so cooked. So we’ll see I guess

next year is a big midfielder year. Given our tall stocks, why wouldnt we do another 'sanders' draft for a mid/wing if we loose Smith?
+ Whichever draftee we get is on base salary for 2 years so it helps our TPP

If I was negotiating these deals, I would have tried to bundle Naughty and JUH at the same time and told them $8m each for 8 years - these guys love and respect each other, can imagine they would have been elated to sign with equal pay/terms, joint presser, etc then dominate with each other for the next decade. Think we missed trick not approaching it this way.
If they were the same draft class maybe, but Naughty's deal is in all likelihood his last one with the club taking him through to the last few years of his career. Jamarra and his team are probably figuring out whether they take a 7-8 year deal which would push him into his late 20s/early 30s, leaving room for one more big deal or taking something shorter (on big coin still) allowing him to sign the mega 6 year plus deal in his mid 20s.

That’s insane money for him. I’d suggest nearly half of that would be due to off-field reasons rather than his on-field output
Am sure Baz does great with the off field stuff in terms of money (good for him too) I just don't see how his profile translates to actual substantial dollars for the club. There was a moment post 2021 where it looked like he might be crossing over to absolute mainstream appeal but that ship has sailed.

Considering Cotton On sponsors the Cats you can make the arguments some shenanigans will arise where his supposed $1.2m a year is partially footed by them in a new 'increased' sponsorship deal for the club.

Am sure Baz does great with the off field stuff in terms of money (good for him too) I just don't see how his profile translates to actual substantial dollars for the club. There was a moment post 2021 where it looked like he might be crossing over to absolute mainstream appeal but that ship has sailed.

Considering Cotton On sponsors the Cats you can make the arguments some shenanigans will arise where his supposed $1.2m a year is partially footed by them in a new 'increased' sponsorship deal for the club.
Advertising,

He is always talked about

Advertising,

He is always talked about

Does the fact that Bailey Smith is in the media spotlight somehow generate revenue for the club? I'd imagine that the benefits to our bottom line would be negligible. Maybe a few extra memberships and home game attendees but that's it. Football teams don't benefit from brand recognition the way that firms competing in the market do. We've never had more media exposure than the 2016 flag, but even that didn't translate into meaningful increases to membership numbers in the long term. I'd also argue that good footy puts more bums on seats than Bailey's abs. Naughton, Jamarra and Bont are the guys people pay money to go watch; they can see Bailey's abs for free on instagram

If Smith leaves I imagine we will be looking to trade any picks we get for him into a mature player
Why would we when we could potentially get another Sanders in the draft and pay them peanuts? I’m backing our recruitment team to find ready made midfield talent early in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the fact that Bailey Smith is in the media spotlight somehow generate revenue for the club? I'd imagine that the benefits to our bottom line would be negligible. Maybe a few extra memberships and home game attendees but that's it. Football teams don't benefit from brand recognition the way that firms competing in the market do. We've never had more media exposure than the 2016 flag, but even that didn't translate into meaningful increases to membership numbers in the long term. I'd also argue that good footy puts more bums on seats than Bailey's abs. Naughton, Jamarra and Bont are the guys people pay money to go watch; they can see Bailey's abs for free on instagram
Yes because higher level sponsors come into play

Some big names out of contract in 2025 too. What kind of offers will come Darcy’s way? Just how unders is Bont willing to go? What will Richards get if he continues his rise? Cody?

Considering Naughts, and let’s just assume/hope at that point Marra, are on mega deals.

I know the cap is increasing but something/someone has to give right? It seems likely that Darcy gets the same offers as Marra and Naughts, if not higher. Bont needs his dues.

Darcy and Sanders are already making us question how valuable Tim and Baz are to the side going forward (in terms of cap management). Hard to see us matching offers if Baz is getting 1.2 mill a year thrown at him.
There is no world that Darcy gets the same offers as Naughton and Jamarra. He's played 7 games thus far and hasnt shown any ability to stay on the park. Naughton has a demonstrated track record and Jamarra has tracked exactly as you'd hope for a pick 1 key forward

As much as I've been critical of Smith's poor form not being recognised, you'd have to think that there's a high floor in terms of output for someone who works as hard as he does off- and on-field. There's always footy value for someone who can gut run on the outside and link up like he can, irrespective of his other skills or lack thereof. A coach can stick him on the half forward flank or on the ball and know that he'll work hard and take direction, which is got to be worth something.

Remember there'll be more TV deals, an increased salary cap. If you can guarantee yourself 150-200+ games of at least reasonable football output, there's less uncertainty into the future with Smith than there is any other random player. Take Hawthorn's Josh Ward for example - pick 7 in the draft and two years into his career there's a very good chance he only ever becomes a fringe wingman talent. There's no guarantee he's good enough as a footballer to play 150+ games of substantial value into the future even though Hawks sunk pick 7 into him.

Modern footy has had plenty of examples of clubs being able to afford to recruit from other clubs because they have money set aside for their top draft picks that never kick on so they don't need to pay them the money - Carlton for example over the last 10 years.

Toyd says hi
If Sam Darcy leaves the club I’ll be done with the Western Bulldogs and the AFL as a whole.

We’d really have to screw the pooch to let a 3rd generation, son of a legend and current sitting board member, walk to another club.

There is no world that Darcy gets the same offers as Naughton and Jamarra. He's played 7 games thus far and hasnt shown any ability to stay on the park. Naughton has a demonstrated track record and Jamarra has tracked exactly as you'd hope for a pick 1 key forward

We’ll see. Darcy himself was a pick 2 and possibly the most unique prospect in the comp. His contested marking ability for his age is nuts and he has shown the ability to play tall at either end already. And has been showing his ruck chops lately.

When he’s next out of contract he’ll be signing for the 2026 season onwards. I’m very high on him and pretty confident by that point he’ll be a top player either as a forward or ruck and the offers will come, even if they’re irresponsibly high.

There’s always a team with more money than sense. That was us with Tom Boyd at one point.

(Again not that I’m fearmongering about him leaving or anything - point being I expect him to stay and to be expensive)

If Sam Darcy leaves the club I’ll be done with the Western Bulldogs and the AFL as a whole.

We’d really have to screw the pooch to let a 3rd generation, son of a legend and current sitting board member, walk to another club.
I'd also be shocked if he left.

Just saying he'll always be very well paid by us.

Why would we when we could potentially get another Sanders in the draft and pay them peanuts? I’m backing our recruitment team to find ready made midfield talent early in the draft.
Personally I'm huge on the top end of the 2024 draft ( why I was so worried about leaving the first round). I've been told if English leaves we will be putting any recieved draft capital on the table for some extra speed at the contest, I'm assuming they feel the same if Smith was to leave. The club feel we're very much in the window and don't want to go too young.

Although Sanders looks a star the draft isn't without its risks and we could just as easily end up with the next Toumpas.

We aren't short on money and have strategically scattered contracts of players over the next 3 or 4 years to aggressive hit the market. Hightend obviously if we lose one or more of our own high paid talent

This is why I want him in the team asap. He has too much talent to be kicking the dew off the turf in the VFL. I believe he's ready to make a big contribution now. If we have to shuffle the team around to get him in then so be it.

Yes because higher level sponsors come into play

I doubt it. The Cotton Ons of the world will just engage him directly rather than sponsoring the club, which is what we have already seen. He's been at the club for what, 5 years already? And we're still sponsored by some crypto scam company, dog biscuits and a supermarket mexican food brand? When are these higher level sponsors expected to show up?

Think people will be in for a rude shock to see what Smith will go for off of a poor year and then a year out with an ACL.
My mail although not from player management like smiley's is still saying Jamarra almost done. Smith in good faith talks for a short contract depending on rehab and English likely gone.
I like your post much better! 🙂

I doubt it. The Cotton Ons of the world will just engage him directly rather than sponsoring the club, which is what we have already seen. He's been at the club for what, 5 years already? And we're still sponsored by some crypto scam company, dog biscuits and a supermarket mexican food brand? When are these higher level sponsors expected to show up?
Nobody tell him we've lost the dog biscuits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back