Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think with his omission this week we can stamp the Lobb experiment a failure.

It follows other tall acquisitions of the Bevo era:
  • Boyd (qualified success)
  • Cloke (fail)
  • Schache (fail)
  • Trengove (fail)
  • Bruce (some success)
  • Keath (some success)
  • Martin (fail)
  • Jones (success)

Generally our efforts to recruit talls from elsewhere have been underwhelming. Ironically our home grown talls have worked.
Toyd was the greatest success of all

The irony in all of this is the early years Bevo mantra of players needing to be able to play practically anywhere, in the event they need to be moved around mid-game due to injuries or needing a tactical change-up. We saw some rogue s**t for a few years.

These days we generally just see the same players in the same roles for a whole game. There is very little evidence of a secondary role for the vast majority of players.

If Naughton can’t get a sniff or is being controlled by someone like May (or Collins this weekend), put him on the ball for 5 minutes to break things up a bit. It’s gotta be better than Easton Wood the key forward which was apparently worth trying.
I used to think what was asked of Jordan Roughhead was kind of cruel. Matty Croft was the break glass full fwd ☝️
But yea I agree… more changes nid game needed.
But we have a very different backline group that need the time and experience playing together to gel.

I think a lot of us thought given their age a fourth year for both was probably optimistic anyway. They were fine.

It is stark just how many mature key position players we’ve recruited over the years. Often they’ve seemed surplus to requirements at the time too. Unfortunately Lobb is probably on track to be the worst.
I think Lobb isnt being utilised as well as he could be. His ruck work can be better than English.

I think with his omission this week we can stamp the Lobb experiment a failure.

It follows other tall acquisitions of the Bevo era:
  • Boyd (qualified success)
  • Cloke (fail)
  • Schache (fail)
  • Trengove (fail)
  • Bruce (some success)
  • Keath (some success)
  • Martin (fail)
  • Jones (success)

Generally our efforts to recruit talls from elsewhere have been underwhelming. Ironically our home grown talls have worked.

With the exception of Boyd they didn’t really cost us much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think Lobb might be waiting awhile for a return in the side

Which is a shame because Lobb was huge today as well. At this point though we need to focus on getting Darcy as experienced as possible, he's already extremely difficult to play against without having to scrag or chop the arms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is a shame because Lobb was huge today as well. At this point though we need to focus on getting Darcy as experienced as possible, he's already extremely difficult to play against without having to scrag or chop the arms.

Sweet was great in VFL last year as well. Lobb is back up only if English or Darcy are injured.

We need to play Darcy for remainder of year after todays effort where he was better than English

Let Lobb know he’s on the list as a back up ruck only and we are happy to trade him for peanuts to get his money off our books.
If English gets injured I think we’ll be glad to have Lobb. Darcy couldn’t do it all right now and Lobb is better than nothing.

Still think it was the wrong call bringing him in though, especially given Darcy finished 2022 so well. My guess is our offer had already been made and we just carried through with it.

If English gets injured I think we’ll be glad to have Lobb. Darcy couldn’t do it all right now and Lobb is better than nothing.

Still think it was the wrong call bringing him in though, especially given Darcy finished 2022 so well. My guess is our offer had already been made and we just carried through with it.
Yeah if English goes down he’d certainly get the call up.

My biggest issue was the 4 year term. Maybe Darcy has come on quicker than anticipated.

My biggest issue was the 4 year term. Maybe Darcy has come on quicker than anticipated.
He probably has, but he was a massive talent as a junior and was making inroads in his first year so it shouldn’t be that big a shock.

I respect Power’s ability to target players and get deals done but this one was always an odd one. Seemed pretty obvious he’d be obsolete quickly.

Then again, if English leaves and we can’t get a good replacement he’ll probably be useful next year.

Does anyone else find it a little bit odd that Bailey Smith is so far away from the club? I get that he might need a little break during rehab if he’s doing it away from the club but he was the the F1 today instead of our game or even watching it on TV.

Does anyone else find it a little bit odd that Bailey Smith is so far away from the club? I get that he might need a little break during rehab if he’s doing it away from the club but he was the the F1 today instead of our game or even watching it on TV.
I think it's good he's away from footy for a while

Personally I’m a bit over Smith generally.

Hope he’s doing what’s best for him but if he decided to seek a trade I’d move on very quickly.

Yeah didn’t like that, all for him training away from the club if he needs but not supporting your teammates to go to the F1? Nah that didn’t sit well for mine

Sounds like it’s only 3 years - I thought it was 4 too but all the articles say 2025 is his last year.

Basically as I said before round 1 it’s clear Darcy is better now - doesn’t mean Lobb won’t play again this year, he will. But Darcy is the better player, when fit, right now and he clearly has to play. Shocked we made the call this early but glad we did

Sounds like it’s only 3 years - I thought it was 4 too but all the articles say 2025 is his last year.

Basically as I said before round 1 it’s clear Darcy is better now - doesn’t mean Lobb won’t play again this year, he will. But Darcy is the better player, when fit, right now and he clearly has to play. Shocked we made the call this early but glad we did
Being fair, in addition to Darcy coming on quickly we probably also thought Lobb would play better.

He’s played plenty of good games and looked like someone that could contribute forward and give good support to English but he hasn’t really done either.

Let’s be honest, we ain’t seeing Lobb in the seniors again unless English or Darcy are injured.
I like Lobby, but honestly, he may as well go to a Geelong or Hawthorn next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back