Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who have we got in the KPD pipeline? Croft?

Liam Jones might only be good for another year. Keath is near the end, Buss is possibly only an interceptor or third tall like Khamis ( who isn’t even tall). Gardner is looking like a break-glass option only.

I think it remains a priority for next off season. Especially a big bodied type.
We haven't had anyone in the "pipeline" for years. Trengove, Keath and Jones were all recruited from other clubs. Gardner a mature ager. O'Donnell was already 21 and playing games when he was signed. Bruce was converted there after his ACL. Tim O'Brien another free agent. I don't think the club really thinks of it as a priority to try and "develop" key defenders for tomorrow when pretty much in the entire Bevo era whatever key defenders we have on our list at any given point in time came onto our list in ways other than just being an ordinary 18-year-old draftee.

We haven't had anyone in the "pipeline" for years. Trengove, Keath and Jones were all recruited from other clubs. Gardner a mature ager. O'Donnell was already 21 and playing games when he was signed. Bruce was converted there after his ACL. Tim O'Brien another free agent. I don't think the club really thinks of it as a priority to try and "develop" key defenders for tomorrow when pretty much in the entire Bevo era whatever key defenders we have on our list at any given point in time came onto our list in ways other than just being an ordinary 18-year-old draftee.
... of cricket. He was a Cat B so no footy for 3 years. An absolute gift from the footy gods.

We did draft & develop Cordy, DFA Hamling and PSS Fletcher but after flicking Talia & Young the only KPD I can recall us drafting is Naughton. Ignoring Darcy of course who burst on the scene at the start of his u18 year with a massive game of intercept marking in defence but looks like a gun forward/ruck in the making (one of the hardest list positions to fill).

I take your point though and would be happy to draft/rookie some depth in that position.

The emergence of Bramble makes me less inclined to look at the likes of Noble, Duggan etc but early days still so see how Brambles form holds up

Yep, I find it hard to dismiss hawks supporters comments who have seen him play for years more that we have, those being 'turnover merchant'. Going to a new club can have sudden results if the players issues were training/effort related, but I cant see us suddenly being responsible for him learning to kick reliably.

I'd still prefer to have someone that can genuinely lockdown.
Weirdly, that what Gags was drafted as. We have an amazing ability to find young talent that started in defence.

... of cricket. He was a Cat B so no footy for 3 years. An absolute gift from the footy gods.

We did draft & develop Cordy, DFA Hamling and PSS Fletcher but after flicking Talia & Young the only KPD I can recall us drafting is Naughton. Ignoring Darcy of course who burst on the scene at the start of his u18 year with a massive game of intercept marking in defence but looks like a gun forward/ruck in the making (one of the hardest list positions to fill).

I take your point though and would be happy to draft/rookie some depth in that position.

'dad' Collins and 'patch me up' Adams.

Who have we got in the KPD pipeline? Croft?

Liam Jones might only be good for another year. Keath is near the end, Buss is possibly only an interceptor or third tall like Khamis ( who isn’t even tall). Gardner is looking like a break-glass option only.

I think it remains a priority for next off season. Especially a big bodied type.
I think JOD, Croft, and Buss are a good young pipeline. But think we could do with that bigger bodied KPD still that could cover the LJizz role

English has interest from Wet Toast but more likely to stay
He's in the prime of his career - going to a club just starting a rebuild was always going to be a tough ask

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's in the prime of his career - going to a club just starting a rebuild was always going to be a tough ask
As North have learnt with Gaff, Kelly, Martin etc. that offering the most money to a player if you're a bad team that doesn't look like making finals in the year future doesn't always get a player across the line. West Coast could very well offer English half a million more per year and English could very well still want to play at the Dogs.

As North have learnt with Gaff, Kelly, Martin etc. that offering the most money to a player if you're a bad team that doesn't look like making finals in the year future doesn't always get a player across the line. West Coast could very well offer English half a million more per year and English could very well still want to play at the Dogs.
Yep. It's the "next tier down" that take the big FA dollars - e.g. Polec & Corr at North, $750k & $600k pa under the 'old' cap that is 50% smaller than the 2025 cap.

Of course, we took Tim O'Brien in the same way.

Yep, I find it hard to dismiss hawks supporters comments who have seen him play for years more that we have, those being 'turnover merchant'. Going to a new club can have sudden results if the players issues were training/effort related, but I cant see us suddenly being responsible for him learning to kick reliably.

Hawks chip the ball around methodically, he seems more inclined to playing directly and aggressively even if it doesn't come off all the time.

Have been told the dogs have shown interest in Perryman and Noble recently however the manager of both have said they're currently happy where they are.
Well as of 10 minutes ago media is now running that multiple clubs are chasing Noble - us included, good early intel.

Not sure if we need him to be honest, Perryman on the other hand...

Yeah I agree we could still use one not sure if Noble or Duggan would be those types though. But Duggan especially would be a pretty handy pickup
I don't think so either, Duggan probably the best at it but not his bread and butter. Alot of shut-down small defenders go undrafted every year because it isn't a pretty position.
Weirdly, that what Gags was drafted as. We have an amazing ability to find young talent that started in defence.
I thought he was always more of an offensive player?

Gettable with a capital G... whorethorn, Colliwobbles, Geelong
The sustained interest from Geelong and Hawks has obviously come as a suprise to all involved. Earlier in the year I was told all things looked positive for a 2 year deal once the rehab had progressed but obviously coming off an ACL extra job security in terms of years ($per year will be similar) would be hard to refuse.

I don't think so either, Duggan probably the best at it but not his bread and butter. Alot of shut-down small defenders go undrafted every year because it isn't a pretty position.

I thought he was always more of an offensive player?

He actually rocketed into draft considerations following his shift to the backline as he had a number of insane games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back