Remove this Banner Ad

ssfc0203

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
IC, SAC (Titans), EC, Daredevils
Thinking of travelling to Europe next year (Mainly France and the battlefields and England, but also Berlin, Prague, Rome, Krakow).

How much money would I need to get around?

Suggestions against travelling alone?

General thoughts ...?

Just getting a general idea so I can decide whether to save up or not.

i would save a few thousand for a trip to europe ($5k backpackers; $10k hotel accomodation ~ plus a little more for a flight to and from europe)

however on the backpackers thing, i stayed at one for 2 days, left and upgraded to a hotel because it was so sub-standard (and the extra few hundred were worth it)

suggestions against travelling alone? brit lapthorne... but she had fun before she died, that is the most important thing ;)

Thinking of travelling to Europe next year (Mainly France and the battlefields and England, but also Berlin, Prague, Rome, Krakow).

All the places you have mentioned are pretty safe for a young woman to go by herself. I'm not sure about Poland, but the others should be sweet. Will you be able to meet up with any friends while you're over there?

I asked my Dad about me going travelling and he said there were some places he wouldn't like to see me go alone. Some places in eastern Europe were mentioned, he said I should try to go there with a male friend!

My friends just got back from a 4 months trip to Europe, they stayed in 3 star hotels the whole time because they didn't want to slum it - I'd recommend that if you can afford it! :D

General thoughts ...?

Ive been to Europe a couple times.
Great idea traveling solo, i wouldnt be put off by it, if anything it could be better. It will get you out of your comfort zone and make you get out there and meet more people, besides its more about the people not the places.

Accomadation is the biggest expense next to partying, couldnt tell you how much exactly for i havent had to pay for it in the past. But thats what people say.

France is not that cheap, especially Paris, but you have to go there!
Berlin is one of my favorite cities, big on the arts, summer there is so much fun, and its really cheap.

Buying a rail ticket is an easy and good way to get around Europe, (if you know the right people you can get one real cheap;)). Otherwise Easy Jet have heaps cheap air fares.

As far as a budget goes, maybe $300/600 AUD a week would be around the mark. Depends where you stay and go.
Careful flying into London, immigration expect you to have alot of spending money, if they question you.

General thoughts ...?

Hey K,

How long are you travelling for? I'm such a terrible money planner so I honestly could not tell you how much money i spent when i travelled but i was discussing this with my brother last week and he said he budgeted for about 3k a month.

Berlin, Prague and krakow aren't too expensive but rome and england are. As for being safe, i think you'll be fine as long as you are sensible (you are.... right? ;))

How long do you want to stay for?

What time of year will you go?

and how much money do you think you could save?

Berlin is one of my favorite cities, big on the arts, summer there is so much fun, and its really cheap.

snappy, i couldn't agree with you more, berlin is my favourite european city. Especially east berlin, cheap as chips.

K i think accommodation could be averaged out to about $30 per night or there abouts and that would be staying in cheap hostels, which are absolutely fine. You'll meet loads of people there and have a great time.

Please don't become a backpacker Kritika!

I honestly don't think I could travel alone, even though I always thought that I could. After going to Japan I realised that there's no way in hell that I could have done it alone.. just because I was seeing so many different things and obviously I wanted to talk (and complain) about it all.. and not just with anyone (like some other random person) but with someone that I felt comfortable with, so that's why going with my sister was perfect.

Do you have someone you can go with?

I went to europe when young to visit relos, Im not trying to sway you either way, if its your dream or want, go for it!
However Id like to say, if I had the cash up and the time off over again, I would explore every nook and cranny of Australia instead, so much to see, and your budget will take you further, we have tropical rain forests, deserts, other cultures, some of the best beaches in the world, I believe that anything youll find in europe, we have the equal if not better right here, but hey, thats just me, Im not the clubbing meeting people kind of guy anyway, youll be surprised if you ask around, how little of Australia, Australians really see! I love this country!

Great idea traveling solo, i wouldnt be put off by it, if anything it could be better. It will get you out of your comfort zone and make you get out there and meet more people, besides its more about the people not the places.

I agree, one thing about travelling alone is that you do connect a lot more readily with locals/other travellers, and you have a lot more 'freedom' in that your experience is not dictated by anyone else.

But the first time you travel alone could be a bit daunting, I am not sure how old you are but given you are about to do your HSC I assume around 16/17? That's still quite young to be travelling by yourself, but don't let that put you off as it depends on the individual! If you are like Nat and think you would go mad at not having someone to talk to, perhaps travelling alone is not your style.

Perhaps if you haven't done this before it would be easier to try and line up some accommodation in the way of cheap hostels online before you go? This is much easier than it used to be, as a lot of websites allow you to sort by price and view travellers' ratings/feedback so you can suss the place out before you book.

I would definitely go for the rail ticket travelling around Europe, the rail network there is awesome and efficient, plus the trains are very comfortable and you can sit back and enjoy the scenery :thumbsu: With an iPod and a couple of good books, the time will fly!

Oh wow Kritika! You're very brave to travel all the way to the other side of the world on your own!

Kudos to you. Haha, I encourage you to let your hair loose after the HSC and everything. Why don't you invite your other school friends to go with you?

Why don't you invite your other school friends to go with you?

:thumbsu: This is a great idea, that way you can plan your trip together and pool your combined knowledge (and probably put the parentals at ease, too ;) )

Lol :D

None of my friends want to go THAT far overseas at the moment.

Also, I should mention I have relos in London, haha. So not completely alone.

I just want to do the things that'll get me really emotional by myself. Just want to see what I'm made of, get out of my comfort zone, & have a great time without worrying about anyone else.

Then go for it! I liked the friends idea cuz it would be a fun thing to plan/do post-HSC with a small group of close friends, but it sounds like you'd enjoy it more by yourself!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol :D

None of my friends want to go THAT far overseas at the moment.

Also, I should mention I have relos in London, haha. So not completely alone.

I just want to do the things that'll get me really emotional by myself. Just want to see what I'm made of, get out of my comfort zone, & have a great time without worrying about anyone else.

Honestly ssfc0203, i have to say you are such a little legend. I'm blown away by you sometimes.

I cannot recommend travelling alone highly enough if seeing what you're made of is what you're after. Having relos in london is a godsend but staying with them for a while is still getting out of your comfort zone. London is awesome, where do they live? It's so good you wont have to stay in hostels there, not that i've done it, but i know they're exy and london can be one tough city, doesn't matter how many relis you have there. I'm not saying this to put you off, i'm saying it because i know this is in line with what you're after (i think).

ps. i'm excited for you

Depending on how long you are going for, I'd recommend looking at getting a Eurorail (http://www.eurail.com/) pass.

It covers 25 countries in Europe (but not the UK).
You can also get 'smaller' passes covering a limited number of countries.
The pass also gets you discounts on entry to certain museums etc.
I'd suggest buying the highest quality pass you can afford.

The trains in Europe are a quick, efficient and safe way to get around.

Also worthwhile would be getting some info about Youth hostels (http://www.yha.com.au/index.cfm?). Nice cheap way to stay overseas and whilst they cover a range of accommodation, most are of reasonable to good quality. Also a good place to meet people as travelling alone can sometimes be a bit lonely.

I should add I'm now an old fart, but that's the way I went, when you could buy a keg of beer for a penny and houses cost two pounds. :D

Haha, not sure if I deserve the accolades stimpy, but thanks anyway :)

Yeah, I'll be using the train quite a lot, and just letting my cousins show me around London (they live in Surrey) and then going my own way for a couple of weeks.

I'm excited too! I'll prolly be a mess going to the battlefields and Krakow, but its all part of the experience ;D

Don't worry Nat, I won't be a backpacker!

Now to convince my mum ;)

Lol, yeah they live down the street from where Dan Radcliffe used to live when he was like, 10 or 11.

What do you need money for K? I'm sure you're extensive vocabulary will be enough to get you by :rolleyes:

If you're struggling though you can always organise a ménage à trois for some extra cash.

:eek: I'm not sure if that's good advice for a teenager!!

What do you need money for K? I'm sure you're extensive vocabulary will be enough to get you by :rolleyes:

If you're struggling though you can always organise a ménage à trois for some extra cash.
I don't think you need to look up the words syphillis, gonorrhea, AIDS and whore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back