Trip Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Stanley also played as full back for a year, and look how that turned out, am I right?! :)

... Guys...?

... guys...?

Ugh, and I'd just finished purging that era from my mind. Thanks for that.

he started off half back and played alot of his football there. thats all i remember as a kid. i think he might have been the precursor to adam hunter

I remember just before we recruited him we played WC at dock lands and he was playing like Roberton as a very tall running back. He tore us a new one running the length of the ground and having shots on goal. He was very athletic when he was young and bulked up considerably to become a KPF. He was predominantly a defender at WCE and the fact he ba came a 100plus Forward shows how outstanding a player he actually was.

Sorry to call in stats again Gringo :p, but Frase played 6 seasons at West Coast and in one of them he kicked 42 goals, another he kicked 34 (19 games), he had a 31, in another he kicked 19, from just 11 games and in his first season he kicked 21 goals, at 19yo. He would have by far played most of his games there either up forward, or on the wing.

In his 2nd season he only kicked 12 goals from 24 games, so he probably spent time in defence that year, but other than that it's not looking like he did much at all and I certainly don't remember him having done so much, if at all (which isn't to say he didn't, but I know for sure he played mostly forward and wing, which is where he got most of those goals from).

They only started keeping inside-50 and rebound-50 stats in his final 3 seasons with them and in his 3rd last year there he had just 8 rebound-50's, to 57 inside 50's, in his 2nd last he had 7 rebound-50's, to 36 inside 50's and in his final season there he had 9 rebound-50's, to 67 inside 50's, so that would suggest very strongly that he was playing mostly forward in those last 3 seasons with them in particular.

They did move him around a fair bit though and I remember it being reported at the time that he didn't like that and that one of the reasons he chose us was that we told him we'd settle him in one spot (in that case, full back).

And that's my point. Gehrig was a hff at wce even if he played in other positions from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So basically it was the Rhys Stanley experiment but was more successful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's my point. Gehrig was a hff at wce even if he played in other positions from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he played a significant amount of time in the backline, the closest i could liken it too would be mcgovern. started fwd, moved back and now looks to be going fwd again

Sorry to call in stats again Gringo :p, but Frase played 6 seasons at West Coast and in one of them he kicked 42 goals, another he kicked 34 (19 games), he had a 31, in another he kicked 19, from just 11 games and in his first season he kicked 21 goals, at 19yo. He would have by far played most of his games there either up forward, or on the wing.

In his 2nd season he only kicked 12 goals from 24 games, so he probably spent time in defence that year, but other than that it's not looking like he did much at all and I certainly don't remember him having done so much, if at all (which isn't to say he didn't, but I know for sure he played mostly forward and wing, which is where he got most of those goals from).

They only started keeping inside-50 and rebound-50 stats in his final 3 seasons with them and in his 3rd last year there he had just 8 rebound-50's, to 57 inside 50's, in his 2nd last he had 7 rebound-50's, to 36 inside 50's and in his final season there he had 9 rebound-50's, to 67 inside 50's, so that would suggest very strongly that he was playing mostly forward in those last 3 seasons with them in particular.

They did move him around a fair bit though and I remember it being reported at the time that he didn't like that and that one of the reasons he chose us was that we told him we'd settle him in one spot (in that case, full back).

Perhaps my memory isn't so good but my memory of him was as a back. Pe he was a bit of a swing an before his time.

I remember how fantastic Gehrig was on the wing at West Coast and being extremely excited to get him to the club. I then felt very disappointed to see him play as a stay at home back man for us as he's best quality was his mobility for his size. I was then amazed to see the player he turned into once he went to full forward.

I remember how fantastic Gehrig was on the wing at West Coast and being extremely excited to get him to the club. I then felt very disappointed to see him play as a stay at home back man for us as he's best quality was his mobility for his size. I was then amazed to see the player he turned into once he went to full forward.

The G Train was one of the most extraordinary footballers (and extraordinary blokes) I've ever come across.
He played as a very effective goal kicking wingman, an effective KPD and then as a unbelievably big and strong KPF who kicked 100 goals in a season.
He won five club goal kicking awards over two clubs, two AA over two clubs, a runner up B&F at St Kilda as a Full Back and to top it off won as many Coleman Medals as a Saint as Plugger.
An extraordinary career.

The G Train was one of the most extraordinary footballers (and extraordinary blokes) I've ever come across.
He played as a very effective goal kicking wingman, an effective KPD and then as a unbelievably big and strong KPF who kicked 100 goals in a season.
He won five club goal kicking awards over two clubs, two AA over two clubs, a runner up B&F at St Kilda as a Full Back and to top it off won as many Coleman Medals as a Saint as Plugger.
An extraordinary career.
Love Fraser the amazer, was one of all time favourites. So disappointed when the mullet was retired.

Love Fraser the amazer, was one of all time favourites. So disappointed when the mullet was retired.

I think it was 2011 or 2012 and after a StK v Coll game at Etihad I ended up by pure chance on the beers with Fraser and Scotty Cummings. One of the best nights of my life, I've never laughed so much. The G Train even organised for a meal to be bought out to him at a nearby gentlemans club as young ladies danced mere inches from his food! A couple of real legends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back