Discussion TV Broadcast Graphics - Designs & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Going for something a bit more minimalistic. Still not sure about the black inner and outer borders, and I don't know if the box displaying the current quarter is what I want or not.

I'll upload more from this portfolio once I feel I get the design right.

4qfvyh.jpg

Last edited:

Both Seven and Fox have really nice graphics for footy now.

Here's one I made. The little gold number is that team's current ladder position. Only the top 8 has one.
View attachment 272600
They should have a gold number for "live" ladder positions. So it changes if a team gets ahead or a team coughs up a goal :p

The thing I'm hating right now is when stats and detail get projected onto the grass rather than just displayed on-screen.

It's clever, but it's not actually useful.
My pet hate is when I watch the NRL and they project the advertisements onto the field. The actual concept itself makes perfect sense and can work wonders if they apply it consistently. At the moment if a wide angle has a tackle on top of an advertisement they then switch to a close up and it has magically gone. I guess I shouldn't complain about some sort of reduction in advertising but I just don't like the lack of continuity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My pet hate is when I watch the NRL and they project the advertisements onto the field. The actual concept itself makes perfect sense and can work wonders if they apply it consistently. At the moment if a wide angle has a tackle on top of an advertisement they then switch to a close up and it has magically gone. I guess I shouldn't complain about some sort of reduction in advertising but I just don't like the lack of continuity.
I think it's to save costs for clubs having to paint them on, because they still painted on ads for Origins this year at least.

I think it's to save costs for clubs having to paint them on, because they still painted on ads for Origins this year at least.

I thought they first started doing it because its clearer for the viewer than paint. Unlike the AFL, they actually change the logos depending on the day, so repainting all the time just made things messy. When the technology became available, it made sense to move towards it. This is possibly why the NRL logo itself is painted on (because its the same all the time), but the sponsors logos aren't.

Things also came to a head when torrential rain in Sydney (I think?) before an Origin game a few years back meant they couldn't paint the logos on the ground at all. Digital advertising was supposed to be a way around that, too. Though as you mentioned, they still paint the origin logos onto the ground now, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

The thing I'm hating right now is when stats and detail get projected onto the grass rather than just displayed on-screen.

Completely pointless. Reeks of something they do just because "they can". At the SCG, they even have a special camera perched higher up on the stand just so they can get their ground graphics to work, because the normal broadcast camera is at too low an angle for it to work properly.

At least they have moved away from plain white writing on the screen with no coloured background. That made things really difficult to read at times.

I really hope the SCG make a spot for the main camera in the middle of the ground higher up because it's such a pain to watch football on tv from that angle

It's tackiness is only reinforced when the camera pans left to display the commentators names during a ball up in the 50M arc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back