TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon there's a big gap in the market for an app that lets you do something like that. It occurred to me while watching split screen on Kayo last year, but even being able to watch a sport on mute on half the screen while your other half watches some reality show on a different streaming service on the other surely appeals to some. Or else being able to split screen sports from two different sporting apps in a less extreme example.
You think there’s a big gap in the market for the TV to have half sport and half reality show?

I’m honestly shocked anyone would want that. I’d rather watch on a laptop/phone than split the screen with something like that.

You think there’s a big gap in the market for the TV to have half sport and half reality show?

I’m honestly shocked anyone would want that. I’d rather watch on a laptop/phone than split the screen with something like that.

Did you miss my last sentence? 😂 you don't think there's a market for being able to split screen sports or programs from multiple apps rather than just Kayo?

Did you miss my last sentence? 😂 you don't think there's a market for being able to split screen sports or programs from multiple apps rather than just Kayo?
I didn’t, I was just addressing the first part which seemed strange to me haha.

I don’t believe there’d be a big enough market to worry about splitting programs from multiple apps. If you’re genuinely watching a show, I don’t think most would want their screen split in half with something else.

Sport makes a bit more sense but I just don’t see it happening. Would mostly only occur with football (due to the split rights)? What other sports would you be trying to merge across apps?

I don’t believe there’d be a big enough market to worry about splitting programs from multiple apps. If you’re genuinely watching a show, I don’t think most would want their screen split in half with something else.

Sport makes a bit more sense but I just don’t see it happening. Would mostly only occur with football (due to the split rights)? What other sports would you be trying to merge across apps?

Yeah no thanks to split screen. Misso would be demanding MAFS on the split screen when the football is on.

There's about four different apps showing sport. Afl crosses over with epl once both are back, championship and epl regularly on at same time, a-league and afl, etc etc. That's just the ones I'm interested in. F1 and epl, union and afl, I'm sure there's plenty of combinations if you put your mind to it.

There's about four different apps showing sport. Afl crosses over with epl once both are back, championship and epl regularly on at same time, a-league and afl, etc etc. That's just the ones I'm interested in. F1 and epl, union and afl, I'm sure there's plenty of combinations if you put your mind to it.
They're played at completely different times of the day.

There's really no market for what you're suggesting. There just won't be enough interest to make it viable.

They're played at completely different times of the day.

There's really no market for what you're suggesting. There just won't be enough interest to make it viable.

No they aren't? The Saturday night AFL regularly clashes with EPL once the time zones flick back.

You're making out I'm suggesting some super expensive product. I'm merely suggesting that Google home TVs, Apple TVs, and this new Foxtel bundle which already allow cross platform capability should look into split screen capability for sport. It wouldn't be much of an extra stretch. If there's zero market for it why does Kayo offer it?

No they aren't? The Saturday night AFL regularly clashes with EPL once the time zones flick back.

You're making out I'm suggesting some super expensive product. I'm merely suggesting that Google home TVs, Apple TVs, and this new Foxtel bundle which already allow cross platform capability should look into split screen capability for sport. It wouldn't be much of an extra stretch. If there's zero market for it why does Kayo offer it?
One half/quarter of an AFL game clashing with the first half of the early kick off.

Why would any of the subscription services agree to share screens with competitors? It makes zero sense for them to sign off on it. Kayo is able to offer it because they're splitting their own content. I'd love to see the statistics of how often that actually gets used in any case.

One half/quarter of an AFL game clashing with the first half of the early kick off.

Why would any of the subscription services agree to share screens with competitors? It makes zero sense for them to sign off on it. Kayo is able to offer it because they're splitting their own content. I'd love to see the statistics of how often that actually gets used in any case.

Usually people tend to find the second half/last quarter of a game reasonably important. ;) You've also ignored the series of other examples I came up with but whatever.

You've made far more out of this than was needed really. The suggestion that split screen capability be extended beyond merely Kayo sports was all I was saying. I'd think subscribers wouldn't care if the screen is being shared with a competitor if it means people are happy to pay for more subscriptions. If I'm always watching Championship games when Champions League games are on why would I get a Stan subscription? If I could watch both at the same time I'd be more inclined to get the second subscription. I would have thought that would be reasonably obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back