Unpopular St.Kilda opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I had my doubts that a thread airing "Unpopular St Kilda Opinions" would be a good one for me as a moderator (I like threads where I don't have to do any work), but much of what has been said here has ended up with rational responses. Someone like Luke_sainters shares his unpopular opinion and he sees so many of his fellows speak up for the opposite view that while he still holds his own views, he can see that many more fans want otherwise and hopefully is more comfortable with the club hosting the first pride game against Sydney later this year. He may not want it, but now he knows that many fans do want it and that they are proud that it is their club using their public status as a platform to help bring awareness and play some small part in the normalising of LGBTI individuals

In regards to the discussion of the Pride match I try to remember in the end we are all Saints fans or potential Saints fans;)

I think its great that we are supporting all the Gay footballers who obviously live in Sydney ( ducks head and runs for cover even though it was only a joke).

The AFL has a unique position in society which unites people from all social classes, cultures etc.
I think anyone with that power and influence has a social responsibility to advocate these issues while they're still so prevalent. Especially if you can connect with those who're most likely to offend (think education, socioeconomic status etc)

Very proud of the club for jumping on board.

I think we are all imagining the Pride match through our own life prisms. I dare say that there might be some who privately hope that the the match doesn't become a deluge of rainbows, brides with brides, Priscilla outfits and other iconic symbols associated with being gay or lesbian. But sometimes when we worry about the trivial things like that, we lose sight of the fact that the gay and lesbian community are very, very creative and capable people within their own right, and occupy positions of authority in politics, commerce, and charity organisations across the globe not just Australia. The club could quite possibly in one fell swoop attract an incredible resource group to the Saints.

If anybody is against Gays at StKilda games then your against this great Saints supporter
CIP6RNYWcAAXZFq.jpg

So "do yourself a favour " and get with the times:thumbsu:

I think we are all imagining the Pride match through our own life prisms. I dare say that there might be some who privately hope that the the match doesn't become a deluge of rainbows, brides with brides, Priscilla outfits and other iconic symbols associated with being gay or lesbian. But sometimes when we worry about the trivial things like that, we lose sight of the fact that the gay and lesbian community are very, very creative and capable people within their own right, and occupy positions of authority in politics, commerce, and charity organisations across the globe not just Australia. The club could quite possibly in one fell swoop attract an incredible resource group to the Saints.

For those that are against us being involved in a pride match i often wonder how sheltered their life is. The odds are very much in favour that at least one player on our list is homosexual or bisexual. Imagine how they would feel that their footy club is being a leader in the field of equality. Even if they are not out it would make a massive impact on them. And for those supporters that are against this match I ask how does our clubs stance affect you? That's correct, it doesn't.
And for those that are interested, ALL of our brawny footballers are extremely proud of Sam Gilbert's recent efforts in supporting marriage equality and GLBTI rights.

I don't want a player as a friend. I don't care what they do in their bedroom, I am interested in how they play football.

None of my business if the are gay, out or not.

But if my club wants to support it. I will support the club.
Proud of the club in fact

I dont think homophobia has really been an issue

If you dont think homophobia is an issue in football, sorry you've got your head in the sand. Go spend some time at any suburban or country footy club and get back to me the first time you hear "*ing NTTAWWTta" as a derogatory term. You'll be back in 5 minutes.

The AFL has a unique position in society which unites people from all social classes, cultures etc.
I think anyone with that power and influence has a social responsibility to advocate these issues while they're still so prevalent. Especially if you can connect with those who're most likely to offend (think education, socioeconomic status etc)

Cannot agree with this enough. Well said.

Time we as a society stopped obsessing about ourselves and showed some leadership.

Not just for jumping on boa

Not just being involved but very proud of the club leading the way and instigating this in the afl

I don't want a player as a friend. I don't care what they do in their bedroom, I am interested in how they play football.

None of my business if the are gay, out or not.

But if my club wants to support it. I will support the club.
Proud of the club in fact

THIS.
What i can never understand is how the US Hollywood media go on witch hunts to out gay celebrities so that they can congratulate them on being gay.
I can totally understand that that some people would rather talk about other aspects of their lives than let their sexual preferences define them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want Hickey as our first ruckman because I think he is more value around the ground. I do not want to play a ruckman forward who cant play forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back