Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The pure fact about the Upper Murray is that numbers are dwindling. It’s not that kids don’t want to play football but it’s more that there isn’t the same amount of families living in the Upper Murray anymore.
If Clubs could come together and consider mergers the Upper Murray could have a strong, competitive and exciting club that could play in the Tallangatta League and create a strong club for kids to aspire to be part of.
Personally I would love to see that. I’m sick of seeing Clubs in all leagues struggle for numbers.

The pure fact about the Upper Murray is that numbers are dwindling. It’s not that kids don’t want to play football but it’s more that there isn’t the same amount of families living in the Upper Murray anymore.
If Clubs could come together and consider mergers the Upper Murray could have a strong, competitive and exciting club that could play in the Tallangatta League and create a strong club for kids to aspire to be part of.
Personally I would love to see that. I’m sick of seeing Clubs in all leagues struggle for numbers.
Just saw the results from today’s round and I’m wondering whether Walwa and even Corryong will have to forfeit a senior game this year. If clubs aren’t preparing for a mass merger they should be.

So all 3 matches in reserves were forfeits Old Kenny?
No results in 3rds either.
As far as I know. I think Corryong only had 18 or 19 on their team sheet on the website. Did hear they are forfeiting for the year but that could be bullshit. No idea on the 3rds but feds didn’t have enough for today. I also saw on the Tdfl website that tallangatta had 11 kids in their 17s today from the upper Murray. Make it difficult for us to keep seniors going let alone the lower grades.

As far as I know. I think Corryong only had 18 or 19 on their team sheet on the website. Did hear they are forfeiting for the year but that could be ********. No idea on the 3rds but feds didn’t have enough for today. I also saw on the Tdfl website that tallangatta had 11 kids in their 17s today from the upper Murray. Make it difficult for us to keep seniors going let alone the lower grades.
Any chance the leftovers each week from Walwa, Feds and Corryong can put a reserves together? If there’s only 3 teams that grade will collapse.

Any chance the leftovers each week from Walwa, Feds and Corryong can put a reserves together? If there’s only 3 teams that grade will collapse.
Not a bad idea mate but I don’t think there’s any left overs. Corryong had the bare minimum in the ones. Feds have none and I don’t think walwa would have any either. It’s a sorry state of affairs. Mergers are our only option. One little glimmer of hope is our under 10’s though. I know it doesn’t help anytime soon but all clubs seem to have plenty of boys and girls playing. Even walwa had ten or a dozen when we played them.

Are you sure the TDFL will let Bullioh in? On what grounds? Their netball has been getting beaten by a lot and they haven’t fielded and under 16 side for almost a decade? I don’t see the TDFL wanting a side that can’t field U14 and U17 and all grades of netball that get beaten by 50+ every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I know. I think Corryong only had 18 or 19 on their team sheet on the website. Did hear they are forfeiting for the year but that could be ********. No idea on the 3rds but feds didn’t have enough for today. I also saw on the Tdfl website that tallangatta had 11 kids in their 17s today from the upper Murray. Make it difficult for us to keep seniors going let alone the lower grades.
Pretty sad to here the old might demons can't even field a fully senior side let alone a 2's. I had a look at the teamsheet and I saw old Shawy had to pull on the boots, i hope this isn't happening every week. I can't see Feds wanting to merge, by the looks of it all clubs will have to put their differences aside and merge together.:'(

Pretty sad to here the old might demons can't even field a fully senior side let alone a 2's. I had a look at the teamsheet and I saw old Shawy had to pull on the boots, i hope this isn't happening every week. I can't see Feds wanting to merge, by the looks of it all clubs will have to put their differences aside and merge together.:'(
Welcome back demon85.

Sadly the UMFL is nearly dead. I reckon the Vic clubs merge and Tumba goes to the Farrar football league
I tend to agree, I think Tumba would head to the Farrer league, they already recruit out of Wagga and this would make it even easier to source players. I think Walwa, Feds and Corryong would merge to become Upper Murray Eagles, while at his stage Cudgy and Bullioh would go alone. At least one 17's and 14's could come from the league and stop the best kids filtering down to other Tallangatta league clubs. Like the Picola league I'd break off the TDFL clubs into 2 divisions by geography eg. Towong and Indigo. Bullioh and Cudgy are easily as good as the bottom 4 TDFL clubs so the standard shouldn't alter much.

Towong Division
Kiewa
Mitta
Tallangatta
Wodonga Saints
Dederang
Bullioh
Upper Murray Eagles
Cudgewa

Indigo
Barny
Chiltern
Yack
Beechworth
Thurgoona
Wahgunyah
Rutherglen
Bright

Bright were interested in joining a couple of years ago so bring them in. Thoughts?

I tend to agree, I think Tumba would head to the Farrer league, they already recruit out of Wagga and this would make it even easier to source players. I think Walwa, Feds and Corryong would merge to become Upper Murray Eagles, while at his stage Cudgy and Bullioh would go alone. At least one 17's and 14's could come from the league and stop the best kids filtering down to other Tallangatta league clubs. Like the Picola league I'd break off the TDFL clubs into 2 divisions by geography eg. Towong and Indigo. Bullioh and Cudgy are easily as good as the bottom 4 TDFL clubs so the standard shouldn't alter much.

Towong Division
Kiewa
Mitta
Tallangatta
Wodonga Saints
Dederang
Bullioh
Upper Murray Eagles
Cudgewa

Indigo
Barny
Chiltern
Yack
Beechworth
Thurgoona
Wahgunyah
Rutherglen
Bright

Bright were interested in joining a couple of years ago so bring them in. Thoughts?
You sound like your just talking about the seniors it’s about how strong the clubs are
from the juniors up you need around 50 junior footballers to play in the tallangatta league and that’s not including netball,
Take some pride back and become a single side up there.

ALL CLUBS NEED TOO BECOME ONE....

It’s a disgrace action needs to happen and bullioh will never survive on there own

Last edited:
Upper Murray Eagles? Upper Murray Giants? … whatever it is, who cares - there needs to be a composite team formed and if the planning commences now then it could be set up well enough to begin in 2020.

it is a necessity for the clubs need to become one to provide a vibrancy to football in the region and also a quality outlet for players to be a part of.

Hoping that the UMFL will dredge along and just keep on ticking over won't be good enough. The situation is not going to get better by clinging onto the status quo.

Bite the bullet and do what is right for the game in the region. One club with a full complement of players and a support base big enough to make it work will be something that everyone in the region can be proud of.

Towong Division
Kiewa
Mitta
Tallangatta
Wodonga Saints
Dederang
Bullioh
Upper Murray Eagles
Cudgewa

Indigo
Barny
Chiltern
Yack
Beechworth
Thurgoona
Wahgunyah
Rutherglen
Bright

I like this idea

Agree, all clubs need to become one. The gap between the TDFL and the upper Murray is bigger than you think. Cudgewa and Bullioh thinking they can enter as stand alone clubs is idiotic. The TDFL want a club that can contribute it all leagues of football and netball not just senior football.

Feds Cudgewa and Corryong all join. First half of the season home games at Cudgewa, second half at Corryong.

Are you sure the TDFL will let Bullioh in? On what grounds? Their netball has been getting beaten by a lot and they haven’t fielded and under 16 side for almost a decade? I don’t see the TDFL wanting a side that can’t field U14 and U17 and all grades of netball that get beaten by 50+ every week.
TDFL Clubs don’t want them in is what I’m hearing.

TDFL Clubs don’t want them in is what I’m hearing.
Heard the same mate. It’s a mess alright. As soon as we lost our juniors it was inevitable. I don’t think walwa can go on much longer and Corryong aren’t much better this year. We’re lucky we kept a few from last year. But there’s bugger all local blokes around to play senior footy like there used to be. I don’t think there’s as much angst between the two Corryong sides anymore. Maybe both clubs are resigned to the fact that they have to merge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back