Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m guessing your alluding to the Cudgewa recruits?

This is where country footy is rooted. It stopped being local. And when it stops being local.. the locals stop caring as much. Especially if their team isnt a premiership contender.

Good on Cudgewa. They’re probably flag favourites off the back of those signings. But don’t tell the public up here we’re keeping the league going for the community and then go and buy in half a team to win a premiership while the “community” watches that money walk out of the Upper Murray area.
No Club Names were mentioned OK.😉
Although rumour has it the Blues are in talks with a Big Key Forward with Ties to the Club as well as the Handful they just announced

I’m guessing your alluding to the Cudgewa recruits?

This is where country footy is rooted. It stopped being local. And when it stops being local.. the locals stop caring as much. Especially if their team isnt a premiership contender.

Good on Cudgewa. They’re probably flag favourites off the back of those signings. But don’t tell the public up here we’re keeping the league going for the community and then go and buy in half a team to win a premiership while the “community” watches that money walk out of the Upper Murray area.
Great post

Likely the last season, what a way to go out. Last name on the cup.

I have that feeling too. With the general decline in player numbers and increasing numbers of clubs on the brink, it is going to be a huge battle for many clubs and leagues from here on in. The Outer East league is set to lose its lowest division next year - it could have as few as four clubs come Round 1 this year - and bigger clubs than UMNFL clubs are lurching towards extinction.

A study done in mid 2020 - about 2-3 months into the pandemic - suggested that up to 40% of sporting clubs statewide would close coming out of the pandemic for varied reasons and unfortunately that prediction is slowly coming true.

I expect as many as 20-25 senior football clubs from season 2019 will be gone by 2025 with continued pressure on more. Some will be mergers and others will be clubs folding, but it is up to clubs whether their legacy will be shared with another and continued into future generations or whether they become forgotten as they disappear with only an old ground to signify they once existed (I have seen plenty of them on my travels).

Has interest in the league waned like it has in this thread? Clubs seem to be fielding side’s easily in the firsts and seconds. But I wonder how much excitement there will be in playing the same opponent every fourth week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has interest in the league waned like it has in this thread? Clubs seem to be fielding side’s easily in the firsts and seconds. But I wonder how much excitement there will be in playing the same opponent every fourth week.
Was only thinking the same thing the other day OK.
Premiership Hangover at Tumba or do they have a few out?

Was only thinking the same thing the other day OK.
Premiership Hangover at Tumba or do they have a few out?
Tumba lost Crozier, Volkov and one of the Lampe brothers and picked up 2 players but don’t think their as strong as the players they lost. I reckon Cudgie will
go through undefeated and then the UMFL will be no more!

A composite Upper Murray Eagles club in the TDFL would be the best option, but we know that some parties would rather see football disintegrate in the region before that would happen.

If everyone went their own way, I reckon Tumba would end up in the Farrer league.
I agree Farrer best option. There are still a number of Tumba players playing in the league, Nick Molkentin, Lachlan Vogan come to mind they may want to re-join Tumba. A few local lads also at CSU in Wagga as well

How are Clubs going numbers wise in the Reserves?
Seem to be enough on the team sheets rip but the info I had was that corryong only ran out with 14 in the seniors last week with the rest coming from the twos just before the first bounce.

Same with the juniors. With quite a few kids playing two games each week.

Seem to be enough on the team sheets rip but the info I had was that corryong only ran out with 14 in the seniors last week with the rest coming from the twos just before the first bounce.

Same with the juniors. With quite a few kids playing two games each week.
Thought the demons might’ve gotten some old Feds boys to make up the numbers 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back