Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone done multiple of the Cirque du Soleil shows? Recommendations on which ones are best? (Subjective, I know.)
I have seen O at the Bellagio and KA at MGM.

O was pretty impressive, water themed with lots of diving.

KA was more acrobatic with martial arts elements.

If you are wanting something fast paced go with KA. O is a more theatrical show.

Has anyone flown with South West Airlines in the States?

If so, what were they like?

I am looking at using South West for direct flights from Vegas to NO and then onto Orlando.

From what I can see none of the other airlines are offering direct flights on the days we want to travel.

I am looking at using South West for direct flights from Vegas to NO and then onto Orlando.

From what I can see none of the other airlines are offering direct flights on the days we want to travel.
I flew them twice. Other than the stupid pick your own seats system they were the same as any other airline

Has anyone here done any food tours in NYC? read some good reviews about Famous Fat Daves food tours, anyone done that one?

We did a lot of the tourist places, but still some good feeds. Just did the research ourselves and made our own way to them.

Shake Shack - great burgers. Go to the Madison Square Park one. 5 Guys are a quick nasty take away with some of the sloppiest burgers you'll find
Prosperity Dumplings - the place is a dive on the Lower East Side and the size of my bathroom, but for $1 you can get 3 dumplings & they're fantastic.
John's of Bleecker Street - probably the best pizza we had in NYC. They are huge too.
Sylvia's - up in Harlem. Everyone else in the restaurant was African America but the soul food was pretty damn tasty.
Pete's Tavern - this was literally across the road from our AirBnB place so it was our local. I still salivate over the prime rib there.
Essex World Cafe - we tried a few deli's including some of the more famous ones, but this place down in the financial district had the best reuben on our trip.
Ed's Lobster Bar - coming from Australia, any lobster is cheap elsewhere. This place does it well.
Grand Central Oyster Bar - cheap and delicious. Make sure you sit at the bar though, not in the restaurant part as they have a different menu and much more expensive.
5 Guys - a quick nasty take away with some of the sloppiest burgers you'll find. Good at the right times, like after a solid few beers.

Brooklyn Diner is a old school looking diner, food was pretty good. Its up near Carnegie Hall. Carnegie Deli is up that way too and serves huge dishes. Gray's Papaya for hot dogs up near the Dakota Building & Central Park. Any little hot dog cart around the place is a good quick fix. We stayed a block over from Union Square which had a farmer's market on Saturday's I think which was alright as well.

There's heaps that I've forgotten about. Hopefully heading back over in September so we'll keep exploring food options.

Shake shack is awesome. We went to the one underneath the Brooklyn bridge on the Brooklyn side. Was dead as, walked past the one you mentioned the next day and the queue was 20m out the door
Yep, Shake shack have the best burgers you will get anywhere. I had them at Maddison Square Park and in Dubai, both amazing.

We did a lot of the tourist places, but still some good feeds. Just did the research ourselves and made our own way to them.

Shake Shack - great burgers. Go to the Madison Square Park one. 5 Guys are a quick nasty take away with some of the sloppiest burgers you'll find
Prosperity Dumplings - the place is a dive on the Lower East Side and the size of my bathroom, but for $1 you can get 3 dumplings & they're fantastic.
John's of Bleecker Street - probably the best pizza we had in NYC. They are huge too.
Sylvia's - up in Harlem. Everyone else in the restaurant was African America but the soul food was pretty damn tasty.
Pete's Tavern - this was literally across the road from our AirBnB place so it was our local. I still salivate over the prime rib there.
Essex World Cafe - we tried a few deli's including some of the more famous ones, but this place down in the financial district had the best reuben on our trip.
Ed's Lobster Bar - coming from Australia, any lobster is cheap elsewhere. This place does it well.
Grand Central Oyster Bar - cheap and delicious. Make sure you sit at the bar though, not in the restaurant part as they have a different menu and much more expensive.
5 Guys - a quick nasty take away with some of the sloppiest burgers you'll find. Good at the right times, like after a solid few beers.

Brooklyn Diner is a old school looking diner, food was pretty good. Its up near Carnegie Hall. Carnegie Deli is up that way too and serves huge dishes. Gray's Papaya for hot dogs up near the Dakota Building & Central Park. Any little hot dog cart around the place is a good quick fix. We stayed a block over from Union Square which had a farmer's market on Saturday's I think which was alright as well.

There's heaps that I've forgotten about. Hopefully heading back over in September so we'll keep exploring food options.

brilliant post, thanks for that!

Bad news though, the Shake Shack in Madiosn Square Park is closed for renovations till mid 2015 :-(

Lucky for me the one on 8th Avenue is a 3 minute walk from our hotel! will definitely be heading there.

Yep, Shake shack have the best burgers you will get anywhere
I've not been to Shake Shack, but I gotta give some burger love to In-N-Out Burger. Some of the best burgers I've had. The downside is INO are pretty much a west coast outfit; predominantly California, but also in Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Texas.

On a more positive note, they've started making appearances in Sydney and Melbourne as a pop-up location. Fingers crossed this means they're considering opening a store(s) in Australia.

I've not been to Shake Shack, but I gotta give some burger love to In-N-Out Burger. Some of the best burgers I've had. The downside is INO are pretty much a west coast outfit; predominantly California, but also in Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Texas.

On a more positive note, they've started making appearances in Sydney and Melbourne as a pop-up location. Fingers crossed this means they're considering opening a store(s) in Australia.
In N Out is almost my favourite thing about the States. Burgers probably arent up to Shake Shake but i just love the whole feel of the place, the secret menu, the staff. Its fast food done right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In & Out burger is bloody good, just not as good as Shake Shack. I actually don't mind Johnny Rockets either

They are good. Well I've had good experiences with them.

Flew South West - JFK to Orlando last year and the TV didn't work in the back of my seat and they gave me a $25 food and beverage voucher to be used in the airport.

They are good. Well I've had good experiences with them.

Flew South West - JFK to Orlando last year and the TV didn't work in the back of my seat and they gave me a $25 food and beverage voucher to be used in the airport.
Thanks for that.

I hear that they have a unique boarding system where there is chance that if you are travelling as family that you may not be seated together. Do you know if that is the case?

Thanks for that.

I hear that they have a unique boarding system where there is chance that if you are travelling as family that you may not be seated together. Do you know if that is the case?
They have boarding groups (A,B,C,D) and you are free to pick which ever seat you want on the plane. We were in C group and both times there was numerous occasions where 2 people had taken the aisle and window seats and just dumped their bags in the middle seat. Or someone on the aisle/window seat who boarding early is 'saving' the middle seat. It's a pain in the ass system and I don't really see any benefit at all over having pre-allocated seats.

You can pay an extra 10 bucks and it ensures you'll get on early (Was always group A). I did that just to make sure I was sitting next to the girldfriend

Thanks for that.

I don't know. The wife had a broken leg at the time, so we booked a wheelchair (special assistance needed) and went on first anyway and sat together.

Don't know anything about that A,B,C,D system.

You can pay an extra 10 bucks and it ensures you'll get on early (Was always group A). I did that just to make sure I was sitting next to the girldfriend
Thanks for that.

That is what I was thinking of doing.

Seems a very stupid system and they must get lots of people arguing about seats once they are on the plane.

Talking about food, well a few posts ago it was. When you go to Orlando Nelso, you should go to Perkins restaurant.

Good family food and good prices.

Another story about food.

Was in LA yesterday (well Wednesday) and was walking down Melrose Avenue heading to Charm City Cakes as the wife loves the TV show and as I go to iopen the door, Duff Goldman opened the door.

Got some shirts, books, stickers and otrher stuff. Spent like 25 minutes talking to him.

BTW - the Americans love their cheese.

They have cheese and plenty of it on almost everything. I had a ham, cheese and turkey sandwich for lunch and basically had tro ask the waiter to tell the chef to only use 1 slice instead of the mandatory 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back