Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

It's definitely irritating, and you could argue that it's changing the object of the sentence from the possessions to the number. Don't quote me though.

I could not work it out myself but compared to some of the grammar butchering that goes around he is quite precise in his use of English. Don't know if its just me but he even sounds smarter than the average Push Up King

I could not work it out myself but compared to some of the grammar butchering that goes around he is quite precise in his use of English. Don't know if its just me but he even sounds smarter than the average Push Up King
I asked you not to quote me! :mad:

Agree though, I like Lucas. Just that habit grinds my gears.

Classic call from Bluey McKenna on granstand Saturday after West Coast beat the Pies. The other commentator was mentioning how for a brief period before Fremantle play, West Coast would be on top of the ladder. The conversation went something like, "They will have a view from the top of the mountain tonight, at least for a little while", to which Bluey replied, "yes, they'll certainly have ice on their nose".

Last edited:
Classic call from Bluey McKenna on granstand Saturday after West Coast beat the Pies. The other commentator was mentioning how for a brief period before Fremantle play, West Coast would be on top of the ladder. The conversation went something like, "They will have a view from the top of the mountain tonight, at least for a little while", to which Bluey replied, "yes, they'll certainly have ice on their nose".

That falls into the so bad its good category though.

It's funny when someone who never listens to anything footy-related gets in my car on a weekend and hears a couple of minutes of footy radio.
A lot them have no idea how much the language is butchered on air.
It's like, "what the HELL did that guy just say?!!"!!" :D Even the 'low-level' blunders, such as "I seen" or "he done it" get a big reaction

"Should have went" is one that Danny Frawley, in particular, uses a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember Dwayne Russell doing that last year when he kept calling Jack Macrae 'Shaun Higgins'. Higgins gets the ball and kicks it long to... And there was silence for about 3-4 seconds as his brain tried to process the fact that he may have got something wrong and will have to admit it. No instead he just missed the next passage of play hoping that no one would pick up he got Jack Macrae wrong for the 10th time in the call.
Reminds with Eddie in Freo vs geelong this year. IIRC it was Mayne (Was actually Mundy) kicks it... Mark taken by Mayne!

BT: "was he caught up in the vortext of the game?"

Spud pronounced "genre" as "john-ray": "I think I've found my john-ray"

Poor old Johnnie Ray
He sounded sad upon the radio

Come on Eileen -- Dexys Midnight Runners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back