VFL VFL Round 2 v Port Melbourne @ ETU Stadium. Saturday April 1st 7:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay is our 3rd best, you're right. I just wish he wasn't and could stay forward. Truth is he won't win a tap and will need to do the job around the ground to impact in the role.
He will share no doubt with AJ and probably Frampton down back.
We have no options left unfortunately

My observation from last night was

Allan, Ryan, Markov & Reef, top shelf maybe Bianco, McCrae & Steene

Others just making up depth numbers

Ginn not a fan and since the AFL worked him out, hasnt much to offer to force himself back in the 1’s

McCrae persist for another year but move on then, too Vanilla

Ruscoe built for reserve footy

Need to get those injured back as quick as possible and not get any more on the way!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who worked him out? He was kicking goals long after the persecution by umps began. All they did was rob him of another 8-10 certain goals had his name been Smith.

Thought it was a very solid first game for Gin.
This is like his first practice game. Clear off a little rust, but had really good pressure, laid some good tackles, involved in a lot of score involvements, which the coaches would love.
2 really nice goals as well. But he got a lot of attention thrown his way. He played a bit of midfield when we struggled to get the ball inside 50 so to get him involved and had a couple clearances.

Coaches seemed pretty happy with him.

May need an extra game, but that's up to the coaches to decide. But was good to see him out there again. In the long sleeves,and the too tight jumper, long shorts haha.

reef did very well with his 3 goals. Had a moment where he went off to check him after a head clash

Macrae, Allan, Ryan all perforned strongly. A very team perfornance really.
Jack is one of those players who won't always shine at a lower level because he plays in a graveyard position and relies on good delivery and being one step ahead of his opponent in his judgement and reading of the play. Slot him into the seniors and he will kick his two goals regardless of VFL form. As long as he is fit and fresh I'd play him as soon as an opening appears.

Jack is one of those players who won't always shine at a lower level because he plays in a graveyard position and relies on good delivery and being one step ahead of his opponent in his judgement and reading of the play. Slot him into the seniors and he will kick his two goals regardless of VFL form. As long as he is fit and fresh I'd play him as soon as an opening appears.
Def agree with this. He’s also going to get a lot more attention at VFL than would be seen/allowed at afl lvl. Still think he needs 1 more week

We should be getting Kreuger, Begg, and Cox back before the MSD. Is Naismith even a need? Is Naismith even the best option available? Are we even going to have a selection?
In my mind Kreuger is already delisted. I love his attack on the footy and courage and hoped he would become a cult figure. His body is simply fragile and I cannot see why his shoulders won't pop the very next time he collides heavily or tackles someone. Can anybody seriously see his body holding up through a rigorous 23 games per season?

Yeah, and reckon its only about fitness for him as they know what he is capable of.

Don’t get the hate on macrae. Misses the entire pre season with a back complaint. First two games he’s had 34 touches and then 25, and kicking 1-2 goals a game. Most games I’ve seen him play he’s having 2-3 shots on goal. Clearance work has been good, he’s laying tackles, everything he should be doing, and he’s coming from far back fitness wise. He’s not a “pretty” footballer but most inside mids aren’t, I’m hoping he will be our adams replacement

Don’t get the hate on macrae. Misses the entire pre season with a back complaint. First two games he’s had 34 touches and then 25, and kicking 1-2 goals a game. Most games I’ve seen him play he’s having 2-3 shots on goal. Clearance work has been good, he’s laying tackles, everything he should be doing, and he’s coming from far back fitness wise.
I'm hoping he can step up. It's just that jogging pace and lack of explosiveness, Everything he does is at pedestrian pace. In that memorable Carlton clash in the final round he looked lost.

Naismith is 30 years old, and had 3 knee reconstructions. Unfortunately his body has continually let him down at AFL level.
Steene has played senior footy at SANFL level, he is only 19/20, so he will bulk up body wise, and he looks a very good prospect.
I don't necessarily disagree, but this wasn't your original argument at all, you've completely reframed the discussion.

I'm not even remotely caught up on who the player should be, I was just adamant heading into the season, and even more so now, that we needed an experienced dedicated backup ruck on our list. I think McAvoy would've been the wisest choice, but yeah, like I said, don't really mind who it was, I just think it was pretty clear we needed someone and it's pretty obvious if we had Naismith, he'd be playing next week. We've neglected our VFL ruck stocks since we had Hudson.

Last edited:
1680410577912.png
It's interesting to see who they've come up with as our best players last night! Markov had a decent game, but I'd have named him down the order a few places, and Richards was rather quiet and shouldn't be there at all. Not naming Ed Allan is simply ridiculous. He was excellent for the second week in a row, and deserves a crack at senior football very soon. Ryan and Ruscoe have also been dudded! Put those three in and take Richards out and it would be closer to the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1647534
It's interesting to see who they've come up with as our best players last night! Markov had a decent game, but I'd have named him down the order a few places, and Richards was rather quiet and shouldn't be there at all. Not naming Ed Allan is simply ridiculous. He was excellent for the second week in a row, and deserves a crack at senior football very soon. Ryan and Ruscoe have also been dudded! Put those three in and take Richards out and it would be closer to the mark.
Odd, Markov did provide some run, but wouldn've have had him that high. Macrae should have been 1st with 25, 2 goals, 7 clearances

We didn't think Begg was ready last year either, but those games helped him. But he was supported by Cameron at the time though, and didn't have to do it himself. But it might be a bridge to far for Oscar right now.
Begg wasn't ready at all and how are you quantifying that those games helped him...?

Begg wasn't ready at all and how are you quantifying that those games helped him...?
because when he went back to the VFL he performed better than prior.
They say 1 AFL game is like playing 25 VFL games.

View attachment 1647534

I only listened to the call while I went for a run, but I must say it sounded as though Ryan brought his own ball to the game.

Odd, Markov did provide some run, but wouldn've have had him that high. Macrae should have been 1st with 25, 2 goals, 7 clearances
Macrae was very good, and given the poor preparation he must have had it's been a superb start to the season for him. He's another who is playing well enough to deserve a senior game this week, but finding a spot for him (like Allan) is the tricky bit! I think he's coming along well, and there's every chance he'll turn into a decent AFL player for us.
1680412986921.png
I thought Jedd Longmire kicked 3 goals, and I don't recall Carmichael getting 2, so I'm not sure if that's right.
The club website has:
1680413065887.png
That adds up to 22 goals, so something isn't right!

I only listened to the call while I went for a run, but I must say it sounded as though Ryan brought his own ball to the game.
He’s very composed with ball in hand. That’s what I like about him.
He has been superb in both games so far, and looks to be another top prospect. He does get a lot of the ball, and I think he was off the ground for a fair while in the 3rd quarter as well. He is a cool customer for sure, and should get a crack at senior football before the year's out.

He also wasn't required to be the main ruck which Oscar will be. If we play him so as to maintain a winning structure, we can't expect anything of him other than to jump up and down at clearances and endeavour to get a hand to the ball, or at least try to prevent his opponent from having it all his own way. He would be lucky to pick up more than a disposal or two around the ground. As long as we have no expectations other than to leave everyone else in their current positions.
I think he’s capable of getting up to about 10 disposals which would be within expectations for a ruckman. Frankly it’s easier for our players to shark taps from the oppo ruckman if they know that he’s going to win them 90% of the time anyway so that’s not a concern.

Macrae was very good, and given the poor preparation he must have had it's been a superb start to the season for him. He's another who is playing well enough to deserve a senior game this week, but finding a spot for him (like Allan) is the tricky bit! I think he's coming along well, and there's every chance he'll turn into a decent AFL player for us.
View attachment 1647574
I thought Jedd Longmire kicked 3 goals, and I don't recall Carmichael getting 2, so I'm not sure if that's right.
The club website has:
View attachment 1647581
That adds up to 22 goals, so something isn't right!
I think Reef kicked 2 not 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back