Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
So that went well first up, we slowed them down when they came hard in the second quarter and while they put a hard tag on Blackburn and were putting a lot of work into Brennan.

BESTS

5. Kearney was everywhere from the first siren, probably best on ground.

4. Brennan was very important after the first quarter and you can make a case for her being BOG from the second quarter onwards.

3. Ernst dominated in the ruck and was key to our midfield strength.

2. Blackburn came alive in the second half

1. Hard to split it but one of Hunt & Scott, both were very good in defense.

No doubt about BoG - that was Kearney. Brennan was good, but mainly from mid-way through the second quarter. We absolutely smashed them in the ruck so a lot of credit to Ernst (and also Sparks?) I also thought McLeod gave us a lot including the first ever goal for the WB women in the AFLW.

My best would be:

5 - Kearney
4 - Brennan
3 - McLeod
2 - Ernst
1 - Blackburn

with honorable mentions to Scott and Lambert.
EDIT - also O'Connor, Gardner and Lochland handy. Couldn't remember them all.

Ernst was a ChrisGrant-like pick in the draft. Taken at pick 108. Looks like a bargain.

Last edited:
Well I haven't caught on most of the team yet but Aasta O'Conner caught my eye with her skills on the backline.

so just got back from the game. Haven't learned some of the names.

Loved number 5, had some dash and clean hands.

Loved the run from number 10 too.

Overall stoked that we didn't shirk anything and bloody love watching Brennan glide around- she's a gun

I've watched all three AFLW games so far and I thought the skill level in this match was significantly higher than in the previous two matches. There were still kicking errors particularly shots for goal, but there weren't the enormous number of dropped chest marks that occurred in the other matches.

That was the most fun I've had since October 1. Alot of neutrals wearing other Vic club tops as well as soooooooo many children. The win was the cherry on top.

Ernst is my fave. If we do a thread again with first in best dressed on claiming a player, Ernst is the one for me. Love the way she plays.

I'm claiming Kearney. That chick wants the ball and loves to run through tacklers ala Jake Stringer. Ellie Blackburn and KB def deserved being priority picks.

I think this is a masterstroke from the AFL. It increases football coverage for a couple of extra weeks in the year, which is basically the period which cricket and soccer is more prominent, and will engage women (who are half the market) to get involved in the sport at all levels. It has also generated tons of publicity and goodwill, some of which you can't quantify in financial terms.

The quality of football will improve over time. It will take participation at junior level to increase the talent pool, and the opportunity for the players to develop in a professional system. Once this happens, I would not be surprised to see it improve dramatically over the next five to ten years.

In a year or two, the AFL should consider expanding the fixture to include home and away matches. So you basically have a 14 match season, plus semi final and grand final, from Feb to May. At least then you have an equitable fixture, unlike the rubbish fixture we have in the men's game. If this were to occur, I wouldn't be against the AFL season being pushed back to mid April to mid October. Then you basically have competitive top tier (for the respective genders) football being played from the start of Feb to mid October.

Selfishly, I'm happy with keeping it at eight clubs. It is a great marketing opportunity for a smaller club like the bulldogs, and a massive advantage to attract fans over some of the bigger Victorian clubs. If you're a young girl who might be picking a club, and you want to follow the women's team, then the likes of Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, etc. are not an option. In Victoria you only have four clubs to pick from. That's perfect. Let's attract and consolidate these new fans.

Great news to wake up to. I guess I'd better get used to supporting winning teams in 2017. It seems so strange... :p

I'll have to take a look at highlights later. Today begins the long task of preparing to sell the house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This pic brought a smile to my face this morning!

aflw_zpsldvltbuj.jpeg

The best of the games so far, I thought as someone said earlier that the girls play like our guys in terms of relentless movement of the ball. Freo looked good when they got it, but they couldn't get it enough and we were able to shut them down just before they enter 50. Amazing crowd again. Good fun to watch.

I think this is a masterstroke from the AFL. It increases football coverage for a couple of extra weeks in the year, which is basically the period which cricket and soccer is more prominent, and will engage women (who are half the market) to get involved in the sport at all levels. It has also generated tons of publicity and goodwill, some of which you can't quantify in financial terms.

The quality of football will improve over time. It will take participation at junior level to increase the talent pool, and the opportunity for the players to develop in a professional system. Once this happens, I would not be surprised to see it improve dramatically over the next five to ten years.

In a year or two, the AFL should consider expanding the fixture to include home and away matches. So you basically have a 14 match season, plus semi final and grand final, from Feb to May. At least then you have an equitable fixture, unlike the rubbish fixture we have in the men's game. If this were to occur, I wouldn't be against the AFL season being pushed back to mid April to mid October. Then you basically have competitive top tier (for the respective genders) football being played from the start of Feb to mid October.

Selfishly, I'm happy with keeping it at eight clubs. It is a great marketing opportunity for a smaller club like the bulldogs, and a massive advantage to attract fans over some of the bigger Victorian clubs. If you're a young girl who might be picking a club, and you want to follow the women's team, then the likes of Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, etc. are not an option. In Victoria you only have four clubs to pick from. That's perfect. Let's attract and consolidate these new fans.

Most supporters have "priority" logic. If there's no AFL, they'll watch VFL. If there's neither, now there's AFLW. Because it's footy. Even with the skills not up to scratch, I will still support the team that represents my club. #threeteamsoneclub #bemorebulldog

Libby Birch #18 was smacking into #16 for Freo all game. #16 hated it. My daughter went to Marby College with LB and had an interest in watching her particularly. She will become team enforcer no doubt although KB not averse to throwing weight around either.
I was laughing at Libby's antics.

Freo looked very fast with ball, but contested ball not great. On a negative note when the African Freo girl got hurt she marked clearly, the whistle went then got poleaxed. Then it was called play on WTF? KB took a clear mark in first quarter....Not paid. I know the lights not great but Stevie Wonder could have seen those two marks/incident.

Freo looked very fast with ball, but contested ball not great. On a negative note when the African Freo girl got hurt she marked clearly, the whistle went then got poleaxed. Then it was called play on WTF? KB took a clear mark in first quarter....Not paid. I know the lights not great but Stevie Wonder could have seen those two marks/incident.
Similar incident happened on the Friday night game, then the whistle blew for a free kick but the players couldn't hear it. Play continued and the umpires never brought it back to the initial free kick. Strange to say the least.

Only caught bits and pieces here and there, but very impressed so far with the quality of footy! Also when watching a bit of the Bulldogs women, you can see a lot of the way the men play in their game style which i think is really nice to see

Similar incident happened on the Friday night game, then the whistle blew for a free kick but the players couldn't hear it. Play continued and the umpires never brought it back to the initial free kick. Strange to say the least.
I was on grass in front of food trucks when Freo girl poleaxed. There was clearly a whistle. It was almost as if they didn't know what to do (umps) so they called play on. I think we got a goal from ensuing play. So it affected Freo hugely plus losing a player. Very strange.

It would be great marketing if they can get a good female singer.Change the words of the theme song .Cant beat the girls of the bulldog breed.

It would be great marketing if they can get a good female singer.Change the words of the theme song .Cant beat the girls of the bulldog breed.
Vanessa Amorosi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back