WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it's just me but I've usually been to busy having a good time and drinking there watching the game to worry that much about the facilities at the WACA. tbh find Subiaco more annoying probably because the place is always pushed to the absolute limit with it filled close to the capacity every week.

Maybe it's just me but I've usually been to busy having a good time and drinking there watching the game to worry that much about the facilities at the WACA. tbh find Subiaco more annoying probably because the place is always pushed to the absolute limit with it filled close to the capacity every week.

The lack of any shade was pretty noticeable last year.

The lack of any shade was pretty noticeable last year.
tbh I've only been there probably something like 20 times and maybe often got pretty lucky with mild weather when sitting out in the open, only time I remember it being bad and almost unbearable was going to a day game in the 90s on the eastern bank when it was still plastic seats.

Tom Percy enters race to build sound WA cricket future

LEADING West Australian legal identity Tom Percy has launched a bold bid to preserve the WACA Ground and wants a spot on state cricket’s board of management in his ambitious battle.

Percy says a recent successful refurbishment of the famous Adelaide Oval into a state-of-the-art stadium to retain cricket and football as major sports at the venue should not be ruled out in long-term planning for WA cricket survival.
“I wouldn’t want to be part of a membership of the WACA that trashed the place and just said we’re going to the stadium and goodbye WACA and goodbye scoreboard and goodbye 150 years of tradition.”

Well he's got my vote.

If you dont like the sun you shouldnt be living in Australia.

But I was born here, as were my parents, and I've never been outside of the mainland.

Seriously, that exposed area at the WACA always looks like a health risk on tele. People just asking to be fried.

But I was born here, as were my parents, and I've never been outside of the mainland.

Seriously, that exposed area at the WACA always looks like a health risk on tele. People just asking to be fried.
Slip slop slap. People survive spending hours at the beach on a hot summers day. Players survive spending all day on the field.

Slip slop slap. People survive spending hours at the beach on a hot summers day. Players survive spending all day on the field.

You can't pretend that it's not somewhat dangerous.

Sunscreen doesn't stop you from getting burnt, if you're sitting in direct sunlight for hours on end.

If you dont like the sun you shouldnt be living in Australia.
This is the kind of thing a 12-year old would argue. It's a total health risk. The WACA should stay, but the first thing they should do is try and minimise sun exposure – even two hours at the soccer is dumb, but a full day (and possibly one or two in a week?) baking, no matter how much sunscreen and long shirts and water you have, isn't very safe. Skin cancer isn't cool and surely preventing it should be really important?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but imo that's just wrong, if you apply it regularly and properly you should not get burned at all.

It doesn't make it comfortable. Sitting out in the sun on a 35+ C day gets very un-nice after a while. You have to really be a cricket fan to put up with it.

It's going to be uncomfortable at the new stadium too. Not every seat will be in the shade.

It doesn't make it comfortable. Sitting out in the sun on a 35+ C day gets very un-nice after a while. You have to really be a cricket fan to put up with it.
Wasn't saying that's it's good being out there all day just commentating that it's completely wrong that sunscreen doesn't work properly.

Wasn't saying that's it's good being out there all day just commentating that it's completely wrong that sunscreen doesn't work properly.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that there's a point where if you're sitting out in direct sunlight long enough, particularly on a 35+ degree day, you're going to get burnt, regardless of sunscreen.

This is the kind of thing a 12-year old would argue. It's a total health risk. The WACA should stay, but the first thing they should do is try and minimise sun exposure – even two hours at the soccer is dumb, but a full day (and possibly one or two in a week?) baking, no matter how much sunscreen and long shirts and water you have, isn't very safe. Skin cancer isn't cool and surely preventing it should be really important?

They really need to somehow install some sort of shade on those grassed areas. Doesn't have to cover the whole thing, but maybe have a portion of it that has some sort of awning or sail over it, just for people to get some respite from the sun.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that there's a point where if you're sitting out in direct sunlight long enough, particularly on a 35+ degree day, you're going to get burnt, regardless of sunscreen.

They really need to somehow install some sort of shade on those grassed areas. Doesn't have to cover the whole thing, but maybe have a portion of it that has some sort of awning or sail over it, just for people to get some respite from the sun.

I know plenty of white people who have sat out there all day and got no sunburn

I know plenty of white people who have sat out there all day and got no sunburn

nicolas_cage_meme_3__by_chicapanda-d5te4xx.jpg

ODI today didnt crack 10k. Granted it's at a terrible timeslot being a day game on a Friday, but imagine the atmosphere of <10k people at a 60k venue.

ODI today didnt crack 10k. Granted it's at a terrible timeslot being a day game on a Friday, but imagine the atmosphere of <10k people at a 60k venue.
We got 10K to SANFL games at the 50K AO and it was quite nice. Just don't let them spread through all 4 levels.

The pitch at the WACA :thumbsu:
Yeah and that's a big point as compared to the AO "do we keep a traditional AO wicket, which is a road, low, a bit slow, and not have footy or get drop-ins whcih are a bit low and a bit slow, and get footy, which will improve our facilities for pretty much all cricket?" argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back