WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of those crowds (bar the concerts) would've been before the days where there was less concern for spectator safety (noting they once got 65k into Footy Park for a Grand Final where people were sitting on the boundary line and on the time clock).

And before the days people didn't feel they needed a nice chair to sit on to watch the footy, never seemed to bother anyone back then.
People smoked, drank and did as please and had a great time. Of course I am sure there would of been incidents just as there still is today but it didn't bother anyone and most were happy as.

And before the days people didn't feel they needed a nice chair to sit on to watch the footy, never seemed to bother anyone back then.
People smoked, drank and did as please and had a great time. Of course I am sure there would of been incidents just as there still is today but it didn't bother anyone and most were happy as.
I went to one game at the 'old' Subiaco and apart from being being ridiculously overcrowded, dirty and as a kid difficult to see bugger all being short, yeah it was great.

Channel 9 gets their wish. Perth will host the first test of the summer against South Africa, 3-7 November.

Top 10 Attendences of Subiaco oval. The next 30 odd are all WAFL as well.

1 55,000 U2 360° 18 December 2010
2 52,781 WAFL Grand Final 22 September 1979
3 52,322 WAFL Grand Final 27 September 1975
4 51,385 WAFL Grand Final 27 September 1969
5 50,975 WAFL Grand Final 2 October 1971
6 50,883 WAFL Grand Final 18 September 1982
7 50,517 WAFL Grand Final 3 October 1981
8 48,247 AC/DC concert 6 March 2010
9 47,760 WAFL Grand Final 17 September 1983
10 46,885 WAFL Grand Final 29 September 1973
One wonders what the 1980 WAFL GF attendance between SF vs SD would have been had the 2 tier stand not been under construction still?

Channel 9 gets their wish. Perth will host the first test of the summer against South Africa, 3-7 November.
Said for since I had an interest in cricket that Perth should always get the first test due to time zones and at that time of year almost everyone has work or school

Good call

8033996-3x2-940x627.jpg

Looks like a very major rebuild of the northern end. Unsure if this is remodeling of the Inveraity & Prindiville Stands or a complete knock down and rebuild.

No walk-up start indeed.

Looks like they have just cleaned the stands up a bit. Cmon feds you tight campaigners . You paid for the scg to be fixed up
Ya-what?

You can't expect the state or national government to be funding a new stadium every two years? Obviously Burswood was ten years too late but you can't ask for much more when the city's in decent knick for venues. In the last decade, we've covered an indoor arena, a soccer and rugby ground, and now a footy oval. You've ticked every box neccassary and all venues are interesting, pretty, or much deserved.

Obviously the WACA needs a big overhaul but it doesn't need to be ruined like Adelaide Oval. Cap it at 23,000 or so and just have half of it banked and half a nice tidy, boutique grandstand for the other half. Keep it tidy, clean, and very well covered (would love to see them experiment with massive shade-sails, or some sort of grass-banked 'stand.'

If they get this done, Perth is looking ripe all over.

Ya-what?

You can't expect the state or national government to be funding a new stadium every two years? Obviously Burswood was ten years too late but you can't ask for much more when the city's in decent knick for venues. In the last decade, we've covered an indoor arena, a soccer and rugby ground, and now a footy oval. You've ticked every box neccassary and all venues are interesting, pretty, or much deserved.

Obviously the WACA needs a big overhaul but it doesn't need to be ruined like Adelaide Oval. Cap it at 23,000 or so and just have half of it banked and half a nice tidy, boutique grandstand for the other half. Keep it tidy, clean, and very well covered (would love to see them experiment with massive shade-sails, or some sort of grass-banked 'stand.'

If they get this done, Perth is looking ripe all over.
The WA Football Commission should do something left field here and offer some space to the AFL so that the competing teams that travel here have small base for recovery and training. Thus getting funding some funding from the AFL to help the redevelopment of the WACA.

Ideally this situation would be mimicked in each state.

The WA Football Commission should do something left field here and offer some space to the AFL so that the competing teams that travel here have small base for recovery and training. Thus getting funding some funding from the AFL to help the redevelopment of the WACA.

Ideally this situation would be mimicked in each state.
Well I do like the idea of it being a development hub for footy and cricket. They're thinking of putting dorms up, so perhaps your state carnival kids could be holed up and playing there. The good thing about that, is it's suitable for summer and winter with both sports sharing it with minimal interference.

I mean, for footy alone, you have your U16s/U18s interstate sides staying. Or at the least, the country kids playing for WA. Then there's the yearly state league game. Plus you could have Landmark Carnival teams or whatever. Plus the Clontarf kids who come up for AFL curtain raisers. Seriously, even the new women's league bridges the gap between cricket and footy seasons. I reckon you could just about fill those dorms 60% of the time. Surely that would at least pay for the accommodation or something, if you got CA and the AFL to chip in.

I like the idea though, this is the sort of left-field thinking you need. It caters to some needs but doesn't have about nine different people all wanting to capitalise and mucking about with one another.

It is not an unreasonable amount of money for a redevelopment. The problem is the WACA has been redeveloped a few times and they have all been ad hoc makeovers for short term reasons. This plan seems to make a lot of sense. Bringing WAFL back to the WACA is sensible if they get enough games a season there. Providing more shade for cricket patrons makes sense because it affects the attendance. 15 000 is a better capacity for WAFL and smaller cricket matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not an unreasonable amount of money for a redevelopment. The problem is the WACA has been redeveloped a few times and they have all been ad hoc makeovers for short term reasons. This plan seems to make a lot of sense. Bringing WAFL back to the WACA is sensible if they get enough games a season there. Providing more shade for cricket patrons makes sense because it affects the attendance. 15 000 is a better capacity for WAFL and smaller cricket matches.

WAFL crowds wont make a skerrick of difference to the viability of the WACA, the WAFC will have to continue to maintain Subi as things stand.

WAFL crowds wont make a skerrick of difference to the viability of the WACA, the WAFC will have to continue to maintain Subi as things stand.
Why?

If their rent is low I'm sure the WAFC would just stay at Subi until the place is torn down. And unless there's some sort of guaranteed future funding, why would the WAFC voluntarily or mandatorily have to upkeep the ground? There is zero point even buying some Dulux for the the place. It would be cheaper for the WAFC to just move into a vacant office space in West Perth or something, or even into the current Dockers rooms until they're torn down. There is almost no point of the WAFC being at Subiaco if it costs them anything.

And if the WAFC set up shop and offer some sort of non-AFL HQ, from games to admin to even those sleeping quarters, you've nailed all you can. You've set up a good central hub for the next 10 years.

It's kind of hard to believe that a game every week, or second week during the footy season won't make any difference to a ground that sits empty most of the year. Subi Oval has to be knocked down.

Perth Stadium, NIB, Perth Arena and a renovated WACA will change the landscape for watching sport in WA.

I have watched cricket at the WACA since the 70s, watched WAFL at every traditional venue since the 70s, watched soccer at the Lake Monger Velodrome, Dorrien Gardens and the WACA, watched rugby at Subi Oval and Perry Lakes, watched basketball at Challenge Stadium, Perth Entertainment Centre and as recently as last night, the Perth Arena.

I have a fair idea about the lack of foresight in the sporting infrastructure in the state over the years. There now appears to be a clear thinking linked thought process going on about what different sports at different levels require and what sports fans need. The WACA upgrade will be the final piece in the jigsaw.

Out of curiosity JimDocker, what was watching foreign sports at the Velodrome, WACA, and Perry Lakes like?

The Velodrome was ok, because the pitch was tiny, but the crowd was very close. Red Star Belgrade played WA there and their skill level was so immense, the small pitch worked in their favour. Saw Bobby Charlton play there in the night series one year. He was still amazing. Only a small capacity though and players taking corners often slipped during the wet when they had to step onto the wooden slats at the bottom of the ramp. I remember we got knocked out of the cup in juniors playing there when Ali Edwards missed a penalty in the shoot out. :(

The fans were too far away at the WACA. Like watching soccer or rugby at Subiaco, but the surface was brilliant. The highlight was Stan Lazarides performance against West Ham for WA. He was brilliant.

The fans were miles away at Perry Lakes. I remember playing there and you could not hear anybody in the stands at all. Not that I ever gave anybody anything worth clapping. I saw the All Blacks beat WA there about 90-3. Grant Fox was the best kicker in World rugby and missed something like his first 6 shots because of a swirling breeze, then kicked about 9 straight. I saw Ben Johnson run an amazing 100 metres there too and Steve Cram do his hamstring.

Kind of disappointed that I didn't at least go to one AFL game at the WACA.

The last game I saw at the WACA was WC v St Kilda when Guy McKenna stopped the game and called for a head count of the Saints players. They changed the rule after that.

Great game but the ground had nothing to do with that.

The best game of footy I have ever been to was also at the WACA. Dogs kicked 8.0 to 0.0 in the 1st. We came out in the second and did the same to them.

Mate I enjoy a game of footy, that's why I'm there, not one to whinge about the facilities.

Why?

If their rent is low I'm sure the WAFC would just stay at Subi until the place is torn down. And unless there's some sort of guaranteed future funding, why would the WAFC voluntarily or mandatorily have to upkeep the ground? There is zero point even buying some Dulux for the the place. It would be cheaper for the WAFC to just move into a vacant office space in West Perth or something, or even into the current Dockers rooms until they're torn down. There is almost no point of the WAFC being at Subiaco if it costs them anything.

And if the WAFC set up shop and offer some sort of non-AFL HQ, from games to admin to even those sleeping quarters, you've nailed all you can. You've set up a good central hub for the next 10 years.

Why, because the net revenue from manning the WACA turnstiles is $tiddlypoop, +/- $1.17.

As for the WAFC & Subi, I am unaware of any deal to release them from maintaining Subi, are you aware of any getout?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back