Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

From the guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...sistant-won-raffle-held-by-cricketers-charity

Shane Warne's former personal assistant won raffle held by cricketer's charity

Helen Nolan, who won a $60,000 Mercedes-Benz in the raffle held by the Shane Warne Foundation, is also a former general manager of the charity

Shane Warne’s former personal assistant won a $60,000 Mercedes-Benz in a raffle held by the former cricketer’s foundation in June.

Helen Nolan, who was also a former general manager of the Shane Warne Foundation, won the new Mercedes-Benz CLA 200 in the raffle held as part of a fundraising swim across the English channel by former AFL footballer Campbell Brown.

According to her LinkedIn profile, Nolan was employed as Warne’s personal assistant for more than eight years, from 2005 until February 2014.

Whatever you think of Hayden, it comes across as a fair and reasonable assessment. My only issue is the idea that choosing Waugh over Warne as captain was a line ball decision. Regardless of Warnie's tactical nous, he was never suited to the role of captain, which includes so much more than on-field work, and that was as obvious to me at the time as it is now. I was even surprised he was named vice captain. To me, he was the individual superstar, not the leader of the team.

From the guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...sistant-won-raffle-held-by-cricketers-charity

Helen Nolan, who won a $60,000 Mercedes-Benz in the raffle held by the Shane Warne Foundation, is also a former general manager of the charity

Shane Warne’s former personal assistant won a $60,000 Mercedes-Benz in a raffle held by the former cricketer’s foundation in June.

Helen Nolan, who was also a former general manager of the Shane Warne Foundation, won the new Mercedes-Benz CLA 200 in the raffle held as part of a fundraising swim across the English channel by former AFL footballer Campbell Brown.

According to her LinkedIn profile, Nolan was employed as Warne’s personal assistant for more than eight years, from 2005 until February 2014.

Oh yeah forgot the charity stuff, guess warnie actually did a good job making us all focus on something which really is trivial in comparison to all this business..

Whatever you think of Hayden, it comes across as a fair and reasonable assessment. My only issue is the idea that choosing Waugh over Warne as captain was a line ball decision. Regardless of Warnie's tactical nous, he was never suited to the role of captain, which includes so much more than on-field work, and that was as obvious to me at the time as it is now. I was even surprised he was named vice captain. To me, he was the individual superstar, not the leader of the team.

Didn't all the john the bookmaker rubbish come out just a few weeks/months before they named the new test skipper?

How could they possibly make warne skipper when at that time many actually wanted him banned from cricket for a while?

Matthew Hayden has written about it today

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports...d/news-story/a661ec2b3b35f5eba21ce411f857544c

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Matthew Hayden on Steve Waugh: leader, champion, visionary....

"He would often come out, in the privacy of the changerooms during a Test match, to make prescient calls on the match situation.

Things like, “This match is finishing today.” It was like he had a sixth sense and these statements would knock you over."

I can't stand Hayden's writing. Cliche-driven mayonnaise is how I'd describe it. Having said that, a couple of th anecdotes are worth taking note of.

Boiling it down to an alpha male competition probably isn't too far off the mark either.

Would kill to have a steve waugh coming out at 3 down today, selfish prick or not you know he would at least make them bowl a peach to get him on a deck like this rather than just thrash away playing his natural game.

A Test batsman needs to know how to occupy the crease, place value on his wicket. Warne's cricket was exciting and cavalier, but he wouldn't have last too long as a Test batsman the way he played the game. I like my Test batsmen to be a little selfish at times.

From the guardian

I always thought relatives and staff members weren't permitted to enter.

Disagree with every single thing you have said. A lot of the hatred for Warne at the moment comes from jealousy from the left wing of Australian society. No surprises who dominate the mainstream media now.

What are the black marks against his name can I ask? Most of these supposed black marks are either very minor or private issues between him and his wife. He has never broken the law, never had to go to court because of his behaviour and has never, ever harmed anyone else. Let me guess some of the incidents you will bring up. The info to bookmakers - was a different world back in 92/93. The breaking of the kids camera when caught smoking - not sure if he even broke it, but wow, is that the best you've got on him? His drug ban - wish everyone could condemn the essendon players as much as him as what they did was worse. All other incidents are between him and his wife i.e. none of our business.

With regards to Waugh, anyone who knows anyone connected to the Australian cricket set up at the time knows that Steve Waugh wasn't a great man manager and had a lot of non-existent relationships. This was why he put so much effort into Langer and Hayden at the back end of his career as he had failed in the past with so many others. Michael Slater never says a bad word about anyone so for him to come out and criticise Steve Waugh and his way of handling people says a lot to me.

Any evidence you have got to support your opinion of being self-centred and narrow minded? As all the evidence I have seen suggests the opposite.

Jealousy is one of the worst traits possible in people and, unfortunately, the left wing of Australia have it in spades.
If the left wing dominate the Australian media and influence society so much, how the F did Tony Abbott get elected PM.

Riddle me that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

38.3 Which batsman is out?
The batsman out in the circumstances of 1 above is the one whose ground is at the end where the wicket is put down. See Laws 2.8 (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) and 29.2 (Which is a batsman’s ground).

29.2 Which is a batsman’s ground?
(a) If only one batsman is within a ground
(i) it is his ground
(ii) it remains his ground even if he is later joined there by the other batsman.

(b) If both batsmen are in the same ground and one of them subsequently leaves it, (a)(i) above applies.

Waugh was out. The umpires missed it.

This is a good example of it happening - Chanderpaul doesn't respond to the run, but doesn't ground his bat before the other guy does. At that point it is the other guys ground. Like it was marto's ground

Didn't all the john the bookmaker rubbish come out just a few weeks/months before they named the new test skipper?

How could they possibly make warne skipper when at that time many actually wanted him banned from cricket for a while?
Warnie had way too many off field discretions and was a bit of a wild boy. Outstanding cricketer and would have made a great captain but the Australian cricket skipper has to be above reproach

Nuh.

Watch it again. Waugh had barely left the non strikers end when Martyn shouted no and actually held his hand up telling him to stop but Waugh just kept powering on regardless. It was Marto's call and Waugh completely ignored it in his single minded mission to get himself to safety.

Maybe there was 3 in it but it was a test and better to err on the side of caution in that situation but once Steve Waugh committed himself then it was only Steve Waugh's welfare that mattered. Clearly.
Ok i checked video yet again. IMO Martyn takes off then calls no and doubles back Waugh is at full steam and goes * it and keeps going. Martyn then leaves his crease in a vain attempt to get up the other end. Martyn totally screwed that up but Waugh probably could have turned around and doubled back. In the changerooms the consensus probably would have been The 3rd run was there,you should've just went and no one would have got out.

steve waugh test stats
averages
Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
overall 1985-2004 168 260 46 10927 200 51.06 22461 48.64 32 50 22 1175 20

Note high number on NO (46)
he was always a selfish player,
his first 10 tests ,only scored 182 runs !!!!
took him 25 tests to score his first century,
just as well he played for CA NSW branch, because he certainly was looked after
and if he had played or anyone else the NSW mafia press, led by Jim Maxwell would have hounded him out of the team

How many nineties were in the first 25?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back