Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/shane-warnes-50-greatest-cricketers.364471/

Wow, I didn't know that. Don't get me wrong, they were all very good players, but better than S Waugh? No.

If that isn't a dead give-away of deep personal bias then I don't know what is.

He made a list for the Times back in 2007

1. Sachin Tendulkar (India)
2. Brian Lara (West Indies)
3. Curtly Ambrose (West Indies)
4. Allan Border (Australia)
5. Glenn McGrath (Australia)
6. Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
7. Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
8. Ricky Ponting (Australia)
9. Mark Taylor (Australia)
10. Ian Healy (Australia)
11. Courtney Walsh (West Indies)
12. Mark Waugh (Australia)
13. Anil Kumble (India)
14. Rahul Dravid (India)
15. Graham Gooch (England)
16. Andrew Flintoff (England)
17. Matthew Hayden (Australia)
18. Merv Hughes (Australia)
19. Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka)
20. Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
21. David Boon (Australia)
22. Martin Crowe (New Zealand)
23. Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
24. Brett Lee (Australia)
25. Darren Lehmann (Australia)
26. Steve Waugh (Australia)
27. Jacques Kallis (South Africa)/Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
28. Saeed Anwar (Pakistan)/Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan)
29. Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan)/Craig McDermott (Australia)
30. Kevin Pietersen (Australia)
31. Tim May (Australia)
32. Robin Smith (England)
33. Allan Donald (South Africa)
34. Bruce Reid (Australia)
34. Michael Vaughan (England)
36. Andy Flower (Zimbabwe)
37. Stephen Harmison (England)
38. Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)
39. Stuart MacGill (Australia)
40. Kapil Dev (India)
41. Justin Langer (Australia)
42. Ravi Shastri (India)
43. Michael Atherton (England)
44. Alec Stewart (England)
45. Waqar Younis (Pakistan)
46. Dilip Vengsarkar (India)
47. Chris Cairns (New Zealand)
48. Brian McMillan (South Africa)
49. Darren Berry (Australia)
50. Jamie Siddons (Australia)

And this is what he had to say about Steve Waugh

This may raise a few eyebrows. Yes, he scored a lot of runs, but to me he was a match-saver rather than a match-winner. That is why he is not higher. There were also times when he struggled against the short ball. But he had good all-round capabilities and was always reliable in the gully. Mark Taylor handed him a wonderful team.

Waugh may have been selfish but I'm not going to trust Shane Warne to objectively judge him

Last edited:

Match saver rather than match winner is not even close to being backed up by the facts. Waugh won us countless Tests with his innings. Yes he was a great 'someone you'd trust to bat for your life' type but the insinuation that he wasn't a match winner is laughable.

Freddy Flintoff better than him?

uGMnHD.gif

Match saver rather than match winner is not even close to being backed up by the facts. Waugh won us countless Tests with his innings. Yes he was a great 'someone you'd trust to bat for your life' type but the insinuation that he wasn't a match winner is laughable.

Especially when Taylor was captain as there were plenty of times when the top order collapsed in the mid to late 90's and Steve Waugh had to save the entire innings.

Waugh had his selfish elements but that really is a bizarre and rather hypocritical attack from Warne.

He was rightly dropped in 1999 and yet, is still holding a grudge about it 17 years later?

Also interesting that, despite them falling out, Waugh has not really aired his dirty laundry in public about it once yet Warne keeps snidely bringing it up.

I know Waugh had his faults but Warne is the buffoon in this situation.
He is holding a grudge not about the incident itself, but the way in which Waugh conducted himself. He hinted it wasn't the first time he'd acted like that.

Waugh has no dirty laundry to air which is why he hasn't. Warne had the problem not Steve. So that argument is null and void.

I know if i was in battle i would have Waugh in the trenches with me over Warne anyday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is good to see that Warne has shown his true colours. If he was playing cricket I would have watched every second of the game but I wouldnt listen or talk to Warne about anything. Total 'narcissistic syndrome', loves Victoria and SwampCreature is Warne's love child. Reality check time.

Considering he averaged over 100 in each of the two most significant series of the modern era, the 1989 Ashes and the 1995 Frank Worrell Trophy, I'm not sure what Warne is on about here. Oh, and he averaged a tick under 80 for the 1999 World Cup and was probably player of the tournament after Warne himself.

It is good to see that Warne has shown his true colours. If he was playing cricket I would have watched every second of the game but I wouldnt listen or talk to Warne about anything. Total 'narcissistic syndrome', loves Victoria and SwampCreature is Warne's love child. Reality check time.
Feeling would probably be mutual back your way.

What I don't understand is that Warnie has never harmed anyone, never done anything illegal, never been in trouble with the law. Why the dislike? Because his marriage didn't work out because of his shenanigans? Isn't that a private issue between him and his wife. His kids love him and he seems very devoted to his kids.

I'm struggling to see why there is such a level of hatred towards him from some of you people. Actually, I think I know. The problem is with the losers who are easily jealous when someone is successful and does it with an attitude like Warnie's.

Everyone knows Warnie is a bit biased towards his mates but I'd much rather than character trait than some others.

A bit biased.

He's proven himself completely unable to rationally judge Steve Waugh on anything so how can we take his word for it that Steve Waugh was selfish when Warne can't even bring up any examples of it?

I have met a fair few current and ex Australian cricketers over the years and S Waugh has been a standout as a bloke.Making tough calls as a captain is not selfish,making the easy call and looking after an out of form mate is. G Chappell is also a bloke who i have a lot of time for and has time for others. The past summer i learned more about batting techniques just having a casual chat with GC than i have from anyone. Warne is the bloke you want to go out and party with and hear him tell great stories

Steve Waugh gave me the feeling that he was playing cricket with his average in mind. Not sure why but I just got the vibe from him maybe it was the way he didn't change too much if he was playing with the tail. Maybe Warne is talking about that. Anyway Warne is a legend and Waugh was pretty good.

Steve Waugh gave me the feeling that he was playing cricket with his average in mind. Not sure why but I just got the vibe from him maybe it was the way he didn't change too much if he was playing with the tail. Maybe Warne is talking about that. Anyway Warne is a legend and Waugh was pretty good.
Spot on.

He trusted the tail. He put faith in them and they seemed to respond to that faith most of the time.

Absolutely staggering that for all the hits he took, all the pressure he batted under and the many, many times he came through with the goods when it mattered most, and the Steve Waugh legacy, according to the sages at BF, is that 'he batted for his average'.

**** me!!
We lost one Test because of it (Boxing Day against the Poms, 1998) and he's never been forgiven for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back