Opinion we should all buy a tassie membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
why:
1) i think we all know the importance of sport in our lives. especially childhood.
2) the old timer freo supporters will remember what its not like having a team in the top flight.
3) its only 10 dollars
4) i think the afl, hawks, roos have screwed over a state for a long time
5) good place to holiday, and you can watch your team live

there are numerous others. but, thats all i could come up with in 5 min

the $10 membership is just for stickers.
No game tickets.
The real membership will be announced later, probably after coach selected.

the $10 membership is just for stickers.
No game tickets.
The real membership will be announced later, probably after coach selected.
thats not the point. it shows that there is broad support for a team in tasmania. givin how it hasn't happened before and the potential that it might not happen now. its important to ensure the team is created.

thats not the point. it shows that there is broad support for a team in tasmania. givin how it hasn't happened before and the potential that it might not happen now. its important to ensure the team is created.
understand, i was more replying to the conceopt of how many of there members will view games. yes good to buy the stickers. but real test for true suppoort is when the real memberships open ,

I am a Quay club member of Fremantle way back in 1994. That didnt get you seats either. stil had to but the yearly membership.

I now live overseas so i am an international members. Yes Free AFL on Internet now through Watchafl.com

I bought it. It’s only $10 and I support the idea of a Tassie team in the AFL. I also think it’s possibly the last chance of getting rid of one Vic team.
nah, once you reach a population of about 4-5 million you get both economies of scale and dis-economies of scale. relatively speaking we should see the large regional centres/cities grow more. in 50 years time. they may prefer a town of 500 000 over competing in a very large city.
a good example is ability to get to the stadium. in a massive city its a trek to see football for the working class. the most passionate supporters. in a city of 0.5 mill. everyone can go. thus even though you have 1 million in a big city. your effective live audience is oncely pulling from 500 000 thousand.
you can run a smaller, leaner stadium. become more profitable. sell your high performace centre land. buy cheaper.

i think darwin, canberra, wollongong, newcastle, ballarat, bendigo even second brisbane, cairns may poach one by the end of the century.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point! Even Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide are all named after cities. I hate WCEs, but since we came into the competition their identity isn't as significant.

I was always confused by the decision to call the club 'West Coast'.

If 'West Coast' had to be a suburb/region of WA then would it just be Perth?

I assumed it meant the whole of WA. Even though it says WC they didn't want to call the team "WA". They knew places like Kalgoorlie etc would get behind the team.

So technically Fremantle has two teams based in Fremantle. I think I'm gonna be sick.

I hate them being named "Tasmania". Since when was the AFL State of Origin? Same with West Coast.
I take your point but there are lots of other sports that use states/regions, think Golden State Warriors,
Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals, Colorado Rockies, Arsenal, Rangers FC, Juventus, etc...

Not being Australian, I don't have a sense of the history of the State of Origin and how it relates to the AFL, but I like the idea of a regional team.

However, I think a regional team works only if there is no possibility that another team tied to a city within that region will ever be created. I think this is the issue with Freo vs West Coast. It would be silly to create the Hobart Hellraisers after a Tassie Devils team was already there, which. But if no team is likely to be there then I think its fine.

No.
AFL competition is already compromised. This will add another bye into the fixtures.
Taking another 45 players away from state leagues will further compromise those competitions.
We need to reduce the number of teams not increase them.

No.
AFL competition is already compromised. This will add another bye into the fixtures.
Taking another 45 players away from state leagues will further compromise those competitions.
We need to reduce the number of teams not increase them.

Heard all about this view when GC and GWS came into the comp.

Can’t remember having so many guns in the comp as we do now.

45 players out of a population of 25 million.

Look at the local players GC and GWS are bringing through now. Tassie will do as well if not better.

Heard all about this view when GC and GWS came into the comp.

Can’t remember having so many guns in the comp as we do now.

45 players out of a population of 25 million.

Look at the local players GC and GWS are bringing through now. Tassie will do as well if not better.
And look at what the AFL has had to give GC and GWS to get them to be competitive. Tasmanian concession will further make a mockery of an equitable AFL.
I watch the WAFL every week and the competition is weaker every year.
There’s more to football than just the AFL

And look at what the AFL has had to give GC and GWS to get them to be competitive. Tasmanian concession will further make a mockery of an equitable AFL.
Meh it's politics all the way down, WAFL colts allows one junior club to cannibalise the rest each year / stack this same team with private school kids and viola you've already shut out probably 5 good potential players there and seemingly no seems to care.

Extrapolate that out and that's about 40 odd players a year that gets the arse because their parents weren't rich / had the foresight to get them into super club of that year.

The real problem isn't more teams, the problem is that people refuse to accept that the whole sport has become a private school sport and this has dramatically has decreased the talent pool.

The WAFL is nothing more than a breeding ground. Don’t know how you could watch this with all the afl games going on.
The AFL is never going to be an equitable comp with the continual vic bias. The more extra teams joining can only be a good thing to dilute their bias

Remove this Banner Ad

Back