Strength Weight/Athletic Training: AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to do legs any where between Sunday and Tuesday, I can be pretty tight on Thursday at Training but run through it easily enough, by Staurday I'm right to go, then do it all again.

I squat and lunge 1x a week and deadlift 2x (SL and standard one a week of each)

Still increasing in lifts which has really surprised me, I was expecting to be fatigued (especially through the legs) during the season, to be fair it has only just started though.

I was thinking of doing some more explosive stuff (box jumps, one legged exercises etc) but atm I'm feeling good so I'm sticking with the heavy core exercises.

I tend to do legs any where between Sunday and Tuesday, I can be pretty tight on Thursday at Training but run through it easily enough, by Staurday I'm right to go, then do it all again.

I squat and lunge 1x a week and deadlift 2x (SL and standard one a week of each)

Still increasing in lifts which has really surprised me, I was expecting to be fatigued (especially through the legs) during the season, to be fair it has only just started though.

I was thinking of doing some more explosive stuff (box jumps, one legged exercises etc) but atm I'm feeling good so I'm sticking with the heavy core exercises.

What about tues training??

I have Uni Tuesday nights so can't train, even if I didn't I probably still wouldn't train though. I play at my best fresh, too often my output is affected by niggles (groin, shin splints, calfs etc) so the less work I do the better I feel.

I have Uni Tuesday nights so can't train, even if I didn't I probably still wouldn't train though. I play at my best fresh, too often my output is affected by niggles (groin, shin splints, calfs etc) so the less work I do the better I feel.

If I can convince my coach that I'd be a happy man!!

you'll get enough explosive stuff from training/game - sprinting is plyometric

Yep indeed. It was more to create less stress on the joints whilst still giving the legs a decent workout.

Something to think about if later in the season I'm finding this type of training a bit tougher to recover from.

Hey guys, I haven't played footy since I was about 16/17, nor have I kept up much fitness other than my part time job which is rather physical. I'm now 23 and bored with every day life so I've decided to get back into fitness with the main goal to play footy next season. I am and have always been quite skinny, currently I weigh just under 60kg and am 5"8 tall (or short!). I started going for runs about 2 months ago and have just joined a gym with the goal to bulk up so I don't get mauled on the field if I do play. The gym I joined said they'd set up a program for me, but I'm just wanting as much advice as I can get especially from people in this thread with experience in training for footy.
I have started to eat a bit more but will most likely go down the path of protein shakes to fit in an extra couple of meals per day without having to make anything because my schedule is usually very choppy and that'll end with me not bothering to cook anything. I have read the protein shakes thread which opened my eyes a bit!
Is there anything I should or shouldn't do on my way to this goal? I guess ideally I'd like to predominantly worry about gaining mass for the next few months and then concentrate a bit more on cardio once I get momentum going on the weight front.

I don't really have any specific questions because being a new 'venture' I guess I'm most likely naive to weights and fitness training. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

out of curiosity, does anybody know what weights routines the AFL players do?

i always figured they'd do fullbody routines changing between high and low reps, working on mostly leg and core strength.

a mate of mine went to the same gym as ben cousins for a while and he said he did a bodypart split routine with higher reps followed by cardio which surprised me.

Talking to an AFL player the other day there gym sessions mainly focus on core as expected and id suggest involve a fair amount of leg work however they would want to make sure it was the last thing they fatigued during a week before the game, so unsure on that.

They also do 2-3 weight/gym sessions a week. Im sure its different for every club.

Talking to an AFL player the other day there gym sessions mainly focus on core as expected and id suggest involve a fair amount of leg work however they would want to make sure it was the last thing they fatigued during a week before the game, so unsure on that.

They also do 2-3 weight/gym sessions a week. Im sure its different for every club.

You have supplied us with very little info.

What were you actually talking about? Were you with Libba when he was off chops?

Hey guys, I haven't played footy since I was about 16/17, nor have I kept up much fitness other than my part time job which is rather physical. I'm now 23 and bored with every day life so I've decided to get back into fitness with the main goal to play footy next season. I am and have always been quite skinny, currently I weigh just under 60kg and am 5"8 tall (or short!). I started going for runs about 2 months ago and have just joined a gym with the goal to bulk up so I don't get mauled on the field if I do play. The gym I joined said they'd set up a program for me, but I'm just wanting as much advice as I can get especially from people in this thread with experience in training for footy.
I have started to eat a bit more but will most likely go down the path of protein shakes to fit in an extra couple of meals per day without having to make anything because my schedule is usually very choppy and that'll end with me not bothering to cook anything. I have read the protein shakes thread which opened my eyes a bit!
Is there anything I should or shouldn't do on my way to this goal? I guess ideally I'd like to predominantly worry about gaining mass for the next few months and then concentrate a bit more on cardio once I get momentum going on the weight front.

I don't really have any specific questions because being a new 'venture' I guess I'm most likely naive to weights and fitness training. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I am sure others can help better than me but heres my 20cents worth.Squarts and deadslifts would be a good place to start make your legs/lowerback stonger also great for your core.I have always like dumbbell flys help with making those tackles stick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have supplied us with very little info.

What were you actually talking about? Were you with Libba when he was off chops?

Its basically all common sense and obviousily asking mates about football isnt ideal as its all they get asked being afl players.

All that was said is they do 2-3 sessions of gym work a week which is basically core work. They also do there bulking in the off season which is pretty straight forward.

Sorry i cant add any more.

what do you reckon the AFL boys would be doing at this time of the season?? getting right into it, or at this stage would it be much more about injury management and getting yourself right each weekend?? i don't know if i could deal with 2 weights sessions a week at this point of the season. i'm getting in 1 at most, and generally that's been pretty light just stop the cob webs creeping in. got finals coming up and am psyched for that but i'll be happy when i finish work on a monday and not have to go training.

what do you reckon the AFL boys would be doing at this time of the season?? getting right into it, or at this stage would it be much more about injury management and getting yourself right each weekend?? i don't know if i could deal with 2 weights sessions a week at this point of the season. i'm getting in 1 at most, and generally that's been pretty light just stop the cob webs creeping in. got finals coming up and am psyched for that but i'll be happy when i finish work on a monday and not have to go training.

The Crows S&C is posting on Twitter about guys just hitting PB's in the weights room(https://twitter.com/PoulosNick).

Weird.

The Crows S&C is posting on Twitter about guys just hitting PB's in the weights room(https://twitter.com/PoulosNick).

Weird.

psyching out opposition or legit?? they're elite atheltics though and are trained to peak mid august through to late september so i guess it's prob legit. i still kinda thought when they say peaking for finals, it was more "peaking as much as one can after playing 22 weekends of football"... but that therein probably lies the difference between the amateur sportsmen and the professional sportsmen.

when do you want to be your strongest - round 1 or the grand final?

obv the granny, but my train of thought has always been can you actually be setting PB's in the gym and on the track after playing 24 games of footy every weekend?? maybe you can, i don't know.... it seems the crows are so i guess so.

obv the granny, but my train of thought has always been can you actually be setting PB's in the gym and on the track after playing 24 games of footy every weekend?? maybe you can, i don't know.... it seems the crows are so i guess so.

if you've planned your training properly in the weeks and months leading up to the granny then you easily could...obviously we don't have the technology the crows do to monitor training loads and how the body responds to them but if you listen to your body long enough and hard enough then you'll [pick up on times that you can train a little harder then normal or a little easier then normal to keep you ticking along quite nicely in season

I disagree that clubs peak at grandfinal time with strength. Just doesnt happen. No way a player benchs or squats what they do at round 23 or the GF as what they do during the end of PS or early in the season. Players set PBs in the preseason.

Come end of season its more about limiting injuries and being as healthy as possible.

I disagree that clubs peak at grandfinal time with strength. Just doesnt happen. No way a player benchs or squats what they do at round 23 or the GF as what they do during the end of PS or early in the season. Players set PBs in the preseason.

Come end of season its more about limiting injuries and being as healthy as possible.

we're not afl players and we only train 2/week plus a game on a sat so it can easily be done if you've programmed proeprly in the lead up...i do it yearly

you don't have set a pr the friday before the granny

Remove this Banner Ad

Back