Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Diet Diet, Supplements and Enhancers - Part III

Yeh learn to swim ^ haha

Your body adapts pretty fast if you really do give it a go and stay dedicated.

I use to stop after like 100 when i first jumped in after some time of not doing it, swam 2 times a week i reckon and a month or two down the track i could swim 1000 easy without stopping.

I would also recommend it for knee recons as do physios, they send alot of knee recon people to pulls for rehab. No weight bearing. You are going to get alot more injuries from running than swimming.

Same here, as long as the pool is 25m. Swimming is bloody boring too, and there's too many stray band aids and urine!

Swimming's relaxing (when there's not (excuse the racism) Asians swimming all over the lane or kids peeing on you). I find jogging relaxing once you get in a rytham.

Do what you enjoy, you can always do more of that work.

If I had access to a pool, I'd probably swim nearly daily. In excess of 10km a week I reckon.

As Wall-e said, it's relaxing. It's one of those things, to me, (like mowing), where you just get some nice peace and quiet. You get to think, sort s**t out and you don't even realise time is passing. I mean, yeah, go at a pace that will exhaust you but when you're in the water there's nothing stopping you, it's great.

My father is a distance runner. Mid 50s and he still runs 3-4km per day, he's doing alright. He says he loves it because it has that calming effect on his brain. Personally, I never got that from running. I only ever got it from swimming (and since then, lifting). But, meh, everyone is different. I grew up a swimmer (and I think that really helped with my broad shoulders), I'll probably end up being that 70 year old guy you see doing laps in the pool every morning.

I'd encourage everyone to give it a go, if you can. But I do understand it has it's issues (the change rooms, green hair [if you're a blonde] and the learning phase definitely being a big fat piece of s**t.)

I have never been so much in my own world before as i am when im swimming. Amazing feeling. For me if your whinging about foot fungi and asians (racism) than your making excuses. I dont like smelly, sweaty people at the gym either and i also dont like people who get in the way and use my equipment i want poorly.

I start getting pumped looking at the floor of the pool coz no one can actually see my emotions = incredible. Learn how to swim.

But i also do agree with and like Wall E's sentence. I guess you are going to do more of what you love. But i love to eat chocolate as do many people? should i eat more chocolate

Yeah, but if you're going to swim you're wasting your time with continual training. If you've got a history of shoulder problems then intense training won't be good but swimming a kilometre straight won't do much either.

A solid 400m warm up, followed by 1x400, 2x200, 4x100, 8x50 and back is always a solid set, and gets the k's through as well. I'd chuck in some different technique sets, sprints and another 400m warm down to finish with but I'm a swimmer, so it's probably a good idea to build progressively.

I still think the best way to swim is to join a squad and push yourself through that- it's far easier to get through a hard session when you've got 10 people to swim with and a few on your tail pushing you.

But i also do agree with and like Wall E's sentence. I guess you are going to do more of what you love. But i love to eat chocolate as do many people? should i eat more chocolate
Referring to excercise! haha.

On a related note, boxing is second best cardio work out only to having sex.

So if you want to lose weight, get it in/

Makes sense to me.

I only ask because I've been using an iPhone app (Jefit for anyone interested) which I've found to be a great tool, but it has struck me weird nobody else at all seems to log sets in any way...

I must look like a "person in the gym that irritates you" twat playing with my phone after every set, but it's for training good, not evil... :p

During the season I don't because I don't always get into the gym a certain amount of times per week so I just lift what I can to maintain. I'm more fastidious during off-season, although I find if I can't match or beat what I lifted the previous time (due to tiredness or whatever) I get pretty down on myself.

I used to do it, especially early days.

But I haven't for a few years. Now it's just a matter of thinking during the day/beforehand what I'm going to do, focus on etc.

And it might change once I start lifting; i.e. my body not be up to a heavy workout, so I'll go lighter, or I might feel amazing from the start, so I got for either a heavier workout, or a higher volume one.

Pretty much this.

I used to log absolutely everything. But I soon stopped doing it for whatever reason and my workouts were immediately a lot better.

I was probably setting myself up for failure to begin with. Trying to tell myself what I had to get done each session and trying to mathematically or scientifically overload rather than doing it by feel. But now I have a much better handle on the whole mind-muscle connection thing and I know when to fail, when to rest, how long to rest for, how heavy etc.

I guess for some people, especially new trainers, it would be good as they might not be motivated to push themselves without the use of logs saying it's time to step it up. But for me, I trust myself to push my body further when required and I'll do it purely on feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I log all my work sets (not warmups).

I review the log the night before i lift (in the morning).

Basically copy/paste my previous workout for body part. I set myself a rep or weight goal for each exercise and then adjust it to actual lifts when i get home.

Do this for a few reasons.

- Often i forget what i lifted the previous week, especially when i've been on a weight for a while and finally move up.

- I use it to goal set. eg. i lifted 6 reps of 80 last workout, so will aim to get 8 reps this time. Or i lifted 8 reps of 80 last workout so i'll try to get 6 at 85 this time.

- Long term comparisons. eg. How much was i lifting 3 months ago. Have i improved or have i been slacking off. What about 6 months ago, 12 months. What percentage increase have i made on my lifts.

Also in relation to cheating, i sometimes do that in the last few reps but i never record those reps in my log.

So if i did 6 reps with good form and cheated the last 2 or did them with bad form, i'd still record 6.

Referring to excercise! haha.

On a related note, boxing is second best cardio work out only to having sex.

So if you want to lose weight, get it in/

Are you saying

Alcohol = confidence
Confidence = talk to girls
girls = sex

*Sinking the drinks as we speak for a friday night*

Should burn off the cals of the alcohol, i like your thinking mate.:p

On a serious note how many cals/kjs does a beer have (generally) like a corona or something? And what about Vodka mls = cals/kjs?

Also i use to take creatine a lot when i was younger without knowing heaps about it, i mainly used it for recovery aid and and also to store up the ATP for my sprints ect. So should people be drinking this during a workout and before a workout. Lifting weights is mainly using the ATP system 10-20secs of exercise, rest and restore takes about 1.5-2 mins for ATP to top back up which is why i time my rest in between sets/exercises ect

Thoughts? Not PWO as most dont contain enough but just creatine with water?

Weight after time ends up being like uni. You understand what time you do things, what day you have units on and where those units are without a second thought.

Im now at that level without trying to sound arrogant. I feel its a waste of time. Maybe beginners and startes should get into a good habit first up.

FWIW i count every kj and protein macros every day. So i guess people might think im slightly a hypocrite. Harder to remember what you ate and what Kjs are in every bit of food and protein for that matter than purely gym sets/reps ect.

Also whats a program on the iphone 3 app that i could just write in what i eat and what kjs/protein that food has. Surely there is one? If not *making one now* and making lots of money from it.

My fitness pal is one I used to use but not much Aussie brand foods only problem I found. May have been more added now not sure. If only calorie king had a food log section would be the perfect app.

My fitness pal is one I used to use but not much Aussie brand foods only problem I found. May have been more added now not sure. If only calorie king had a food log section would be the perfect app.

I didn't like any of the websites per se, so I created my own excel file to track the relevant info:

Food Eaten
Time
Meal Period (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack, Pre/Post workout)
Quantity

Calories
Total Fat
Total Sat. Fat
Protein
Carbs
Fiber
Sugar

And I break it down to Total Eaten vs. Total Goal, then break down ratio % of fats/proteins/carbs vs. the total eaten.

If anyone wants a copy of it, let me know....it's always a work in progress.

Hey guys would like some thoughts on a workout routine I wish to attempt to fit around my schedule (living 35km from my gym in the city makes it hard to go at times I am not required in the city).

I want to try an AM PM split on Mondays. I understand it is counter productive to hit the weights for much longer than an hour. I am unsure of whether this is still the case with rest between the workouts.

My plan would be

Monday 12pm-12.50 Chest, Upper and Lower Back, Shoulders
6pm-6.45pm Legs, Arms, Abs
Thursday Afternoon, Entire upper body (excluding Abs) 1 hour
Friday 12pm Legs and Abs 45 mins

I wish to know whether my Monday would be counter productive if only done once a week or could still be effective.

To mix things up I could go a 3 day full body split for a few weeks and in some weeks where commitments make things difficult the Monday workout may be repeated on Thursday or Friday that week.

I would like some feedback on the Monday full body split. I do like the idea of each part being worked out twice a week over the 3 days I will be in the city and I can throw in 2 weeks of a 3 day full body split every couple of months to mix it up . Wish to be doing this untill about July this year.

2 a days are best suited for better focus not more volume and you can't fit 6 days into 3 so you have 3 options

option 1 - prioritse what needs the most work and schedule them for 2/week then the rest gets 1/week

option 2 - do full body each session but decrease the volume per session per muscle

option 3 - do the 2 a days x 3/week

for 2 a days do big muscles in am and smaller muscles in pm

Are you saying

Alcohol = confidence
Confidence = talk to girls
girls = sex

*Sinking the drinks as we speak for a friday night*

Should burn off the cals of the alcohol, i like your thinking mate.:p

On a serious note how many cals/kjs does a beer have (generally) like a corona or something? And what about Vodka mls = cals/kjs?

Also i use to take creatine a lot when i was younger without knowing heaps about it, i mainly used it for recovery aid and and also to store up the ATP for my sprints ect. So should people be drinking this during a workout and before a workout. Lifting weights is mainly using the ATP system 10-20secs of exercise, rest and restore takes about 1.5-2 mins for ATP to top back up which is why i time my rest in between sets/exercises ect

Thoughts? Not PWO as most dont contain enough but just creatine with water?
Very true. Not to mention the calories burned off dancing like a **** wit.

Anyone head into the MCEC this weekend?

Just interested to hear what the guys on here who play footy are going to do in regards to weight training as the season nears.

Two years ago i was still doing 2 sessions each of chest/should/tri's and then back/bi's (mon, tue, thurs, fri) which was probably too much.
The last year i was more 2 upperbody workouts p.w (80%compunds) and a legs day on wednesdays (although stopped doing this halfway through the year because they were a bit too stiff on saturdays).

This year not too sure what i'll be doing exactly although i really want to get atleast one legs session in p.w although it's sometimes pretty difficult as often too sore/feel s**t sundays, sore mondays, train on tues & thurs... so really either way am going to have to put up with leg soreness (from gym, not game) at either training or games.... upper body i pull up fine so i reckon i'll try to get 2x per week on that (possibly a heavy session mondays and a lighter session thurs or friday).

Anyone have any opinions on that? (Also probably important to add i'll be trying to maintain muscle/weight (4-5kgs) i've put on over off season)

Keen to hear what you guys are doing? (and Kirky what you and the guys who did your program would be doing throughout the year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back