Player Watch #7: Daniel Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

I love a player who thinks goals first, share later.
There aren't many around.
He's got that greedy natural goal sense.
We should take Tyrones number 29 off him and give it to Butler and call him DB,Kid will be a player

Last edited:
The obsession with small shut down defenders bemuses me as if your midfield is strong and your backman are doing there job properly it doesnt give the small fowards a great deal of opportunity - Unlike most people here i do rate steven morris and believe he is a very good small defender and is capable of filling that role very well.

Love to know who people here rate as the best small defender in the league and im sure with morris after his injuries have been sorted will give them a run for their money

Totally agree. Morris is a wrecking ball and played injured all year. When he is fully fit he will be a force to be reckoned with... I hope

Last edited:
Future Morris replacement?
Also insurance if Morris struggles with ongoing shoulder issues. Maybe we need someone that plays well on smalls, yet also has flexibility to change to where required. Not just a shut down player only, as this really limits his usefulness. Just not sure who is available to fill this roll. It would be good to hear from someone that really knows the juniors coming through.

Future Morris replacement?

God i hope not. butler is a natural small forward. He may very well be that missing piece in our forward line. A small with elite speed who harasses and tackles the opposition defense forcing either a rushed disposal/ stoppage/ or a free kick all in our forward 50. I used to love Andrew Krackour due to his tackling pressure, real or imagined. We have not had that for a long time now.

God i hope not. butler is a natural small forward. He may very well be that missing piece in our forward line. A small with elite speed who harasses and tackles the opposition defense forcing either a rushed disposal/ stoppage/ or a free kick all in our forward 50. I used to love Andrew Krackour due to his tackling pressure, real or imagined. We have not had that for a long time now.
Not Butler, we need to look for a small defender. So Butler is kept where he should be, in the forward half.

My opinion is that all players except Kpp & Ruckman should be able to play through the midfield and be part of the rotations if required
There should no longer be players that are small fowards,small defenders,flankers etc
I do see a need for run with players but they also have to be quality and need to be able to hurt their opposition going the other way

The 2 players that i see as being dangerous in the foward line are McDonough & Butler combined with a rotation of Edwards,Martin,Cotchin,Delidio.Lennon should eliminate the need for a designated small foward

My opinion is that all players except Kpp & Ruckman should be able to play through the midfield and be part of the rotations if required
There should no longer be players that are small fowards,small defenders,flankers etc
I do see a need for run with players but they also have to be quality and need to be able to hurt their opposition going the other way

The 2 players that i see as being dangerous in the foward line are McDonough & Butler combined with a rotation of Edwards,Martin,Cotchin,Delidio.Lennon should eliminate the need for a designated small foward
Absolutely agree with this, every player that is not KPP should have other strings to their bow. Maybe we have already got that defensive player we require in Taylor Hunt who can also rotate through the middle as well, will have to see what role they have planned for him. I just see our major flaw now as closing down these little forwards that have caused so much trouble in the past. If Morris is injured again this year, there is no one to step in for him. As the other issue I had with the squad has been addressed in the draft

Absolutely agree with this, every player that is not KPP should have other strings to their bow. Maybe we have already got that defensive player we require in Taylor Hunt who can also rotate through the middle as well, will have to see what role they have planned for him. I just see our major flaw now as closing down these little forwards that have caused so much trouble in the past. If Morris is injured again this year, there is no one to step in for him. As the other issue I had with the squad has been addressed in the draft

This role is the only role i can see Matt Dea playing, If he is not upto filling this role after 5 years on the list - Delist him , He cant play midfield and isnt a KPP so what role is there for him apart from this ?

Im also not a huge fan of Ruckman,I would also rather have 4 players in the side that are 198-200cm that can share the ruck duties, We currently have Tyrone,Griffiths as the Foward Rucking options If we could replace Chapling with a Defender /Ruck it allows so much more flexability to our team whilst also allowing us to go into games with another mid

Cheers Turky , really appreciate it :thumbsu:

P.s No intrusion, opposition supporters are most welcome here on the Tigers boards (hope I haven't over stepped my mark Mods). All we ask is that they are civil & you certainly are that...
Thanks mate, I'll try bring up some link some full games tonight because I've just been so busy these past couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the look of this kid. Welcome to Tigerland Jeeves :D
shutterstock_129940547-620x412.jpg

Just looked at his highlights again & his running style reminded me a bit of Gavin Wanganeen (don't think I got the spelling). If he could even be close to Gavin we would have a winner, winner chicken dinner...

The highlights on the AFL website show more of his one on one marking ability and it looks like he is a great mark for his size.

Can really go up and get it.

Butler is my favourite thus far from this years draft crop. He's got the best highlights package I've seen and looks like he's got some real X factor.

Suddenly we have some depth with the small/med forwards with Gordon, Lloyd, McDonough, Knights, Lennon, Butler, Shedwards.

Hopefully, but reading articles it feels like Lids has been on light duties for a while.
I wouldn't be worried. Lids has done plenty of full pre-seasons. If there was one bloke on our list who I reckon could have a limited pre-season and still come out and perform, it would be Lids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back