2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing this thread has unread posts when there isn't a game on and you just know it's the WAFL tragics
Yeah. I am glad there are people who are passionate about the league. I just found it funny that EP and WP fans were fighting the good fight together

This isn’t even all of it.

The Optus Stadium user agreements outline that 10.7 million per year is guaranteed from state Gov to WAFC.

So not only do we pay the WAFC royalty, but they leach off our match day revenue too, via state Gov.
Do you realise that the WAFC had to give up the lease on Subiaco oval for both clubs to play at Optus.
It would have been criminal for the Wafc to give up the lease without compensation,

The West Australian Football Commission rejected a compensation package worth more than $100 million over 10 years to surrender its lease on Subiaco Oval in last ditch talks with the state government last week.

The talks aimed to resolve the stadium issue ahead of the state election to clear the way for West Coast and Fremantle to play at the ground in 2018 but have left the stadium as a potential election issue.

WAFC chairman Murray McHenry confirmed that three major points of difference had led to government officials walking out of the talks.

*The government had offered slightly more than $10 million per year. The WAFC wanted closer to $11 million.

IIRC the reason the Eagles are a standalone WAFL club is they considered that Victorian AFL clubs were gaining a competitive advantage in having a standalone side in the VFL. It was thought that these Victorian clubs were able to ensure their players better understood the system the club wanted to play, and got experience playing in the positions the club wanted them to play. This ensured their young players could contribute earlier at AFL level and had better prospects of success.

To those now advocating a return to the model in which the Eagles players are dispersed around the various WAFL clubs (to play league or ressies), do you acknowledge that this model will likely see players forced to play other systems and played in positions the Eagles don’t want to develop them in?

I don’t like the sound of an Eagles team in a national comp because it will exacerbate travel concerns and I don’t see why it’ll ensure the reserves club is more competitive.

I don’t like the idea of a continuation of the basket case we’ve got in the WAFL because I think the Eagles will struggle to attract players to complete the list for the reasons others have mentioned.

It seems to me that the best of all worlds is to build a model for the Eagles similar to what Freo have at Peel. Yes, that means they’ll need draft zones, and yes that might mean the existing clubs need to agree to some re-distribution of zones.

It’s been suggested that the WAFL clubs won’t agree to any re-distribution of zones whatsoever. Do the WAFL clubs depend substantially on funding from the WAFC? If so, then surely the WAFC can force the WAFL clubs to come to the table.

The state government paid for the license in 1989, not right away. Remember both aspects went bankrupt. Eagles consortium but also WA football too. WAFC was formed to fix both issues not just Eagles one.

Honestly, if there isn't more of a reason to write a book in detail about history and its the background stories like this. All the bullshit up to modern times, hopefully they release it for 50 year anniversary with some behind the scenes photos .etc

But nevertheless the argument remains. No one cares about the WAFL - its all about the Eagles, wafl clubs may have played a part but lets be honest we run football in this state. So sit down and do as we say, the end.

It seems to me that the best of all worlds is to build a model for the Eagles similar to what Freo have at Peel. Yes, that means they’ll need draft zones, and yes that might mean the existing clubs need to agree to some re-distribution of zones.

That’s a long way from the best of all worlds. There’s a lot that goes on with running a genuine WAFL club that will take time and effort and resources that the AFL side will see very little benefit from.

How much effort do you think the club will put into developing the grass roots clubs in their zone, given they’d have no priority draft access to anyone they developed?

How much effort do you think they’d put into the WAFL reserves team they’d have to field, given even fielding a senior WAFL side seems to be a headache at the moment?

That’s a long way from the best of all worlds. There’s a lot that goes on with running a genuine WAFL club that will take time and effort and resources that the AFL side will see very little benefit from.

How much effort do you think the club will put into developing the grass roots clubs in their zone, given they’d have no priority draft access to anyone they developed?

How much effort do you think they’d put into the WAFL reserves team they’d have to field, given even fielding a senior WAFL side seems to be a headache at the moment?
There’d be work associated with that but I’m envisaging a model like Peel, and that work would be primarily handled by the new WAFL club which would have zones to assist it to find players. Peel was an entirely new club in 1996.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’d be work associated with that but I’m envisaging a model like Peel, and that work would be primarily handled by the new WAFL club which would have zones to assist it to find players. Peel was an entirely new club in 1996.

So an entirely new WAFL club is being set up solely to benefit us, but we don’t have to do any of the grunt work?

Sounds fantastic. Which area do we get?

Do you realise that the WAFC had to give up the lease on Subiaco oval for both clubs to play at Optus.
It would have been criminal for the Wafc to give up the lease without compensation,

The West Australian Football Commission rejected a compensation package worth more than $100 million over 10 years to surrender its lease on Subiaco Oval in last ditch talks with the state government last week.

The talks aimed to resolve the stadium issue ahead of the state election to clear the way for West Coast and Fremantle to play at the ground in 2018 but have left the stadium as a potential election issue.

WAFC chairman Murray McHenry confirmed that three major points of difference had led to government officials walking out of the talks.

*The government had offered slightly more than $10 million per year. The WAFC wanted closer to $11 million.

Sure. I know all this.

I’m just stating that WAFC do very well out of WA clubs, West Coast in particular.

10.7m for 10 years is a great deal for WAFC, especially considering Subiaco become a decrepit, embarrassing shithole on their watch.

Also, let’s not forget that WAFC were given the lease to Subiaco for free, and have now turned that into a 107 million dollar windfall from WAFC Gov, on the back of West Coast stadium revenue.

This on top of holding our license - which is worth north of 250 million when considering current assets and future revenues, all for bailing out what was 11 million in debt 35 years ago.

All of this, and yet WAFC still underperform in producing talent in comparison to population given WA is a footy state, because they’d rather focus on their poxy state league.

Bunch of scabs to be quite honest.

The state government paid for the license in 1989, not right away. Remember both aspects went bankrupt. Eagles consortium but also WA football too. WAFC was formed to fix both issues not just Eagles one.

400k upfront which was just a loan though and rest paid off with profit over time. WAFC didn’t have 4 mill in cash on them for example. It was just given to them on the cheap

Apologies I didn’t explain what I meant well. I mean given licenses without a privatised or expansive search for alternatives

This isn’t true.

The original deal was 4 million dollars over 10 years.

The VFL presidents vote was tight and we wouldn’t have been accepted. VFL CEO Oakley bribed Fitzroy to vote to let us in to comp in exchange for 4 million upfront that would be distributed to existing VFL clubs, essentially saving Fitzroy from becoming immediately insolvent.

The consortium ended up getting a bank loan for outstanding licence costs, which formed part of our debt, on top of accrued operating losses 1987-1989 which saw us almost go under becuase of debt, which totalled 11 million in 1989.

This isn’t true.

The original deal was 4 million dollars over 10 years.

The VFL presidents vote was tight and we wouldn’t have been accepted. VFL CEO Oakley bribed Fitzroy to vote to let us in to comp in exchange for 4 million upfront that would be distributed to existing VFL clubs, essentially saving Fitzroy from becoming immediately insolvent.

The consortium ended up getting a bank loan for outstanding licence costs, which formed part of our debt, on top of accrued operating losses 1987-1989 which saw us almost go under becuase of debt, which totalled 11 million in 1989.
The consortium paid 400k in cash and rest on loan is where i got confused. I think the state government only gave 9 mill. Im thinking 2 mill got wiped off by someone also ?

Sure. I know all this.

I’m just stating that WAFC do very well out of WA clubs, West Coast in particular.

10.7m for 10 years is a great deal for WAFC, especially considering Subiaco become a decrepit, embarrassing shithole on their watch.

Also, let’s not forget that WAFC were given the lease to Subiaco for free, and have now turned that into a 107 million dollar windfall from WAFC Gov, on the back of West Coast stadium revenue.

This on top of holding our license - which is worth north of 250 million when considering current assets and future revenues, all for bailing out what was 11 million in debt 35 years ago.

All of this, and yet WAFC still underperform in producing talent in comparison to population given WA is a footy state, because they’d rather focus on their poxy state league.

Bunch of scabs to be quite honest.

Agree with all of that except the part they focus on the state league, ask any WAFL club and they will tell you the focus they get from the WAFC is virtually lip service.
Definitely agree about producing talent. That we have so few under 17 sides in WA is a genuine concern for the future.

Let’s put this in a bit of perspective guys, this is just football. Hardly life or death or anything that will have any significant impact on people’s lives.
Surely from a footy sense a bunch of so called informed adults can sit down do what’s right for football in WA as the priority.
That’s what’s right for the WCE, the Dockers, the WAFL and all football below.
There simply has to be a way to give something that helps all out.

So an entirely new WAFL club is being set up solely to benefit us, but we don’t have to do any of the grunt work?

Sounds fantastic. Which area do we get?
If the Eagles are the WAFC’s main cash cow, and the WAFL clubs benefit from distributions from the WAFC, then all WAFL clubs have an interest in seeing the Eagles competitive. And none of the WAFL clubs want to align with the Eagles. So the model I’ve suggested would not be solely for the Eagles benefit.

As to which areas we’d get, that’d be a controversial subject. But there’s a precedent for that exercise with Peel. It’s not insurmountable.

I realise it’s a significant exercise and a long-term build. But at the moment it seems we’re being invited to take a choice of a selection of sh#t sandwiches - not very appealing.

What model do you propose?

What model do you propose?

The one we’ve got, except investing more time and resources into it. Training together more often, training sessions with the non-best 22 of the AFL squad and the top ups together more often, putting more effort into recruiting decent players since we’re nowhere near our points cap. Maybe tweak things a little so we’re not so adherent to training the AFL side’s gameplan at all costs even when it results in a thrashing, be more flexible about switching things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back