Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tigers who won the inaugural Western Border pennant in the original high standard 12 team competition back in 1964 and the last flag of the nine team league in 2012 look set – barring injury and complacency – to snare the 50th honour in a lacklustre six team competition where the overall standard of play continues to wane.
West Gambier Football Club president, Mr David Badman aptly expressed at the half time gathering of officials when he said: “We need an even competition or the clubs will suffer at the gate.”

Comments just emerging in the local paper, cant believe how slow these clowns are this has been
happening for years, re they now just starting to wake up now that the show is over. The WBFL has been decimated by incompetence for years?????????:confused:

That was a rod morris article who is clearly an expert. I think it was expected that the standard would drop off this year. I think people are jumping the gun, wait and see what happens.

How much are the council spending on North's home ground? Should ask the council to build 4 clubrooms and we all move in.
From what i understand council has promised North $700,000 providing that they get all there other grants approved from Gov,Afl ,Sanfl ect.I believe council has already given North $200,000 up front which helped pay for their new lights /netball courts !! What a JOKE if true .Council & WBFL are shooting themselves in the foot by strongly supporting this proposal & putting 1 club (North) up on a pedistal & assuring their long term survival for the future, while the other clubs are slowly DYING .They should be spreading that money around evenly & make sure that all clubs will SURVIVE ,not just the North Gambier Football & Netball Club !!!!!!!!

Sanfl are supporting vansittart park in becoming a premier oval, similar to the vcfl supporting reid oval in warrnambool in becoming a premier ground. There's no favourtism towards one club, north are blessed by location.

Its funny that the SANFL are backing Vansittart park to be the premier ground in the region, as personally I find Blue Lake Sports park & McDonald park to be better grounds.

The only reason Vansittart is getting the upgrade is because North have the financial viability ti be able to tip in to the funding model. Funding is usually granted on a $ for $ basis. Based upon all the posts above re $, North are the only ones in the race to get the upgrade.

I thought if you received money from gaming machines you were pretty well restricted from getting all these grants from the Government? Must be a myth because North who are making a killing from gambling seem to be getting nicely set up by the tax payer.

I thought if you received money from gaming machines you were pretty well restricted from getting all these grants from the Government? Must be a myth because North who are making a killing from gambling seem to be getting nicely set up by the tax payer.

Not sure about SA legislation, but it's a money talks society. Funding for projects like this are always dollar for dollar. To get x, you need a contribution from the tenant club, matched and supported by the Council and then the SANFL and or Feds. Every club in Australia has grand plans, but unless you can get your hands on some cashola of your own or via private grants or your own reserves - no one plays ball. I should point out that the current preferred funding projects are ones that incorporate multiple users, not just one. There is a school of thought that suggests a major oval upgrade, should encompass multiple clubs and usages. Ie, West might partner up and agree to play their home games at Vansittart etc. I'm not for one minute suggesting that will happen, but that's where it's going. The days of having four major grounds in the Mount for footy, plus Frew Park are sadly gone. North are obviously in a far better financial position than everyone else and regardless of your stand on Pokies, they look like they are the only ones that can fund a project of this ilk.

Cant see why 4 major clubs in the mount are unsustainable with a population of 27, 000 and growing. Frew park has never been used for footy. The mount clubs were ranked 1 to 4 in the review. Last I heard a new mount club is still on the agenda.

East Gambier
8.7-55

South Gambier
29.12-186
Another nail in Easts coffin here put in again by South.
Carmen must be having nightmares being roped into this debacle they must have sold him a story to step into this bottomless pit!:confused:
Casterton
16.13-109
West Gambier
10.12-72
Good to see Casterton have a substantial win. West were full of hot air in regards to their improvement this year!
North Gambier
24.14-158

Millicent
6.3-39
North making Millicent look very ordinary!

Yep its definitely looking like a north vs south grand final. No holmes or ransom in the line up...was it a once off ??
Rumour is there will definitely be changes next year, but what it is and what the league will look like is being kept tight lipped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the first cycle of rounds is this the way you would have predicted the ladder looking?
Will it look the same after the next cycle?
Will anyone be able to knock off North?
Will East win a game?
Predictions for top 4 come the end of the season?

I think this round we will see much the same results but with South & Casterton moving closer to North.
Rd 10: Casterton V South will be the game of the second
North will look shaky as they become complacent & may lose a game.
East won't win one
The ladder will remain much the same Millicent may leapfrog West & Casterton vs South as mentioned above will be very interesting!

LADDER AFTER ROUND 5

POS
TEAM​
PWLDBFFFORAGST%PTS
1 5 5 0 0 0 0 711 269 264.31 10
2 5 4 1 0 0 0 564 357 157.98 8
3 5 3 2 0 0 0 390 472 82.63 6
4 5 2 3 0 0 0 404 520 77.69 4
5 5 1 4 0 0 0 356 536 66.42 2
6 5 0 5 0 0 0 325 596 54.53 0

Vivacious

The only thing that may change here is the position of West and Casterton all else will remain exactly the same!

Only a tornado hitting the region will change anything here!

You could almost put your life on North winning the flag, no other team is anywhere near them. It is not that North are that good it is everyone else is that bad! The only slight doubt i have is that we may not have seen the best of South so far. Their win over East was much larger than what i would have thought, whether that will translate with any result against North is anybodies guess, i personally doubt it because East is so pathetic you could not use them as a measuring stick!

Ill be very interested to see how Millicent bounce back , after three of the most uncompetitive quarters I think I have ever seen.

First time around they lost narrowly to both Casterton & West. In both games they had chances to win but never took them. Any hope at all of making finals (even just to make up the numbers) will hinge on how the next 2 games go for them.

Lets hope South can pick up as the season goes on. At least give North some competition and add some interest to what looks like a one horse race season.

Ill be very interested to see how Millicent bounce back , after three of the most uncompetitive quarters I think I have ever seen.

I dont think Millicent will be bouncing back from anything except the concrete. they must have been woeful against West today a 16 goal hiding. Players must be missing there??
East scored a good win over Casterton at the cats home ground, very surprising with a three goal win!
North accounted for South by 33 points!

I dont think Millicent will be bouncing back from anything except the concrete. they must have been woeful against West today a 16 goal hiding. Players must be missing there??
East scored a good win over Casterton at the cats home ground, very surprising with a three goal win!
North accounted for South by 33 points!

First half was ok, West led by only 20 odd points. After halftime completely one way traffic.

Missing a couple of players but that's no reason to get smashed.

First half was ok, West led by only 20 odd points. After halftime completely one way traffic.

Think Millicent will be in trouble as the year goes on, but are giving some young promising juniors a taste of senior football. I see west also had a few out. Wenman is a key out, they need him fit and firing if are going to be any kind of contenders. Can see them slowly gelling and becoming good at the right end of the year.

Think Millicent will be in trouble as the year goes on, but are giving some young promising juniors a taste of senior football. I see west also had a few out. Wenman is a key out, they need him fit and firing if are going to be any kind of contenders. Can see them slowly gelling and becoming good at the right end of the year.

Millicent do have some good young players coming through. But it will be a matter of keeping them at the club, which always seems to be an issue.

Millicent missing Wilson & Pickett, West missing Whenman & Fox .
Very disappointing effort from Millicent considering how important that game
was for them making the finals. Any news on Picketts NO SHOW ,has he lost
interest ? will we see him again ?
See West have just signed Elliot King ( SANFL ) sounds like another handy inclusion !!
Are they going to make a late charge ?

Think east have left there run to late bringing in 2 league players from the SANFL. Rumour is will set them back $12k for the rest of the year. Casterton coach once again yellow carded and come off bit worse for wear.. He should just worry about playing footy instead of running around like a clown... Injury problems for south?? Also few matters within the camp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back